All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
fake butter??
      #11079 - 06/08/03 09:57 AM
gator

Reged: 05/26/03
Loc: Florida

Does anyone know if "I can't believe it's not butter" butter spray is a safe food? I can't eat baked potatoes plain, it needs something. Also, are pickles ok??

--------------------
Thank You

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: fake butter?? new
      #11092 - 06/08/03 03:56 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

hi I use it all the time so I think it is fairly safe. These are the ingredients; SOYA OILS, CANOLA OIL AND FLAVORED WITH BUJTTERMILK. tHE buttermilk would be the only questionable ingredient in it, but if you use it sparingly it should be ok.

#11093 - 06/08/03 04:36 PM
danie

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: NYC

Try putting a good extra virgin olive oil and some salt on baked or mashed potatoes. It's delicious.

#11098 - 06/08/03 05:58 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I think it's fine unless you are using huge amounts. It's always good to be cautious with "artificial" substitutes - you may not tolerate it at all. I tend to tolerate it fairly well. As far as I'm concerned, it's better than butter or margarine!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Flax oil is yummy used like this too! -nt- new
      #11108 - 06/08/03 06:55 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#11122 - 06/09/03 05:18 AM
gator

Reged: 05/26/03
Loc: Florida

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I only use a little spray on each side, so I should be ok...

--------------------
Thank You

#11153 - 06/09/03 12:08 PM
BethE

Reged: 06/09/03
Loc: Syracuse, NY

also - pickles seem to be ok in small quantities, but they can't have skins - don't know how anyone else tolerates these, though.

--------------------
Beth
IBS - D

Re: fake butter?? Nope new
      #11216 - 06/10/03 12:17 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I for one, can't use any fats, period. I look at it this way. If I were on the TV show "Survivor" and plain potatoes were all I had, would I pass them up?

I've been known to ask for plain with only chives at a restaurant. If you are already thin everyone just looks at you in envy for being so disaplined and then complaining about their 20 or so extra pounds they just can't take off. (Wonder why?) Or at home I may use a little broth...vegie or chicken just to make them more moist, but for the most part I just like them with lots of kosher salt, no skin. Amazing what one can get used to (and then really enjoy) when you set your mind to wanting to avoid intestinal pains and saying to yourself there is no such word as "can't".

--------------------

dietary fat & a question for Heather... new
      #11314 - 06/10/03 06:56 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Some fat, preferably of the very highest quality, is absolutely necessary to good health. If you're really not ever eating any fat at all, you're not doing your long-term health any good--your hair and nails will become brittle and your skin will dry out. Plus you won't be able to absorb any fat-soluble vitamins. Heather has mentioned this before--do try to find some way to incorporate some extra-virgin olive oil or flaxseed oil into your diet--if you need help with that maybe Heather has some suggestions?

Re: dietary fat & a question for Heather... new
      #11316 - 06/10/03 07:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Yep, you're absolutely right. You can eat a very very low fat diet if you're carefully monitoring yourself to make sure that you are getting the minimum, but going fat free will wreak havoc on your body. Flax, olive, or canola oils can be added in small amounts (try just 1/2 tsp) to a bowl of oatmeal, rice, or pasta. When you bake add a tablespoon or two of these oils - the fat quantity per serving will be super low, but you will be getting something.

Try to have a little bit of fatty fish like salmon or tuna with a rice, potato, pasta foundation. Add a few thin slices of avocados to a sandwich. Finely grind just a tablespoon of nuts to add to baked baked, safe pancakes, or waffles. Add soy milk and tofu to your diet - they have natural amounts of healthy fats.

Just a small amount is much, much better than nothing.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3100 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1497

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review