Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Young Children and IBS??
      #110234 - 10/04/04 09:41 AM
Cynthia Anne

Reged: 10/01/04
Loc: Henderson, Nevada, USA (Las Vegas)

HI
I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience or knowledge of children and IBS?
My youngest son, who is two (almost 3) has had chronic diarrhea for most of his life.
He breastfed for almost 2 years, but ate solids during that time. When he was a newborn, he had constipation problems (once went 7 days without going). Being that he is my 4th son, and I breastfed all of them, the constipation was unusual. (All the babies had loose stools- and everyone else I had ever known with a breastfed baby had the same). The pediatrician (who was new to us- our wonderful DR had moved)told me that constipation was normal in breastfed babies. I disagreed (I've heard of it more in formula fed babies).
Anyway, since that time he has had the diarrhea, whcih contiues today. There is no solid stool at all. The DR again says, "it's nothing."
Poor little guy has a sore bottom ALL the TIME! He goes at least 4 times a day and has a lot of gas. He eats very well- quite a bit for a toddler. He doesn't like milk, but loves apple juice. He eats pancakes or waffles for breakfast- sometimes toast or cereal...mac and cheese or turkey lunch meat sandwiches on white bread for lunch, dinner is usually white meat chicken (we don't eat red meat), sometimes fish, pasta,rice, potatoes... before bed he usually has another turkey sandwich. He loves to ssnack on popcorn, but I try to limit it because he gets worse diarrhea. (same with black olives,and raisins- deadly for him).
His daddy and I both have IBS-D, also his aunt and his grandmother (though she has IBS-C).
The Dr is no help, but I was wondering if you all had seen it this young?? (mine didn't start until I was like 38-and my husband, Mom, and sister were later in life also).

Thanks for any help you can give!

Cynthia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Young Children and IBS?? new
      #110243 - 10/04/04 10:21 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

My little girl was very C from the time she was born but she was bottle fed. I have never heard of a breastfed baby having cronic C before. All I can say is watch out for dairy and the Apple juice. When Kenna would get C and still does every now and then I would give her apple juice and would always help her go. Apple Juice can realy help C and cause D in childern. That is what my doctor told me. I hope your little guy feels better soon. Welcome and feel free to ask any questions.
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Thanks new
      #110251 - 10/04/04 10:46 AM
Cynthia Anne

Thanks Heather!
I hope you are feeling better?!

I was wondering about the apple juice, since I've read the IBS diet. I always thought apple was safe. In my past experience with the boys, OJ and lemonade were always much harsher to the bowel- even when they were fine, they'd end up with diarrhea. The "baby" (my 2 yr old) though loves apple, likes orange, likes apple mixes.
If he were to drink a mixed apple juice (like apple berry or apple grape) would that be as bad? I was thinking of trying him on cranberry apple?? (Don't know if he'd like the tartness).
I hate to give him those fake juices that are pure "added" sugar with hardly any juice.
Do you have any suggestions?
Dairy really isn't a problem since he doesn't like milk (funny none of my boys do- my Mom says its cause I nursed them too long so they don't like the taste of real milk (my Mom was anti-breastfeeding!)
He likes cheese, but will forgo it, except for the mac and cheese- I can steer him away from that easily enough, just like the popcorn- I just don't keep it on hand- or hidden way back in the pantry for a special treat. (Then again, how special is a treat when it make you have D and hurt?- I know if I ever ate ice cream in the past few years, I would die- so I don't ever eat it- its not worth it.)
Take care and I hope you are feeling A LOT better!!

Cynthia

It can happen, and it's not that uncommon... new
      #110305 - 10/04/04 12:41 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

at the very top right of this page you'll see a black and gold search button. Search for children, and you'll find a couple in-depth articles about children and IBS.

I'd totally avoid apple juice, period. It's one of the worst things for aggravating diarrhea.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#110307 - 10/04/04 12:58 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

If I were you I'd get the baby tested for all food allergies. Wouldn't it be nice to find out this is not IBS, but an easily-managed food allergy?
Hope he feels better soon.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: Thanks new
      #110336 - 10/04/04 02:12 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Your welcome. I am feeling better today Thanks!! Um I am not sure but what about White Grape Juice or Kool Aid!! I would do a post on what juices are safe for kids with IBS. I know I can't get my Daughter to drink water to save my life so I can understand if he won't drink that. She loves White Grape juice though. Or Juciy Juice make a Cherry juice and fruit puch juice. Trial and error. I feel so bad for your little boy. One so younge shouldn't have to go through this!!! <<<<<<<<<BIG HUGS>>>>>>>>>>>>

--------------------
Heather7476

#112179 - 10/11/04 07:25 PM
Rylee

Reged: 10/09/04

Please watch the apple juice. Either hfcs or other things in it can cause D.

#112203 - 10/11/04 09:37 PM
mrsdoodlepunk

Reged: 10/08/04

Cynthia,
The first thing I'd do is get rid of your pediatrician. Chronic diarrhea is not "nothing." One thing you might want to do is cut out the fruit juice. Fructose can cause diarrhea in kids who don't have IBS. Raisins, and any dried fruit, are a high source of fructose. Also, it is possible your little guy has gluten sensitivity. Try substituting rice pasta and breads to see if it helps. But first and foremost you need to consult with another pediatrician who is familiar with IBS in kids. My daughter is 9 and we are beginning to think that her occassional bouts of diarrhea are IBS. I also have dealt with it on and off since I was about 9.

#112685 - 10/13/04 11:06 AM
Cynthia Anne

Thanks
we've prety much weaned him off of the apple juice -in the past week (though he's not too happy!) and I've been trying to experiment with some otyher juices (cranberry- the new "not so tart" kind and some strawberry kiwi). He hates milk and is a good water drinker- but little ones do not like to live on water alone.
I think we are making progress though, just without the apple juice- yesterday was his first day with a more solid poopie (at least not pure diarrhea)- and he only went twice!
Thanks again for your suggestions!
Cynthia

#112687 - 10/13/04 11:08 AM
Cynthia Anne

Thanks!
Just weaned him off the apple juice this past week and onto some cranberry-peach (less tart style) and some strawberry-kiwi. He had a more solid poopie finally yesterday and only went twice! I think we're on the right track!
Thanks again!
Cynthia

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 178 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9181

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review