All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I'm new and this is my story, I really need some advice....
      #10930 - 06/06/03 03:42 AM
zylenefree

Reged: 06/06/03
Loc: NSW, Australia

It all started a year or so ago. I've always had a 'nervous bum' (I'd get constipated whenever I was away from home) but last year something happened and I wasn't regular, or even irregular, for 6 weeks! That really worried me, my doctor said 'take more fibre' and all that did was make my already full tummy even more bloated. Another doctor took an xray and told me bluntly that I was full of 'poop' and said I'd need to take coloxyl for a month...So I did, and nothing really changed. A colonoscopy found I had a 'floppy colon' and the surgeon thought I may have IBS or IBD (but wasn't sure as it's not his area of expertise)...

I eat, I get full, I get hungry, I eat, I feel bloated, I have no bowel motion or even an urge, and if I do have the urge I've only got about 30 seconds to get to the loo or the moment will pass and I'll need to wait another 24 hours for, maybe, another chance...Yet I still get hungry, I have fibre, prune juice, multi vitamins, take normacol every night, and still I'll only have very limited success in getting what goes in out! I feel like my insides have constricted, if I pass wind it feels all forced, and everything that comes out is a lot thinner than it should be (sorry for the details...)

Needless to say, I'm freaking out a bit, and the doctors can't help, my wife doesn't really understand becasue I don't really understand what to say becasue I don't really understand what's going on...

So I guess I'd like to know if any of this rings a IBS bell or not...

Thanks,

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm new and this is my story, I'd love some advice.... new
      #10932 - 06/06/03 03:53 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi! Welcome to the boards.

I'm confused...what kind of doctor gives a colonoscopy, but doesn't give a diagnosis, or doesn't test further to find IBS or IBD? Did I read something wrong?

When you say you have fiber, are you eating more fiber and/or are you taking a fiber supplement? If you are eating your fiber, what kind? Soluble or insoluble? I'm not sure if prune juice would help or make your symptoms worse. What's normacol?

Hopefully we can find some answers for you here!

Re: I'm new and this is my story, I really need some advice.... new
      #10933 - 06/06/03 04:02 AM
jenz

Reged: 05/09/03
Loc: Uk

hello! im not an expert on ibs as i have only been through this sort of thing for about 8 months but i have been through the same thing and docs are having probs with diagnosing what is wrong with me so if i can give u any support i will try keep your chin up we will get it sorted

#10934 - 06/06/03 04:06 AM
zylenefree

No, you didn't read it wrong. I had a colonoscopy, the surgeon told me that I was floppy (really nice technical term!) and he couldn't get all the way up inside of me...He didn't know what was causing it, and that was pretty much all he did. I live in a small town in Australia and maybe we're not supposed to talk about such things, because my doctor treated me like I was from another planet, and almost laughed off my description of what was happening to me, and after several visits of 'maybe you should eat some more fibre', I realised I had to do something else...

From the packet; "Normacol is a natural fibre plus gentle laxative - Sterculla and Frangula Bark" It comes in little granules, that look like tiny coco-pops (but don't taste like them!) and you take a spoonful at a time. My doctor gave me this one, along with a cupboard full of other laxatives/fibre supplements, and it seems to do the trick better than anything else, and isn't violent as some other things can be (when it works at all)...

So that's all I really know, sorry if I'm using the wrong terms, I'm new to this whole thing...

#10935 - 06/06/03 04:13 AM
zylenefree

Thanks, cause I'm at my wits end wondering what to eat/what not to eat - and what supplements, if any, I should be taking. We've been eating lots of veggies and fish, only a little meat (I miss my steaks!), lots of fruit and 'healthy foods' but it's always a hit and miss affair - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't - it feels like there is no rhyme or reason to what is going on, or not going on, inside me. It's horrible when you're out with friends at dinner, thinking 'is this meal going to stay with me for a month!' - and I don't want it to consume my thoughts - so thought it was time to do something, and I came to you...

#10946 - 06/06/03 08:24 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hello, I'm pretty new to this board but I have had IBS for about 17years! I too was very constipated! My doctor put me on Mira-lax a couple years ago(you need a prescription) its a powder but its not fiber. It did help although it may be a bit gassey and I would get dirreaha. Last January I switched to a drug, also prescription called Zelnorm. It helps keep things moving and does seem to help a little with the bloating. I also take 6 fiber con tablets a day, but you need to drink A LOT of water for them to work properply!

I haven't had much luck with my doctors either! I have never heard of a floppy colon?! I have been on Heathers diet for about 3 weeks and it is helping! I also find when my tummy gets real bad it helps to use a heating pad. It helps it feel a little better and I think it helps relax the muscles and gets things moving!

I have found a lot of good advice on this board so be sure to read through as much as you can. Hang in there, we will try to help you find something that helps!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#10948 - 06/06/03 09:39 AM
*Melissa*

Don't worry! You didn't use any wrong terms, at least not that I noticed

Unfortunately (IMO anyway) it sounds like your doctor isn't that great. I would try to find another or push him more to find out what's going on. Here's some info on the types of tests you need and things you need to rule out to be properly diagnosed with IBS: web page

I've never heard of the Normacol...must be an Aussie thing! It may help if you put where you live (you can just put Australia, or list your town also if you'd like) so other Aussies can help you out with products and/or docs. Just go to My Home, then edit your personal info. Only if you want to, of course.

#10958 - 06/06/03 12:27 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I'd avoid Normacol, and all other laxatives. See if you can find Benefiber, or have your pharmacist order it for you. It's soluble fiber without the laxative - drink LOTS of water every day once you add in a soluble fiber supplement. There's info here web page

I'm totally appalled by the doc who did your colonoscopy. The whole point of that test is to see if there are signs of an inflammatory bowel disease present. If he couldn't tell then he had no right to perform the procedure.

Check the board for a post about Australian support groups for IBS - they might have good doctor referrals for you.

And do check the IBS diet guidelines - web page

Also, there have been a ton of great past posts on constipation that you can search for.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#10989 - 06/06/03 08:08 PM
jpny1008

Reged: 02/13/03
Loc: Staten Island, New York

I hear you! I had a similar experience with Drs. not being too helpful. Keep looking, you will find one that will help you better and properly diagnose you. Keep your chin up. Also, I am a strong believer in drinking water to "keep things moving." You may need to drink a lot in the beginning to hydrate yourself and get things moving again. This may seeem like too simple but it can't hurt to try. I find it works for me.

Thank you... new
      #10997 - 06/07/03 12:56 AM
zylenefree

It's great to have somebody actually listen and believe what you say! I'll get rid of the Normacol - can you start to take fibre (metamucil etc) when you're already constipated? How do you get back on track after a few days of no 'action'? Someone told me that Aloe Vera Juice is quite good for IBS - I got some today, it tastes pretty bad, so it must be good!

Re: Thank you... new
      #11012 - 06/07/03 06:31 AM
*Melissa*

Absolutely take fiber! Here's the info on how: web page And LOTS of water! Also, try to get some exercise, if you don't already. That should also help.

I'd be careful with the aloe...I seem to remember it may cause more problems? Not sure on that one.

Re: Thank you... new
      #11030 - 06/07/03 12:31 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

I've personally found aloe vera quite good in capsule form but have found peppermint oil capsules just as good. Aloe can upset some people though, so perhaps try it and see.
Good luck!

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#13636 - 07/09/03 12:10 PM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

Don't feel alone, I am the same way, only female, workout regularly drink all my water. This is what my GI told me and it might help I am on Zelnorm but the only give it to women because for some reason it doesn't work on men, they don't know why. You need to add more fiber I would go with Benefiber or Citracel as Metamucil can make the bloating much worse, you have to play with a few and see which ones works there is no hard and fast rule for what fiber works best. Also I take phazyme it is an OTC anti-gas product and really helps with the bloating and gas. I take it before I eat, I have more problems further into the day than I do in the morning. If you are absolutely at your wits end and need to go, take Milk of Magnesia it never seems to fail. I know what you mean about wondering when everything will move out, try Heather's diet it will hopeful get you to feeling better and avoid all dairy products this makes C worse. I hope you are feeling better soon !!!

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 211 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10947

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review