All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
help anyone?
      #10810 - 06/05/03 09:03 AM
islander

Reged: 06/04/03

Hi everyone - I am new to the boards and to Heather's program. After reading several postings you all seem so understanding and supportive. I hope that you are all doing well. I have been suffering with IBS-D for almost three years now. I was petite to begin with (5'4" and 127pounds) and I due to this condition I have lost almost thirty pounds and I look like a walking skeleton. I don't feel healthy, or energetic and don't feel good about myself. I am 27 years old and single. I haven't pursued dating or my social life since this condition started and I feel like my lifelong dream of finding a soulmate, getting married, and having a family had to be let go because who would want me this way?
I need to know if anyone has suggestions for how I can get some extra calories and gain some weight, so I can feel more like myself again. I drink one Boost shake each day, but I was wondering if there was anything else to try like meal replacement bars in addition to the drink. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate any help you can send my way. Thank you!!!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Try this new
      #10812 - 06/05/03 09:14 AM
2sweeties

I've been drinking Ensure - the weight gain kind. It has about 300 clories in it, also trying to snack on saltines, drink lots of water to stay hydrated. Good luck and let me know if you have any other ideas. To me, meal replacement bars might not be good, they seem hard to digest. How long have you had the diarrhea?

Re: help anyone? new
      #10815 - 06/05/03 09:46 AM
danie

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: NYC

Islander - you can try baby food but you definitely need supplements to give your body nutrients. At the very least take a good multivitamin, multimineral and B-vitamin every day. Twinlab has very good ones since they are caps not caplets and easily absorbed in the body. I take DAILY ONE CAPS (WITHOUT IRON), MULTIMINERAL and B-50 OR B-100. If you aren't near a health food store, you can order on line. I can find them at 40% off regular price in many health food stores. Wishing you good health.

Re: Try this new
      #10818 - 06/05/03 10:00 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Islander,

First, welcome!!!!! I'm SO SORRY you're not feeling well!

As far as weight gain, snack all day, and if you can tolerate sugar, that might help you gain.

Your soulmate will want you this way! If he's the right man for you--it won't matter (it's not your fault you're thin--or sick!)

What are you eating on a regular basis right now? If you give us your menu, maybe we can add stuff that will help--we'll definately try! There are a lot of knowledgable folks on the board--I'm sure someone will come up with something that will help!

Hugs to you and happy Thursday!!!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#10823 - 06/05/03 10:28 AM
bailie

Reged: 02/03/03
Loc: Pa usa

Hello I have been considering a elemental diet to regain health and achieve a state of remission from my ulcerative colitis. I have found a product called Absorb+ ( you can buy on the web www.absorb+.com) and it will put weight on and does not have the ingredients that usually bother people with IBD. If anyone has been on an elemental diet and would like to share information and experiences with me I would love to hear from you.
Thanks...bailie

#10830 - 06/05/03 10:59 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Islander - Please read through the diet faq that's here web page for info on gaining weight and breaking the cycle of attacks.

I'd avoid Boost, Ensure, and meal replacement drinks and bars. Unfortunately, they all contain IBS triggers. You're much better off to concentrate on the safe foods listed in the FAQ under the breaking the cycle info.

There was info about the meal replacement drinks in a past newsletter here web page

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#10905 - 06/05/03 07:58 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I gained weight without trying while following an IBS diet. For me it was because I was feeling better and could eat more. I am also 5'4" and weighed 120lbs, but in a matter of months I dropped close to 20lbs. I hear you on feeling too thin.
I agree with eating saltines - it does have calories and it's good and safe. The other thing I just thought of - my Gastro. checked my Thyroid. My thyroid is fine, but Hyperthyroid can cause people to be too thin and cause D. Just a thought.
Hope you are feeling better soon!!
Barbara

#10917 - 06/05/03 09:36 PM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

Hi,Welcome, sorry your feeling bad.
Have you tried switching milk products for Soy?
Soy milk has protein and other good stuff. Comes in different flavors if don't like the taste. I buy vanilla soy
(Vitasoy and SOYUM) If you have trouble with benefiber like me then always check the label of soy products (some include the ingredient - Guar Gum {main ingredient in Benefiber}.
Paintlady

#10929 - 06/06/03 03:08 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Hi, I too am trying to gain as much weight as possible. I find that drinkin ensure helps. Also, I like snackin on crackers, pretzels and corn chips throughout the day. Lastly, I put sugar on everything. I put sugar on pretzels, cereal, even speghetti!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#10945 - 06/06/03 08:08 AM
islander

Thanks so much to all of you who responded to my message. It is so comforting to know that there are other people out there who deal with this stuff too. I will try all of what you suggested. Thanks sooo much! I hope that everyone is having a symptom free or light symptom day. Take care!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8389 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1361

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review