All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Another Delusional Article Bashing Carbs
      #10800 - 06/05/03 06:33 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Arrgh! I get so frustrated sometimes! I just want to scream at all the people who bash carbs. I don't even like the word carbs anymore - it's been to misused and misunderstood. I read an article in a magazine that I usually respect. Although the general idea of the article was that the no carb thing is a BAD idea, they had advice in there including "good carbs and bad carbs" which really made my blood boil. I their defense, they were going by the glycemic index, which I suppose for most people is logical, but they actually said that white bread and potatoes have NO fiber and you should not eat them. How delusional and just plain wrong! They obviously don't know the meaning of the words soluble fiber.
To top it all off, they proceeded to say that people with IBS should have a high fiber diet with lots of fruits and vegetables. Since they totally dismissed soluble fiber I can only assume they were referring to insoluble fiber.

Usually, I am a happy gal. It's just that when you give stupidity to an Irish temper, there's going to be a clash.
Forgive me, I had to vent.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Another Delusional Article Bashing Carbs new
      #10822 - 06/05/03 10:27 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Han,

This doesn't surprise me! Eating high insoluble fier diets have been recommended to IBSers--myself included--by doctors since I was 5...and the 2 GI's I saw this year recommended the same. I'm sorry it's upsetting you so much.......personally, I just gave up on GI's! (Which is bad--I really need one right now). What's a girl (guy) to do?!?!?!

STUPIDITY--such a costly thing......

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Yeah, I know how you feel! new
      #10834 - 06/05/03 11:12 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

It amazes me, but I still hear the high fiber recommendation (specifying bran, raw vegetables, salad greens) from doctors, dietitians, and IBS medical sites. It drives my BONKERS! Don't these folks read the clinical studies regularly published in their own professional journals? There have been numerous ones on soluble v. insoluble fiber for IBS at this point. Hello?!

The carbs articles kill me too. You can't get soluble fiber in foods that aren't carbs - but the kickers is you can't get insoluble fiber from foods that aren't carbs either! Virtually all fruits and vegetables are carbs - as are grains, cereals, and beans. It just boggles my mind that anyone would suggest these foods be limited for good health. Even refined grains like white rice are still complex (not simple) carbs, and they still have soluble fiber.

Aaaaargh!!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Right there with you!!! new
      #10845 - 06/05/03 11:32 AM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

I know exactly what you guys mean!! It kills me that people try to cut carbohyrates out of their diets completely! What do they think fuels their bodies?!! It kills me at work that people will come through and order the typical Adkins diet drink Sugar Free Vanilla Breve Latte. YUCK!!! The thought of even fat free milk sends my poor stomach in to panic let alone the thought of 1/2 and 1/2 milk. A few people I work with went on that for awhile saying that carbohyrates cause weight gain, which I have just had to learn to keep my mouth shut. The only thing I would say to them is, well, that's all I can have and I haven't. I would also add that it's what you eat with and put on your carbohyrates. What a load!

I guess working where I do and seeing people drink all though drinks, I am always just amazed. People don't want to invest their time and energy in their health long term, they just want the quick fix.

If we followed the insoluable fiber diet like what I have seen suggested for IBSers we would all be in pain all the time! No thanks!

I also just needed to vent a little. LOL!! At least we know we stand on the same side. LOL!!

Have a good day everyone,

Sheri

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

Re: Another Delusional Article Bashing Carbs new
      #10848 - 06/05/03 11:59 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I had to laugh at your post, not because it was funny, but because I can really relate! I thought you would get a kick out of this. I went out to eat lunch with a big group of friends Tuesday. Everyone at the table was on some different kind of diet, mostly the low-carb ones such as Atkins. I felt so sorry for the poor waitress. After hearing over and over again from my friends, "Can I have that dish without the rice or this one without the bread and potatoes" she gets to me and I say, "I need a dish with either rice, potatoes, or bread." She looked at me like I was crazy and said, "You want CARBS with your meal?" like I was some kind of freak. I started to explain that I need these things---and everyone needs them---but I knew I was outnumbered so I just said, "Yes, I actually want some carbs. They're good for you. It's just the greasy fattening stuff people put on them that's bad for you!" She just shook her head and sighed. Later, I watched all of my friends eat the most sickened high-fat foods puddled in grease. They were so smug because they weren't eating those bad ol'carbs like I was!!!!!!!!!

Re: thanks beagle new
      #10937 - 06/06/03 05:37 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I had to laugh - thanks for the story. We will get the last laugh, when all those stupid atkins no carb people get heart disease and high cholesterol ....

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: thanks beagle new
      #10951 - 06/06/03 10:06 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I know exactly what you guys mean. My boyfriend has gone on the Atkins diet, and it's disgusting! I'm worried for him & his health. I can't stand watching him do it, but--get this--all the GUYS at work are on the diet (we work at the same place, so I have to hear about this diet ALL THE TIME).

We have been doing a major project at work, where he's been working for like a month straight 12 hour days. So, he comes home and dirties up the frying pan almost daily with his stinky nasty burgers, steaks, sausage, etc. THEN LEAVES IT FOR ME TO CLEAN!!! Because he's too tired. I also get stuck with it in the mornings from his "breakfast". Plus, I have to keep hearing about how many carbs are in every thing (even the stuff I eat, that he doesn't). Well, the other day I got some Imagine Creamy Portabello soup, and I showed him, because I was kind of excited (we all know how it is when we find something actually safe to eat ) and he said something about how many carbs, and I just flipped. Plus, that !#$@#$ frying pan was sitting there. Again. I got so mad, I threw the frying pan out the back door. I just can't take it anymore! (Ok, I guess maybe the fact that I had PMS may have had just a teeny little bit to do with that. )

And then, especially the first two weeks he was on it, he kept complaining his stomach was upset & he had D. Well, no wonder!

Well, he goes to get a checkup, including cholesterol, in a couple of weeks, so I can't wait to see how it comes out.

Whew...thanks for the vent!

I can relate new
      #10960 - 06/06/03 12:43 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Ha! That sounds like me in a PMS rage. Except I'm afraid I would have hit him on the head with the frying pan.

Re: I can relate new
      #10962 - 06/06/03 02:19 PM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

I think I would have kicked the cabinets (my fave PMS rant while cleaning and cursing hubby) and hidden the skillet & utensils from him.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: I can relate-Laurie & beaglelover new
      #10979 - 06/06/03 06:01 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

And here I thought I was the only one with a crazy temper! LOL

I have to say, it felt good to chuck that thing out there! LOL

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 756 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8416

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review