All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Ok, I'm mad!
      #10731 - 06/04/03 02:50 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I decided to try the Fibercon tablets after all the good things I read about it online. Know I am much worse---very constipated, bloated, and in pain. I have been drinking tons of water. Now I feel like my stomach may explode. I just read an article about calcium causing constipation and I know this has been true with me in the past if I took calcium tablets. And I read that Fibercon has calcium in it. If so, why would anybody recommend it for someone who is already constipated? Wouldn't a product with calcium make it much worse? Guess I will have to take milk of magnesium or something else to make it through tonight.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Try this tea new
      #10735 - 06/04/03 03:01 PM
2sweeties

Reged: 06/04/03

Have you tried herbal tea for constipation? My friend takes it = works for her. It's called "Traditional Medicine" they make a variety of teas - the one you should check out is called "smooth moves"

Whoa, be careful here! new
      #10739 - 06/04/03 03:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

These teas are laxatives - they usually contain senna. They are not gentle on the GI tract, and they can cause bowel dependency.

Try fennel tea to ease the bloating, and try to walk around and be as active as possible. Fibercon should not cause constipation (it's actually approved by the FDA as a laxative, though it's technically not as it is just fiber). Did you drink enough water?

Hang in there, we'll figure this out and get you feeling better.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Ok, I'm mad! new
      #10740 - 06/04/03 03:11 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - calcium can have a constipating effect, but there shouldn't be so much of it in the Fibercon that it would constipate you. Like you say, it makes no sense for the manufacturer to do this as they're trying to market their product for constipation.

One thing - did you just start the Fibercon? It usually takes a few days for any soluble fiber supplement to have an effect, so it's not super likely that you would have sudden constipation on the same day you start the pills and have these things be connected. Also - how many pills did you start with?

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Whoa, be careful here! new
      #10744 - 06/04/03 03:41 PM
BL

I'm drinking peppermint herbal tea right now. I started the Fibercon tablets yesterday. I took one before and after lunch because I was at a restaurant with friends and didn't want to be in pain. This morning I couldn't have a BM at all so thought maybe I wasn't taking enough of the Fibercon. Today I took 2 tablets this morning and 1 after lunch. I have taken Metamucil in the past (3 times a day) but quit because it made the bloating and gas worse. This constipation thing is getting worse instead of better.

Re: Whoa, be careful here! new
      #10745 - 06/04/03 03:44 PM
BL

Forgot to say that I have been drinking water all day---a lot more than usual. I have been running to the bathroom all day!

Re: Senna-Whoa!Thanks Heather....... new
      #10756 - 06/04/03 05:12 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Thank you so much for warning me about senna, heather. When I went to my gastro, she gave me a packet of a list of high fiber foods. Unfortunatly, it didnt indicate whether the foods were high in insoluble or soluble fiber, so most of the foods listed were high in insoluble fiber. Well anyway, at the end of the packet, was a recipe for "Colon Tea" It involved 1 tbsp of metamucil and 10 Senna teabags!! Thank goodness, i have not made it

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1045 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1261

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review