All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS-D help please
      #10682 - 06/04/03 09:34 AM
2sweeties

Reged: 06/04/03

Hi - Please help, I'm bloated, have diarrhea and lost tons or weight. The flare up has lasted about 3 weeks, susually it's only for a couple of days. i got sick because of strawberries, ate baskets of them, found out later that its not a good thing...any suggestions on how to make the diarrhea go away> Tummy ache too? Thank you. Desperate in CA.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS-D help please new
      #10686 - 06/04/03 09:56 AM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

I have IBS-D and strawberries are a major trigger for me. I haven't eaten strawberries in 4 years because of what happened to you. I know how you feel and I hope you start feeling better soon. Have tried eating mostly soluble fiber meals for a few days to help stabilize your stomach?

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

Laurie - IBS-D help please new
      #10687 - 06/04/03 10:05 AM
2sweeties

HI Laurie - Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate it so much and this board is such a help. Makes me feel that I am not alone. I did not know about the strawberry causing flare ups until two weeks ago. Any foods that you eat work for IBS-D? Thank you, take care.

Re: Laurie - IBS-D help please new
      #10693 - 06/04/03 11:04 AM
Laurie

Here is a list of everything I cut out that seemed like a trigger.

strawberries
cucumbers
tomatoes
Ranch dressing
lettuce
fried food, especially fast food
red meat
ice cream
cheese
corn
spinach (a hit and a miss)
whole milk, I usually use 1/2%, but I don't drink it all
anything high in fat
anything really greasy
anything that seems like it would be hard to digest.

When I'm going through a flare up, I eat a lot of white rice or mashed potatoes and either baked/grilled chicken or fish. I also eat Fat Free saltines as snacks.

Do you have either one of Heather's books?

--------------------
Laurie

#10707 - 06/04/03 12:29 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there - Here's info on breaking the cycle of attacks web page This should get you stabilized and back on track.

For detailed info about triggers (strawberries can definitely be one) and safe foods, check here web page

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#10719 - 06/04/03 01:03 PM
2sweeties

Thank you so much, Laurie - I am going to print this and post it on the fridge door. Yes, I have both to Heather's books, just bought the last week - good info Hope your flare up clears soon. Take care - see you on the board!

#10720 - 06/04/03 01:10 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

While you're printing out Laurie's suggestions, print out Heather's links. They cover almost all the trigger foods. A lot of us have different reactions to different triggers. For example, I can eat some strawberries without any trouble but it's apparently rough on you and Laurie. You may want to try Heather's strawberry smoothie (the strawberries are pureed and are much more tolerable that way) Read through Heather's guidelines, and post any questions that you may have. Welcome to the board!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#10722 - 06/04/03 01:36 PM
Laurie

She's right because I can eat red meat in moderation as long as it very very very lean. I know a lot of the board members can't eat red meat what so ever. I always figured it was strawberry seeds that caused my irritation since I seem to have trouble with tomatoes, cucumbers, and corn. I strongly suggest printing out the Heather's links too.

--------------------
Laurie

#10724 - 06/04/03 01:39 PM
Laurie

No problem. If I think of anymore of my triggers I'll let you know. Like Hans said everyone is different, but I know I had trouble figuring out what I could and couldn't eat. I had a hard time trying to figure out exactly what soluble fiber was until the site. I needed a clearer picture of the dishes that were safe.

--------------------
Laurie

#10726 - 06/04/03 02:02 PM
2sweeties

Thank you HanSolo - I love this board, feel so sopported by you, Laurie, Heather and everyone here! I'll definately print Heather's info - I have her books too Take care!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5118 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1646

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review