All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
What would you do?
      #105445 - 09/13/04 07:35 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Can one's system get used to otherwise IBS-safe foods that are a trigger?

This is my problem: I can't seem to drink rice milk without an attack. I don't know if it's the rice milk itself, or the fact that it's so cold, but I'm leaning towards the "cold" theory. Most of what I eat is room temperature to hot; I drink "cold" tap water, but cold-from-the-tap and refrigerated-cold aren't the same thing. This morning I had a bowl of Honeycomb with refrigerated rice milk, and within 1/2 hour, I was doubled over with cramps and D.

So... do I force the issue, and keep trying cold things, in hopes that eventually my gut will agree with my brain that it's a good idea? LOL Or do I just accept that I will never again be able to eat cereal with "milk", smoothies, "ice cream", refrigerated beverages, cold pasta salads, etc?

I'm also wondering this because there are a lot of IBS-safe things in general that seem to trigger me - like all of the quick breads and muffins. I'd love to be able to eat them, but they all give me D and cramping. Should I keep trying to eat them? Or just give up?

You can tell I'm feeling better... up till now, I was content to just avoid all those things, and I've literally eaten little more than pasta, bread and chicken for the past month or so. Now I'm getting bored with that and I want to eat tasty things, but I can't seem to eat anything!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What would you do? new
      #105454 - 09/13/04 07:47 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Hey Casey,

That definitely sounds like a tough situation! You said that you've really not eaten much more than the pasta, rice, etc for a while now, so it's possible that the colder foods and drinks, and more variety are just coming as a shock to your system.

I personally have more problems with cold drinks, but sometimes I have them anyway because I'm tired of tea and water!!! As for the other foods, I wouldn't necessarily cross them of your list, because as you slowly get better you may be able to begin tolerating some of them in small amounts. However, as you know, it is possible that you may have to give them up for good if your system just can't handle those things. Sucks, i know!

Still, its awesome you're feeling good enough to try other foods again. Take it one day at a time and experiment (with small amounts!) and see what your stomach can and just can't handle.

I'm sure you'll have tons of other suggestions coming your way but you're always great in answering everyone else's questions that I thought I'd chime in

#105455 - 09/13/04 07:52 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Casey, I think you're right about the cold food thing - I really find cold foods intolerable and almost cramp up just looking at a glass of ice water.

I've also found, though, that the longer I'm stable, the more I can tolerate. Just trying to eat irritating stuff does not help - I only add possible triggers when adding them doesn't do anything bad!

So maybe you could nuke the rice milk up to a more bearable temperature before putting it on your cereal and see if that helps? I definitely wouldn't force down anything that gives you D and cramping - you're just irritating your system more and moving it away from stability. Our colons do not want to be forced to do anything they don't like! You'll be able to eat more stuff sooner than you think, and you'll know when that day comes because you'll eat it and feel fine.

--AC, up to one chocolate chip cookie every other day

#105465 - 09/13/04 08:07 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hi there. Gosh, I don't have any suggestions for you. But I can sympathize with you as I cannot eat too much either. It's so annoying! My "do not eat" list keeps growing.

I think that once things are triggers they can EVENTUALLY be reintroduced once you're stable for a while.

Maybe the AD is still giving you side effects? I think it's what is causing my nausea. It's either that or acid refulx.

I'm actually having a bit of a bad day today as I was so stupid and ate things I should not have: ice cream and veggie lasagna and I drank a ginerale. DUH!!! I am paying for it today, but I did get my fix to last me a while.

Hang in there, Casey. Things can only get better.

#105469 - 09/13/04 08:18 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Casey,

Have you been tested for *gulp* celiac? Rice milk often has gluten in it. And obviously so does bread.....

What other things give you problems?

Bread should not be a trigger for a person with IBS...that's usually indicative of a different kind of digestive problem.

On the hopeful side...it may be the sugar in the bread/muffins/rice milk that you are having a bad reaction to? Does sugar seem to be a trigger for you?

I hope in any case that it's NOT celiac and that you figure this out soon. (I don't have celiac...but I am gluten intolerant so I eat like a celiac does). If you do learn gluten/wheat is a trigger for you....we'll all be here to help you adjust!

Let us know how you're doing and what you figure out!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ooops! A clarification! new
      #105474 - 09/13/04 08:28 AM
atomic rose

Bread and pasta doesn't trigger me... quick breads and muffins do. I'm not sure if it's the sugar content, or the "heaviness" of them, but something about them bothers me terribly.

I haven't been tested for celiac, but I highly doubt I am. Good thought, though!

Other than the usual IBS triggers, the only "unusual" triggers are the rice milk and the quick breads/muffins/cakes/sweets. I had an attack from a marshmallow once. Seriously! But I can eat sugar in smaller amounts without problems.

I'll also add that I find this all pretty frustrating because I WAS stable for 6 weeks. I guess some of it could be that I'm still getting used to the antidepressants, but it's annoying to be back at square one all over again!

#105483 - 09/13/04 08:39 AM
atomic rose

I think you might be right about the AD's... I stopped experiencing all the other side effects, so I assumed I was good to go, but it's probably still making my system touchy. It's just really frustrating - I keep losing weight, I'm down to 105, I look awful, but I can't eat anything with enough calories in it to make me gain weight. I'm starting to feel like I'm going to starve to death or something.

Sorry to hear you're having such a bad day... hope you feel better quickly! Hang in there!

Have you tried eating hot cereal with Rice milk?? new
      #105486 - 09/13/04 08:42 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Once poured over the hot cereal, the rice milk will warm up a little to a more tolerable temp. I love my oatmeal/rice cereal with plain rice milk and a little brown sugar!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#105488 - 09/13/04 08:44 AM
atomic rose

I hope you're right about being able to eat more things as I become more stable. It's frustrating because I WAS stable for 6 weeks, and as soon as I started an antidepressant, I found myself right back at square one. (But I like the AD otherwise and I don't want to stop it!) I'm losing a lot of weight because I just *can't* consume enough calories in a day... and all the high-calorie stuff is what I can't seem to tolerate right now.

I'm going to try a little warm rice milk - probably not today, but in a couple days, when I'm feeling better. I've never been a warm-milk person, but for the sake of finding a trigger, I guess it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the encouragement, AC!

Re: Have you tried eating hot cereal with Rice milk?? new
      #105489 - 09/13/04 08:46 AM
atomic rose

I haven't eaten hot cereal in months... and even when I did, it was cream of rice, and I didn't put milk on it. Oatmeal makes me *go* anyway, so I'm afraid to eat it. I've never been much of a hot-cereal person anyway. Good thought, though!

Celiac testing new
      #105490 - 09/13/04 08:48 AM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

maybe you should try that. I know a woman who wasn't diagnosed correctly until her 50's! Also what kind of Rice Milk are you drinking and does it have carageen in it? It is a thickner that is natural but I know I need to eat very little of it or totally avoid it, it kills my gut. Did you have all the fun gastro tests?

--------------------
IBS-D

#105491 - 09/13/04 08:48 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

Rice milk ALWAYS makes me ill and soy milk does too to some extent. Rice milk also made my partner have d, even though she doesn't have IBS! I thought I was the only one that this affected!! I can eat ice-cream now, but didn't used to be able to. Try making stewed apple and putting a bit of soy ice-cream on it so it warms up and melts a bit, that seems to work for me.

Glad you are feeling better. If you can have spices try vietnamese food - pad thai is great, so are the soups and rice paper rolls with prawns or chicken are gorgeous. You can make them yourself too. You can also make great rice by blitzing a whole loadof fresh herbs (coriander, mint etc) with pine nuts and a bit of chicken stock, then mixing with your rice/pasta like a kind of pesto. Works well with rocket or spinach too. Also try baking fish in a foil parcel with a little bit of truffle oil or lemon thyme - it's gives it a luxorious flavour but isn't enough to make you ill. Great with salmon or trout fillets.

Good luck!!

#105492 - 09/13/04 08:48 AM
atomic rose

Thanks for the response. I know I might be able to tolerate them again someday... after all, I had to give up soy products for the longest time, and now I can eat them again, so maybe it's just a matter of time. Thanks for the reminder!

How the heck have you been, anyway? Still busy like crazy? Feeling good? We miss your smiling face around here!

Re: Celiac testing new
      #105495 - 09/13/04 08:58 AM
atomic rose

I haven't had all the tests yet, but I'm in the process of getting properly diagnosed. Like I said, I really doubt it's celiac - if it were, wouldn't ALL wheat products bother me? Like bread, pasta, and crackers? I eat all of those just fine. I was stable on such things until a couple weeks ago, when I started taking an antidepressant.

I use Rice Dream enriched vanilla, which doesn't contain carageenan. I'm not sensitive to food additives like that, or MSG, anyway. Thank goodness.

#105507 - 09/13/04 10:02 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04

Casey -
I can't tolerate the Enriched stuff because of the calcium in it!!! Try plain instead of vanilla, and try the original instead of the enriched. Just a suggestion!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#105516 - 09/13/04 10:28 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I wish it were that simple. I took gluten out for 2 monhs and it didn't do the trick because I was still eating other trigger foods....once I took out sugar AND gluten I was able to see that gluten was a major no-no......buit when you have more than one trigger food in your life, it gets confusing.

Maykeep a food diary and eat things seperate. Or try removing things you think MIGHT be a trigger and then add one thing in at a time slowly and see how your bod does. Or if you have no patience for all this anymore--just go and get tested.

All of these food issues are tricky and sneaky. I've been ill since I was 4 or 5 with stomach issues! I am just now at 25 getting things a little clearer (still fuzzy tho!)

I hope this all makes sense. If you want more info. on celiac....check out celiac.com.

If you decide you want to eliminate gluten to see if that's part of the problem, let me know and you'll let you know how to get started.

Best of luck....hope you feel better soon!

*big hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Darn..... new
      #105537 - 09/13/04 11:07 AM
barbie

Loc: Texas

Hi Casey,

Sorry you are having problems. Do you think it could be your body is reacting differently now because of the anti-depressant? Also, didn't you just re-start your SFS? Could it have something to do with that?

If you are talking about ready made pastries at the grocery store, I can't tolerate those either. A lot of them have HFCS & other added preservatives. The only thing I can eat is some of the Little Debbie snack cakes....but not all of them.

Maybe just try and stick with the foods that are "really" safe for you like pasta & bread for a little longer till this bad spell passes.

Hugs
Barbie

--------------------

Yeah... new
      #105543 - 09/13/04 11:16 AM
atomic rose

I'm going to have to go back to just eating chicken, pasta, potatoes, and toast for a while, I guess. How boring!

No, the baked goods I can't tolerate are Heather's recipes! Homemade stuff! Every time I try a recipe, it gives me D, so I chuck it in the freezer and the boyfriend eats it eventually. *He's* gaining weight just fine, but I'm the one who needs it!

I haven't tried any of the recipes in a couple months, actually, but I think I'm going to hold off for a few more weeks, till I'm sure my body's adjusted to the AD's... I really think that might be part of the problem.

Hugs!

Carageenan.... new
      #105547 - 09/13/04 11:34 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I absolutely CAN'T eat anythign with carageenan in it.. thats my latest newfound trigger.. and I have only found one brand of rice or soy milk without it so far- rice dream and soy dream.. at 3 stores.. one of which is my local HFS.... haven't tried whole foods yet or trader joes.. they are on the other side of town... but I can't imagine there being more brands then our Meijers, Kroger and Arbor Farms carry since the 2 bigger stores have very large health food sections.. Kroger has an entire aisle of alternative milks, but nothing other then those 2 (including nut milks) was without carageenan... and it gave me horrid D and cramping without a long lag after drinking it...

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#105571 - 09/13/04 12:36 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03

It sounds like a hidden allergy or intolerance to me. the honeycomb - is that a corn product? What about rice? Although it's rare, it's possible. I'm just wondering if there's some common thread here. It might be helpful to try a food diary for a few days. SEe if there's a common thread. Also, try the rice milk at room temp or warmed. See if there's a difference.
I'm glad you're feeling at least a bit better??>!
HUgs, Han.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#105589 - 09/13/04 01:15 PM
Organic Gal

Reged: 09/07/04
Loc: Southwest U.S.

I have to say up front that I didn't read all the replies (although I read several, so if this has already been said, my apologies.

I'd try something else COLD and see if it does the same thing. Then, I'd try just drinking some rice milk at room temp (maybe when you are ready to open a new carton, and it's not chilled yet -- pour a glass, drink it, then refrigerate the rest). That should tell you if it's the temperature, or the rice milk.

I can't do rice (and obviously, not rice milk), so I use the almond milk. Of course, being allergic to wheat, I also can't eat most breakfast cereals, so it's a moot point anyway. (One of my students just turned in a paper where they said something was a "mute point." Always a chuckle.)

OK, I'm losing focus . . . See if that helps?

OG

--------------------
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -- John Lennon

It could be HFCS or... new
      #105596 - 09/13/04 01:31 PM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I would try something else cold and see if that's what is bothering you.

If that is not it, maybe you have a food allergy or another possibility is (before I read a post and you said that you had an attack from a marshmallow) HFSCS. Marshmallows, have High Furtose Corn Syrup in it. Which I am sure you have read before is a gi irritant for a lot of people, even if they can eat corn. Check the Honeycomb box and see if it has HFCS in it.

Most likely it is that or you could be allergic to rice. I would just to be on the safe side after trying everything else, go to an allergist and see if you have any food allergies. Food allergies can also cause gi upsets. Also, I have been told that any food that contains Partially Hydrogenated (anything) is bad, it is a cheaper faster way to make food and it isn't the easiest to digest. Good luck!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Re: It could be HFCS or... new
      #105605 - 09/13/04 01:55 PM
atomic rose

I really don't think it's an allergy. I've been eating Honeycomb all along, dry, just fine. It's a corn and oat cereal, and there's no HFCS in it.

Also, marshmallows don't have HFCS in them, at least not the brands I buy. A lot of people on here can eat them with no problem (hence the popularity of the rice krispy treats!).

I've been eating rice all along too, so I really don't think it's a rice allergy, either. But it is a good thought, and if this keeps up, I'll consider going to an allergist - I can't go unless my insurance will pay for it, because I can't afford stuff like that, but it would be worth looking into, at least.

I still think it has to do with the cold. The only other cold thing I ever eat is turkey sandwiches... and although I've only had a full-blown attack from one once, I NEVER feel well after eating one (I get nauseous or crampy), no matter how much I've craved it or how incredibly tasty it was. I can eat hot poultry just fine, with no problems.

Frustrating stuff, this food business! It's a good thing I keep a diligent food diary *and* that my attacks almost always happen immediately after I eat something, otherwise I'd be a lot more confused than I already am! LOL

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Re: It could be HFCS or... new
      #105606 - 09/13/04 02:00 PM
Sweetd

Really what brand Marshmallows do you buy. The ones I had at a BBQ last weeken had it in them which I thought was strange (I love them). Good I don't have to give them up now!

Your right it does sound like the coldness that is doing it to you. I hope you feel better soon!

--------------------

Well... new
      #105612 - 09/13/04 02:19 PM
atomic rose

I bought the store brand, whatever store I happened to be in - I think it was Shaw's. Is it you who's allergic to corn, or am I confusing you with someone else? If so, you'd be out of luck - there *is* corn syrup in them, just not the high-fructose variety.

Re: Well... new
      #105615 - 09/13/04 02:23 PM
Sweetd

Yes, unfortunately, it is me that is allergic to corn . Good memory .

Sorry, my bad, your right. It was corn that I saw in the ingredients, not HFCS. I thought it was HFCS. Sorry, for misinforming you. Thanks!

--------------------

#105624 - 09/13/04 02:32 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Something just doesn't seem right.
My first bet is that it is from the AD, that kinda stuff can wreak havoc on a person, but it is good that you are on it, and I would most definately not stop taking it just because it MAY be affecting you.
I am also worried that you are losing so much weight. When I was suffering really bad with IBS-D and not being able to keep ANYTHING in for months, I gained weight. Not much, but I definately didn't lose any. The gaining of weight might have been coincidental with graduating high school and becoming less physically active, driving more, etc, but I still think IBS had something to do with it.
I do not know of anyone that has IBS-D and has lost alot of weight. Hopefully you can get a proper diagnosis soon, and verify that you actually have IBS, and not something else (not trying to scare you- just giving my honest opinion).
I really hope for your sake that you don't have something worse.
maybe other members would be able to let you know if they had lost weight from IBS, I am very well aware that my body may have just been a fluke.
Hope you are feeling better- here's a smilie to cheer you up, those little suckers always do it for me----

--------------------
-Sheri

#105631 - 09/13/04 02:57 PM
atomic rose

Well... a proper diagnosis would be good, no doubt. But I'm not actually losing weight from the IBS, I'm losing weight because I'm not eating. I'll try to explain without being too long-winded. I developed a LOT of anxiety about eating, as a result of the IBS, and basically *stopped eating*. That's part of the reason I ended up on the AD's. I've only been on them for not even 2 weeks, so it's too soon to really see any good effects from them, but they're already increasing my appetite and reducing my fear of eating... so of the things I *can* eat safely, I'm eating a lot more, and a lot more often.

But I've only been doing it for about a week, so I haven't gained any of my lost weight back yet. I'm eating about 1,000 calories a day, which is a huge improvement, but I know I need to start adding some higher-calorie food so that I can put a few pounds back on. Unfortunately, all the high-calorie sweet stuff seems to be bothering me still.

I know there's a couple other people on here who lost weight with IBS for similar reasons, so I haven't been too worried about it - I just don't like the way I look right now. In the past, when I'd have an attack, I'd deal with it by not eating for the rest of the day, and usually the next day either. I don't do that anymore, but it's taking a long time to recover from 6 months of refusing to eat.

Ok, so much for not being long-winded - sorry about that!

Oh! And I wanted to add... new
      #105632 - 09/13/04 02:58 PM
atomic rose

I have a follow-up doctor's appointment on the 27th. I'm going to bring all of this up with her, and I'm 99% sure she's going to schedule the colonoscopy and all that. So I guess I'll know soon enough!

#105633 - 09/13/04 03:00 PM
Sara-Sage

I know what you mean about losing weight. I'm so thin now that I think that's why I ate ice cream on the weekend. I knew it wouldn't agree with me but didn't care. I had 1/2 a chocolate bar too. Oy!

I was taking a protein shake for a while on the advice of a nutritionist that I saw. I guess I'll have to start that back up again. She also said to eat as much protein as possible and to eat things high in good fats: salmon, advocado, nuts, etc.

Tomorrow'a gotta be better than today. Hey, have you noticed any AD positive side effects yet? I haven't but do seem a tad more relaxed. Still not Marry Poppin's though.

Have a good night!

check this out new
      #105635 - 09/13/04 03:09 PM
Sara-Sage

Casey - Here's something I found on the web. It's a weight gain product for people with illness' developed by a doctor. It's supposed to help you gain 2 lbs a week. I am half considering it, myself.

http://www.suplimednutrients.com/index.php

#105642 - 09/13/04 03:36 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04

Hey Casey!
Right now I'm just getting into the swing of things at school again. Believe it or not its a break from how much I worked in the summer so maybe before I'm swamped with essays and stuff I'll be able to get on here more!
Generally, I'm feeling pretty good, definitely still have those bad days but I'm dealing, hehe.

#105845 - 09/14/04 03:03 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04

Casey I was thinking about you during work today. This is what I thought: have you ever stopped drinking tap water and taken only bottled water? I know people who have been really sensitive to it when it doesn't bother other people. I don't like tap water myself. But a girl I worked with from Wisconsin came here and got sick right away from the water. She felt better when she stopped drinking it. Anyway it is just a thought. I hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

This stuff has a lot of dairy in it, unfortunately. -nt- new
      #105883 - 09/14/04 06:00 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#105885 - 09/14/04 06:06 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

I used to love muffins & package bakery mixes but had to give them up.

#105895 - 09/14/04 06:55 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Why not buy the lunchbox-sized individual rice milks? The unopened packages do not need to be refridgerated. So, you could keep them all at room temp in your cabinet, and use one at a time in your cereal. That will eliminate the coldness variable and allow you to see if the rice milk itself is causing the attacks.
Incidentally I just stopped using Silk Soy milk after a year, because I really think it was causing me to bloat up with gas. All summer long I used Rice Milk, because I was mostly at the bf's place in London and that's what he drinks. I did not have any gas problems over the summer, but they started up again when I got home. Obviously stress back here is a huge factor, but I've foregone the soy milk all week and was bloat-free. Tomorrow I will try rice milk in my cereal and see how I do.
I really hope you feel better soon. I've been feeling so much better the last several months that I almost feel guilty coming to the boards anymore ... like I don't really have IBS anymore. I think the CDs are helping too, though I'm only up to day 12. I start the second session tonight so I hope it goes well.
Alright time to do some Income Tax Law homework. Oh the joy. (haha actually I'm a nerd and I really do like that class!)
Happy tummies to all, and to all a good night,
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: This stuff has a lot of dairy in it, unfortunately. -nt- new
      #105947 - 09/15/04 03:56 AM
Sara-Sage

Hi Heather. I know it does which is unfortunate. Why can't they use soy milk instead? I guess that means it would just make things worse by bringing on an attack.

Thanks for your response.

#105948 - 09/15/04 04:14 AM
khyricat

Amanda-
keep coming here, you can still over help and advice and good news that it is controllable to the rest of us

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: What would you do? Canola Oil, corn allergy? new
      #105952 - 09/15/04 04:32 AM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

hi,

I know you had a lot of answers back and I did not have the patience to scroll through all of them, because I am getting ready for work. But I found that when I first started doing the IBS diet and making the breads with canolo oil, they upset my stomach, so I switched to Extra Light Tasting Virgin Olive Oil. I don't know what Heather would say about Olive Oil, but I have found it to be great and it is all I use in every recipe in place of canola oil. I can't say if its the corn in canola oil......i can't even remember the ingredients in canolo oil........i just know they made my stomach unhappy. I eat the pumpkin apple spice bread and zuchinni bread all the time made with olive oil and feel fine. So you might maybe have some time of corn allergy. Get tested, I got tested for milk and wheat and it really helped me to verify my suspicians. I hope you feel better, i know how it feels to just not want to eat anything, but at the same time be sooooo hungry.

I had a lot of misspellings in this, but don't feel like correcting....................

good luck!

#105974 - 09/15/04 06:23 AM
Sweetd

I drink Vita Soy or West Soy Lowfat plain soy milk. Silk Soy is so heavy. These don't bother me.

--------------------

Oooh, no, you can't leave... new
      #105975 - 09/15/04 06:31 AM
atomic rose

Who would I talk Lebanese food with, then? Besides... I don't think you ever get rid of IBS completely, you just have it under really good control. Glad to hear the CDs are helping & you're feeling so good! That's wonderful!

I've always resisted the individual packages because they cost so much more, and we're on a really limited budget. But I will probably switch to those, if I find I can drink the "warm" rice milk just fine.

Have fun with that law homework! (If you're a nerd, so am I. I loved Business Law.)

maybe it's the vanilla? -nt- new
      #105987 - 09/15/04 08:28 AM
turrtle

Reged: 08/22/04
Loc: Hartsville, SC

Nope - chocolate rice milk did the same thing. -nt- new
      #105988 - 09/15/04 08:30 AM
atomic rose

must be the shock theory then huh? -nt- new
      #105989 - 09/15/04 08:32 AM
turrtle

Yeah... I still stand by that... new
      #105991 - 09/15/04 08:35 AM
atomic rose

The more I think about it, the more I'm pretty sure it's just that the stuff is a shock to my system... either because it's cold (in the case of the rice milk) or because it's sweet and rich (in the case of the baked goods). 99.9% of what goes into my body is room temperature or warmer, and what little is colder is typically chewed first and therefore becomes warmer. As for the sweets... I haven't eaten much in the way of sugar for almost 2 years. I'm thinking my body just doesn't know what to do with it anymore!

Good thought, though, on the vanilla, btw.

I know what you mean new
      #105994 - 09/15/04 08:42 AM
turrtle

When I lived in NY state, I had problems with the cold. Now in SC, I have problems going from an air conditioned house to a hot car and back and forth. It drives my stomach crazy. I actually have a "normal" cold now. lol D all night last night. Do you have problems dealing with the weather where you are?

Surprisingly, no! new
      #105997 - 09/15/04 08:46 AM
atomic rose

The weather doesn't affect me in the slightest... which is good, considering that I have to deal with both extremes: 90 and humid in the summer, and -50 wind chills in the winter. Apparently, my only "cold" problems have to do with cold food; I guess I should count my blessings. lol! Sorry you have to deal with that - that would drive me crazy!

Hope you're feeling better new
      #105998 - 09/15/04 08:51 AM
turrtle

I'm checking out your clothes for sale. I love the 40s and 50s suits. Haven't found any yet lol. I'm working on some CPK clothes right now then I'm gonna make a hooded cape. Halloween is coming up after all!

Re: What would you do? Canola Oil, corn allergy? new
      #106144 - 09/16/04 01:10 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

When I was talking to a person in a health food shop about what to cook with, they said not to use use canola oil as it is a common intolerance. It's not really widely used here in the UK anyway (took me ages to work out it was rapeseed oil!) so I use olive oil instead.

UPDATE - Well, I found ONE trigger, anyway.... new
      #106672 - 09/18/04 06:45 AM
atomic rose

I was right... COLD doesn't work for me. I had a cup of warmed vanilla rice milk this morning (the same stuff that triggered an attack earlier this week), and I'm fine.

I'm happy that it's not the rice milk itself, but a little bummed that I can't drink it cold... I CANNOT do warm (even room-temp) milk on cereal, it's just one of my weird neurotic quirks. I can't do room-temp smoothies, either. So I guess both of those are out... but on the bright side, warm vanilla rice milk is actually pretty tasty.

I'll tackle Heather's breads next. It's actually been almost 2 months since I've tried one, so maybe my system can handle it now.

Thanks for all the support and suggestions, guys! Y'all rock!

Hey Casey! new
      #106674 - 09/18/04 06:55 AM
barbie

Loc: Texas

Hi Casey

Glad you found the trigger. Can you eat oatmeal? If so, that might be good with warm rice milk. Also, have you ever tried white rice with warm rice milk and cinnamon on top. My mom used to make that for me when I was little only with reg milk. I remember it being quite tasty.

Good luck with the breads.

Barbie

--------------------

Hi Barbie! new
      #106675 - 09/18/04 07:06 AM
atomic rose

I don't like oatmeal... and yes, I've done the warm rice with cinnamon thing, and it's REALLY tasty - kind of like a simplified rice pudding for breakfast. I'm just being a stubborn, whiny child about the whole thing. I wanted cold milk on my Honeycomb!!! Haha.

Oh well. I'll deal with it. I'm happy I can drink it at all. It's about time I can drink something besides water!

Hope you have a great weekend!

good for you! new
      #106724 - 09/18/04 02:07 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04

I hate warm milk! I hope you can work out something good and not boring too! It does suck when you can't handle something you like. But lets face it for us that is a lot of stuff! I'm glad you figured out it was the temperature and are doing okay.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: UPDATE - Well, I found ONE trigger, anyway.... new
      #106725 - 09/18/04 02:12 PM
khyricat

thats great news!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Casey, glad to hear this! new
      #106931 - 09/20/04 05:54 AM
Sweetd

Casey, this is good news! I am glad you found and trigger and that you are feeling better!

--------------------

#106956 - 09/20/04 08:56 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Well, Amanda and Casey, that makes me a nerd too -- Tax Accounting and Business Law were my favorites too! I aced the Business Law section of the CPA exam first time!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#107188 - 09/21/04 02:56 AM
braceletmisfit

Reged: 09/21/04
Loc: Texas, United States

There are times when a person is asymptomatic while still suffering intestinal deterioration. If you don't have problems with all wheat products maybe you have some other sort of food allergy.

If you do have celiac, rice dream products contain traces of gluten. It says it on the box. At least it used to.

--------------------
~~~~~~
Lauren
~~~~~~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 198 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36507

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review