All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Does hot weather trigger attacks of IBS-D for you?
      #10542 - 06/02/03 08:14 PM
Zaftig1

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: USA

I was reading many of the older posts, they bring back so many many bad memories of when my IBS was in full swing (UGH!)

One thing I don't seem to notice is: does hot weather trigger or help trigger IBS for any of you? I used to find that hot weather, if combined with having eaten something fried and esp. being stressed, GUARANTEED a severe attack.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does hot weather trigger attacks of IBS-D for you? new
      #10545 - 06/02/03 08:27 PM
Kristin

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: New Jersey

I hate the hot weather simply because of my stomach. My doctors, friends and family laugh at me when I tell them that my stomach cannot handle the humidity. I avoid spending long amounts of time in the heat because, like you, it guarantees having an "episode."

Kristin

#10550 - 06/02/03 09:18 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

One of my good friends is moving back to Arizona from Tennessee (and if she's reading this, hi!). She's hoping the lesser humidity in AZ will help her IBS symptoms, which only got bad when she came to TN for college.

You're not imagining things... new
      #10554 - 06/02/03 11:11 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

The climate in which you live can make a substantial difference in the frequency and severity of your attacks. Hot, humid weather in particular is actually a stress factor in and of itself, because 1) heat stresses the body, and 2) air pressure changes from humidity affect the levels of serotonin in the body (and over 90% of that serotonin is in your gut), which in turn reduces your pain tolerance level.

I lived in New England for almost 8 years, and the hot, humid summers nearly killed me. I spent every summer struggling to just stay stable (and stay indoors, next to the air conditioner, to stay sane). I had to eat so much more carefully, every single day. I couldn't wait to get back home to Seattle and mild, dry summers, and my health (and state of mind) improved drastically when I did.

Interestingly, I'd spent summers in Arizona as a teenager, and the scorching desert heat didn't bother me one bit. It's the humidity that causes problems.

TessLouise, your friend is likely going to do much better after her move.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#10557 - 06/02/03 11:31 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Just a blur on this its called biometerology.

http://www.gut-reaction.freeserve.co.uk/bio-meteorology.htm

This is on heat stress

also because the gut in IBS is more sensitive, it takes less for an IBSer to be effected.

http://www.labour.gov.sk.ca/safety/thermal/hot/page%203%20.htm

http://www.sema.state.mo.us/heat.htm

also you night want to be careful drinking cold beverages to cool from the heat that may effect or act as a trigger to the ibs.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Re: You're not imagining things... new
      #10607 - 06/03/03 11:15 AM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

I live in Houston. It is known for it's hot HUMID weather. Let me tell you, it's a struggle to go outside in June, July, August, Septemember, and well into October. By the end of last month we were already hitting 97 degrees with a heat index of 110. I've also noticed when we have Ozone watch days it's hard on me. If my husband and I go camping near hill country (Austin area) in June, July, August, and September I do OK. It's hotter there than it is here but no where near as humid. Give me 115 desert dry heat any day. At least in the shade it's not as hot. The heat and humidity do a number on IBS, especially going from the cold AC to the hot outdoors.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 560 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4181

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review