All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
When will doctors ever understand
      #10368 - 05/31/03 09:26 PM
headyna

Reged: 05/12/03
Loc: Michigan

For the past two 1/2 weeks I have been very ill, lost more weight, went to my doctor, and of course I had to finally yell at him and tell him that if they couldn't find some way to help me, then I was going to find a new doc, of course he right away wanted to me to take yet another anti-depressent, and suggested that I speak to someone, because IBS is mostly all in your head! Gave me script for Elavel, and told me to continue to take the Prozac! I took one of the Elavel at bedtime,it made me sleep most of the next day as well, so I stopped taking that! Went to the GI doc on Wednesday, he too suggested that I need to speak with someone to help me control my stress, but set up a upper-endoscopy for me the following day, and was very, very rude. He found in the endoscopy that I have duednialitis, and an ulcler, along with the IBS that I have had since childhood, and gave me script for Nexium, still had script for Protonix, so insurence wouldn't fill Nexium, (same results). So I make an appt with a therapist, who says, yeah you got some stress, and we will work on that, go back to my doc, who says that IBS is no reason to stay off work, so they are sending me back on Monday! I don't wish my condition an anyone, but I would like to know what one of them so called doctors would do if they had to ever deal with one day of a fraction of the symptoms so many of us suffer with daily! Oh, yeah, forgot, I have to go for a upper GI/small bowel series on Thursday, but this is all in my head!
Back to the search for a new doctor!!!!
Sorry so long, needed to vent! Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: When will doctors ever understand new
      #10380 - 06/01/03 05:52 AM
Lisa from LA

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Currently: Raleigh, NC Formerly: Lafayette, LA

I too had bad luck with doctors for many years. One thing I never allowed them to do was prescribe anidepressants for me. This would make me very angry and I would close the door on that MD, so to speak, and seek one who would care enough to find the real problem. I also suffered with severe endometriosis for many, many years. My colon and female organs would definitely tangle. It was my gynocologist and general surgeon that saw for themselves some of the problems with my colon. Though they were not able to fix it or give me much advice, other than Konsyl fiber, it helped to know that it was real. The way I found Heather's board is through a college MD's website where I was searching to get an appointment to see him. Now, I may be able to cancel my appointment as the diet is working very well for me and seem to have the same sensitivities as Heather (preservatives, etc.). Thanks so much Heather for all you do!!!

Lisa

#10429 - 06/01/03 06:49 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Hang in there and find another doctor. It took seeing three different primary doctors before I settled on my current one. I do like my Gastro., but it took awhile before he ordered all the tests to check for the cause of my pain. There are good doctors out there. Hope you find one soon and then hang onto him/her!!

#10432 - 06/01/03 07:21 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. Some "doctors" can be such #$%!#$'s sometimes! But, there are good ones out there, they're just sometimes hard to find. In a way, I guess it's kind of like dating! Don't give up!

Maybe we should start keeping a list of the good ones & where they're located, just like the food brands list. The only problem is, I don't know if people will start listing the bad ones, and I definitely wouldn't want to cause any trouble for Heather. Or the website. They do have a section to look up doctors at WebMD's Find a Doctor Section and you can see how others have rated the doctor, but unfortunately most doctors haven't been rated--at least the ones I've tried to check. Maybe we could help get the ball rolling?

#10442 - 06/01/03 08:41 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

It may help to read this.

http://www.med.miami.edu/patients/glossary/art.asp?ArticleKey=396

I also have to head its not all in the head, but a complicated connection between the digestive system and the brain, one reason for antidepressants is in this article.

There is a lot more information about IBS and the current state of knowledge.

http://www.med.miami.edu/patients/glossary/art.asp?ArticleKey=396

This is a very good article on IBS. Hope it helps.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

This is a great idea, new
      #10444 - 06/01/03 08:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and I've wanted to do something like this, I just don't want the threads on the subject to spiral out of control. I'll post a new subject to start this off, and see if we can keep everything in one thread. The brands list is already a bit chaotic, which will make it tougher to pull into a clear index, especially since I probably won't get to it for at least another week.

And for the doc list it should really be just the good ones...I don't know what kind of trouble I could get in for posting docs people thought were terrible (as appealing as it is to post those guys, so other folks can stay away - Lord knows my pediatrician would be at the top of the list, and I'd love to slap her name on the board with a big warning sign screaming "avoid!"). But I can see the lawsuit now....

Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: This is a great idea,--Heather? new
      #10859 - 06/05/03 01:14 PM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Heather, Did you take the list of doctors off of the board? I have been searching for it so I can edit my message...The phone number I gave was incorrect...Let me know! Thanks so much!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

I bumped it up - see if you see it now! -nt- new
      #10861 - 06/05/03 01:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I bumped it up - see if you see it now! -nt- new
      #10869 - 06/05/03 01:48 PM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Thanks! But it passed my time to edit it...so I will post a new one! I appreciate it!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 503 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1282

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review