All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Birthday Supper - Havoc Prevention?
      #1035 - 02/18/03 12:02 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

A few of the my best friends want to take me out for supper for my birthday next week to a restuarant we used to all go to chat our troubles away.

It was our hang out and is everyones favorite place to go - just like Cheers - where everybody knew our names haha.

Well - now that I have made these diet changes I am wondering if I can even eat their food anymore? The restuarant is pretty Canadian food (Burgers, fries, steaks, creamed soups etc). Wonderful food - but not for me!

Any suggestions on how to make an easy meal selection without having to confuse the waitress? I actually want to be able to eat a meal too not just a bran muffin and OJ because they are "safe".

Hope ya'll can help me!
Thanks

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Birthday Supper - Havoc Prevention? new
      #1037 - 02/18/03 12:11 PM
rachelle

Reged: 01/29/03

I know I hate going out to eat with friends or at work for the same reason. There are very few safe items in restaurants (Atleast for me) But when I have to be in that situation I usually order a baked potato and that is usually ok. I eat it slowly so I am not done before everyone else. Are there any safe steamed vegies you can tolerate?
Happy Birthday and a future of no symptoms!!

#1039 - 02/18/03 12:14 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

See if they have any grilled chicken breasts or seafood. That plus the baked potato, or a side of rice, should be good. Ask that they leave off creamy sauces or butter, and give you fresh lemon wedges instead. They might have a vegetable or chicken noodle soup, plus some dinner rolls. Or a veggie/primavera pasta (ask for no cheese), or a chicken/turkey breast sandwich (get with mustard, no mayo).

Take along some soluble fiber supplements with you and have them as soon as you arrive at the restaurant. Take peppermint tea bags with you too in case the restaurant doesn't have that. Watch what you drink as well as what you eat.

Happy Birthday!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#1040 - 02/18/03 12:28 PM
Lana_Marie

Ok...Do I have to ask the chicken breast to not be grilled in butter or oils or anything? Cuz I think after it's grilled they fry it with onions, mushrooms etc...But I'm not sure how everything is prepared from step one.

They make their baked potatoes with the filling dug out, whipped with onions, cheeses and sour cream and then scooped back in - do you think they are able to serve just a normal baked potatoe?

I only order water or herbal teas at a restuarant and I seem to be good that way. I seem to have the drinking portion of the diet nailed down - but I am having trouble with the food.

Thank you for the advice and birthday wishes!

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#1041 - 02/18/03 12:33 PM
Lana_Marie

Thank you for the birthday wishes.

I will have to try the baked potatoe idea. I am actually ok with alot of veggies.

Actually this weekend - I ordered in Chinese food for Valentines Day for my husband and I. I spent 20 minutes on the phone catering the Dinner For Two into everything I can eat. Right down to ensuring that the vegetables were only tossed into water and no oils or anything. Got the dinner, ate it and had "D" within 10 minutes. It is so frustrating for me - I was literally crying. It has almost made me not want to eat anything because I am sick of eating oatmeal and nothing seems to working. I am getting really frustrated. Does anyone else get like this?

Sorry to rant everyone - but I just get so angry. And to top it off, the weight I have lost at the beginning has all come back, so now its not even rewarding.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#1042 - 02/18/03 12:38 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Well...you could ask for the grilled chicken as plain as possible, and the fried onions/mushrooms on the side. That way you can see just how greasy the veggies are and decide if it's safe to eat them.

They should be able to make a plain baked potato - surely they have a microwave. You might actually get a menu from the restaurant in advance, take it home, see what looks okay, then call the restaurant to see how they can accomodate you. The odds are pretty good they'll have plain white bread you can eat before anything else - that will help.

Standard Canadian and American restaurants are really hard - they just make everything so high in fat. Don't feel bad about asking a lot of questions and making a lot of special requests.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#1043 - 02/18/03 12:45 PM
Lana_Marie

Ok - that sounds easy - so everything should be eat pretty plain - but atleast I can sit with the girls and chit chat the night away - without having to leave early (again)

I will have to ask lots of questions but that's ok - I already warned the girls and they are wonderful about it.

Thank you for answering so quickly - that is so wonderful. OK I am feeling alot better about the eating out thing (for now)

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#1053 - 02/18/03 02:52 PM
Sue48

Loc: The Sunflower State: Kansas

I, too, want you to have a great dinner w/ friends. And the best way is to not stress and to order safe foods.
Did you remember to tell the Chinese food place to NOT use MSG? That can be a real trigger for some.
Best of luck...

--------------------
Sue

#1057 - 02/18/03 04:46 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hang in there! Enjoy your birthday dinner, fellow Canadian! We have all been there. I smell chinese food and have a D-attack. It may take some time, but you will figure out what you can order from restaurants. I always prefer takeout to dine-in for obvious reasons. At least we can cry together and support one another.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#1058 - 02/18/03 05:08 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I usually do take-out as well. I got together today with some girl friends and I actually suggested a night out without the kids. They were all excited. I told them we will have to do a movie first then food. They all agreed. I also have found out they have similar attacks when they go out to eat, so we are all in good company. Who knew?

#1079 - 02/19/03 10:41 AM
Lana_Marie

Oh my gosh - that had to be what it was - I never even thought of that. Thank goodness for this board...I would have never thought of that. I will let them know that next time and see if that helps me.

Thank you so much

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#1080 - 02/19/03 10:43 AM
Lana_Marie

You know I was considering to order in, but I just really miss the restuarant atmosphere. I am so tired of not eating out anymore.

So, where in Canada are you Hans?

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#1081 - 02/19/03 10:45 AM
Lana_Marie

That must be nice to be able to chat about your similiar problems. I, unfortunately, only have one friend who has IBS but she has C and I have D so we really can't compare answers because what works for her does not work for me (Obviously)

But my friends are super good about it - I was really honest with them - but they are wonderful and could careless if I have to pick apart my entire meal all night haha.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#1083 - 02/19/03 10:59 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Lana-Marie
My friends have similar symptoms but it is not every day all the time. They at least can sympathize with me, but they can not completely understand. They do a great job of listening and I appreciate them so much.

On the other hand I have a sister-in-law, who up to this point, thinks it is all in my head. I have not talk to her about it in awhile, but when we went on vacation with her a couple of years ago I thought I was going to pull out all my hair. I had just been diagnosed with it at the time and she insisted it was all because I got my period and that was all. Pretty much she told me to take some Imodium and get over it. She drives me crazy and she is the only one in my husband's family that does.

#1085 - 02/19/03 11:08 AM
Lana_Marie

I totally understand your frustration...while most of our friends and family understand the unique situation of can's and cannot's of eating, my husbands boss just does not get it!

He is a great friend of ours (was our best man for our wedding). But when we were talking about it one night he said well maybe you should just eat what you want because that just doesn't sound right to me! Now we pretty just tell him I am on a diet. Sometimes lieing to prevent the annoyance is totally worth it!

I think it's because people haven't heard of IBS so they think its nothing. Some people have compared it to Chrones so when explaining it I tell people its in the same family. (Which isn't a lie) but people can relate and are more tolerable of something they have heard of.

And then there are those people who just don't care...maybe you should get your husband to talk to her for you. My husband is wonderful like that and would definately have a chit chat with her for me (My sister in law is actually wonderful - luckily)

Good luck

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#1090 - 02/19/03 01:29 PM
juniorrachel

Loc: St. Louis, MO

hey! happy birthday.

my birthday was yesterday... i turned 21. i went to the Whole Foods Market and got some organic pasta and sauce and mushrooms and wine, because although i know alcohol is a no-no, it was my 21st! i had to! :-) i did just fine with everything, just my normal noisy insides afterwards, but this morning i felt awful. still am not sure if it was IBS or menstrual cramps. i cried for the 3rd time this month over my symptoms. i think i'm just stressed out cuz i am still waiting to finish testing and stuff and i'm not even officially diagnosed yet. my boyfriend told me not to worry so much and i told him i can't help it because when i try not to worry then i worry about whether i'm worrying too much!!! aaaaaah!!! i try to hold on to the good days, but lately i've just been down and i'm thinking i might talk to my doctor about whether i should look into psychological factors more, because its just been so hard this month.

anyway, i did have a good birthday in spite of my little side rant there. :-) hope yours is great too. you'll make it! have fun with the girls.

Beth

#1106 - 02/19/03 07:33 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Lana Marie - When I go to a place like that and if they have chicken breasts, I request a chicken breast or tenders not breaded or fried, a baked potato or rice and some well cooked veggies. The waitresses don't look at me funny and I don't feel funny ordering it. It might cost a little more, but at least I don't worry about upsetting my system because I'm embarrassed or feel funny about requesting something different. The waitresses always seem eager to please the customer and you know what they say, the customer's always right! Go get 'em, girl! Good luck. Let us know what you finally ordered, too.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#1122 - 02/20/03 06:02 AM
Lana_Marie

I will keep you posted..

Thanks

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#1123 - 02/20/03 06:05 AM
Lana_Marie

Well Happy Belated Birthday Beth!

You sound so much like me - I fold too easily - I know I am getting some kinda cake for my birthday there (You get it free when its your birthday), but I will have to keep my chin up and pass 'er on down the table.

Maybe just a nibble first? Ok, Goin' down the table, got it!

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#1125 - 02/20/03 06:15 AM
Sue48

Hi
Could you drop some kind of HINT that this year IF anyone thinks you deserve a birthday cake that it be Angel food?

Sometimes hints work really really well.
My birthday was 2/6 and I passed on cake, ice cream, the whole bit...it was pineapple sherbert as I recall.

Pain is a great motivator for me to stay on the diet.

Good luck

--------------------
Sue

#1128 - 02/20/03 06:26 AM
Lana_Marie

I don't think this restuarant serves Angel Food cake. Unfotunately.

I don't know why I have so much trouble sticking to the diet. I just miss the grill cheeses and brocolli chedder soups too much! That was what us girls did when we got together was ate. I think the pain doesn't bother me so much because I lived with it for 7 years and although painfull - I find it even more disappointing when I try to be so disciplined and I still get "D". It makes me so frustrated that I just cry so instead of crying because of disappointment - I cry because of pain.

I don't that is so terrible, but I just hate disappointment so much.(As I sure everyone does)

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#1156 - 02/20/03 02:47 PM
Sue48

I would suggest that someone bring the angel food cake along. As Heather has suggested, one good excuse to use is that you have food sensitivities/allergies, and cannot tolerate certain foods. Most people have a great understanding and respect for that. You are after all buying restaurant foods, so the place is not just letting you use the space for nothing.
I can well understand your disappointment...but your body does understand the difference of WHY you are crying...if it's from not having the foods you like (there's that gut brain working) or the foods!
Keep a smile on your face and try for the positive attitude.
I cry too, and my dear hubby always reminds me that my gut knows what's going on and the anxiety doesn't help. He's right.
Try to think of the best case scenario!
Sue

--------------------
Sue

#1159 - 02/20/03 03:00 PM
juniorrachel

Loc: St. Louis, MO

well, for my birthday i made a devil's food cake (from the box because i'm lazy, and they use cocoa powder in the mix) but used the "low fat" instructions: replaced the whole eggs with egg whites, and the oil with applesauce. ended up tasting great and didn't bother me at all. and Rice Dream on the side. man, i love rice dream! Whole Foods Market carries the whole line... vanilla, chocolate... mmm yeah

Beth

#1165 - 02/20/03 04:29 PM
Sue48

sounds,yummy, and worth a try. And something that might be carried to a restaurant as well.

sue

--------------------
Sue

#1181 - 02/21/03 06:16 AM
Lana_Marie

I have never tried to take outside food into a restuarant but I don't know if I would feel comfortable doing that - maybe I could make a cake that I can eat and invite the girls over after for some. Then I wouldn't feel like I am missing out because I have some waiting at home for me.

I will have to learn to relax more about my diet, but as everyone I am sure understands, its tough to change eating habits you have had all your life.

Thanks for the advice Sue,

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#1201 - 02/21/03 02:22 PM
Sue48

Lana,
You have to do what's comfortable for you...the idea of asking the girls over after the celebration is a great idea!

Sue

--------------------
Sue

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2754 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11618

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review