All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Recipes using fresh mint.
      #82351 - 06/23/04 11:01 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

My friend gave me fresh mint today from her garden. Does anyone have recipes using mint. Also can I use fresh mint of make tea, which would be awesome.

Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

There are some drink recipes in Eating for IBS... new
      #82355 - 06/23/04 11:06 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and any tea you make with fresh mint will be wonderful!!! Just don't brew too long, as it can get a little bitter.

You can finely shred the leaves and add to anything with fresh fruit - this works well for fruit salads and shortcakes. There's a fresh mint lime sorbet in EFI too - that is really refreshing in hot weather.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: There are some drink recipes in Eating for IBS... new
      #82360 - 06/23/04 11:12 AM
BarbaraS

Heather how long do I brew the tea? Do you know how to dry the leaves. You should see my friend's backyard - mint has taken over part of it. She told me I can take as much as I want.

Re: Recipes using fresh mint. new
      #82398 - 06/23/04 11:46 AM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

There's always the mint julep: simmer fresh mint leaves with a little sugar and water to make a mint syrup. Stir a little syrup and a lot of bourbon into a glass half full of crushed ice. Yum.

Lamburgers: Put fresh ground lamb in a mixing bowl and add salt, pepper, finely chopped onion and apple and celery. Add an egg and some crushed crackers like you're making meatloaf, and a splash of either white wine or V8 juice. Form into balls or patties and fry gently till just browned. Pour in wine or V8 or apple juice or pineapple juice (or some combination thereof) till the liquid's about one inch deep in the skillet. Add mint leaves -- just a couple or maybe a dozen, depending on how much you like mint, and a few golden raisins. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, then uncover and simmer till the liquid is reduced by half.

Chocolate mint ice cream: Simmer mint leaves with sugar and water till you have a nice mint syrup, then mix that with chocolate syrup and drizzle it over vanilla or chocolate ice cream.

Minted brownies: Chop mint leaves really fine and add them to a batch of brownies.

I'd avoid the lamb, or just substitute new
      #82413 - 06/23/04 12:25 PM
HeatherAdministrator

ground skinless chicken/turkey breast, or use something like a soy TVP product. And sub a couple egg whites for the whole egg.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#82416 - 06/23/04 12:28 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Try brewing the fresh leaves in boiling water for about 3-5 minutes - kinda crush them with a spoon as they brew to release the volatile oils. Taste after a few minutes - you'll know if it's starting to get bitter.

I'd imagine you could just hang whole branches of the plant upside down to dry - clip with a clothespin to a clothesline or something in a cool dry place (basement, garage, etc.) Once they dry you can just rub off the leaves.

- H

--------------------

Thanks Heather. new
      #82514 - 06/23/04 04:56 PM
BarbaraS

The tea was wonderful and I brought a sample to my friend's house. She and her husband loved it too.

BTW I made your curry chicken salad for the first time today. It didn't go well with my kids and my husband perfer I not use ginger next time. It was great stuffed in pita bread and my friends loved your recipe too. Of course being Asian they loved the salad.

#82617 - 06/24/04 01:55 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

My mom, whose background is Lebanese, grows and uses mint like it's going out of style. It has taken over our back yard (this stuff needs not help to grow). Sometimes she hangs it to dry it, but more often she lays the bunches of it in a roasting pan or casserole and just stores it in the oven until it dries out. This way you don't get little bits of mint all over the place, as you can when you hang it. Just REMEMBER to check the oven before you preheat it to cook anything. Burnt mint smells okay, but only the first 30 or so times ...

When it's dry, we smush it up by putting some in our palms and rolling our hands back and forth. When we put it in a jar, dried like that, it's called "nana" in Arabic. We put it on yogurt all the time. Try it on soy yogurt (my favorite brand for plain is Wildwood) with some garlic, salt, and thinly sliced cucumbers. Mmmm nothing better in the summer.
We also use nana on top of any hot lamb dish that includes yogurt, of which there are many. Too bad I can't eat any of them anymore!

As for the fresh mint ...
Have you ever had a Mojito? It's my absolute most favorite drink ever. It's made with fresh mint, sugar, light rum, and fresh lime juice. It's sooo good. Mmmm.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Thanks Amanda. new
      #82651 - 06/24/04 06:10 AM
BarbaraS

I'll dry leaves the way your mom does.
Quote:

Just REMEMBER to check the oven before you preheat it to cook anything.

LOL I learned my lesson to check my oven a few years ago. One of my boys hide a toy in the oven and burnt plastic doesn't smell good.

#82663 - 06/24/04 06:50 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Have you ever had a Mojito? It's my absolute most favorite drink ever. It's made with fresh mint, sugar, light rum, and fresh lime juice. It's sooo good. Mmmm. Amanda? Do you have the specific amounts of each ingredient for Mojito....? It sounds wonderful as a summer drink!!!

And BTW, can I come live with your MOM????

Kandee

--------------------

#82682 - 06/24/04 07:44 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

Have you ever had a Mojito? It's my absolute most favorite drink ever. It's made with fresh mint, sugar, light rum, and fresh lime juice. It's sooo good. Mmmm.

Ohhh... mojitos... if alcohol was IBS safe I'd be drinking those every day.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

I got yer mojitos right here... new
      #82683 - 06/24/04 07:46 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Kandee, this is the mojitos recipe I use!! You can also make it by the glass. I can look that one up for you if you'd like.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#82761 - 06/24/04 09:41 AM

Unregistered

Amanda, I'd like to live with your Mom too! She sounds like a down home culinary epicurean!! You always mention delicious stuff, like popcorn with a tad bit of olive oil and basil (or something like that) and your mom's homemade yogurt. Oh, to be IBS free. What a dream.

Edited by Aunie (06/24/04 12:01 PM)

mint in thai food new
      #82911 - 06/24/04 03:29 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I use mint and/or basil/thai basil in all my asian cooking that calls for the dreaded cilantro. I came up with a spinach sidedish a long time ago that of course can only be eaten after lots of rice but it is garlic, ginger and a thai hot pepper(I use half of one with seeds) minced, in pot with spray. Add 1 bag baby spinach coarsely chopped and a little salt or soy sauce. Cover and wilt. Add some thai basil, basil, and/or mint and finish wilting. The herbs make it seem spicier without having too much pepper. I don't know how this works.

I made this last night and it was safe for me. I quadrupled it for a family. I used a package of pasta and a basil/mint mixture for the cilantro. I also reduced the peanuts on mine and increased the ginger.
Thai Shrimp-and-Pasta Salad

2 ounces uncooked linguine
1/2 cup shredded carrot
8 ounces medium shrimp, cooked and peeled
1 cup thinly sliced Boston lettuce leaves
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped green onions
2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced

Cook pasta in boiling water 9 1/2 minutes. Add carrot; cook an additional 30 seconds. Drain, and cool. Combine pasta mixture, shrimp, lettuce, cilantro leaves, and peanuts in a large bowl; toss well.
Combine lime juice and remaining ingredients in a jar. Cover tightly, and shake vigorously. Pour over pasta mixture, tossing gently to coat.

Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 2 cups)

CALORIES 367 (28% from fat); FAT 10.6g (satfat 2g, monofat 3.8g, polyfat 4.8g); PROTEIN 26.2g; CARBOHYDRATE 37.4g; FIBER 3.2g; CHOLESTEROL 166mg; IRON 4.9mg; SODIUM 1512mg; CALCIUM 80mg;

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Thanks for all the ideas! new
      #82935 - 06/24/04 05:06 PM
BarbaraS

I made turkey burgers today for supper using fresh mint. Look for my post.

If you have any mint left new
      #83594 - 06/26/04 05:36 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Buy (or just read at the store) the July Gourmet magazine. There are several good recipes with mint. I will also mention that I like to chop fresh herbs and freeze in ice cube trays with a little water then take out and put in freezer bags. You could use them in drinks or just use with cooking like I do.
Here is one of the recipes
Frozen Mint Lemonade
1/2 c fresh lemon juice
1/2 c sugar
1/3 c packed mint leaves
2 c water
about 3 cups small ice cubes
Blend juice, sugar and mint in a blender until chopped/dissolved; add water and some ice to fill blender blend until smooth. Serve immediately with a fresh mint sprig in each glass. makes 4

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 315 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4464

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review