All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What to do with all this rice?
      #6356 - 04/17/03 03:42 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I went to Sam's today and bought a 25 lb. bag of Jasmine rice. (My favorite kind ) Great deal. It was only about $8 when I typically pay like $3 or $4 for 2 lb.

Here's the problem: How do I store all this rice? Does anyone have any bulk-rice-buying storage tips?

BTW: My boyfriend absolutely, can not stand rice! He can't even stand the smell of it cooking...isn't that weird! LOL But, he carried my 25 lb. bag for me (complaining the whole time of course about where am I going to keep it! ). Isn't he the greatest? *sigh* It must be love! LOL He accepts me IBS, rice and all!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What to do with all this rice? new
      #6364 - 04/17/03 05:11 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I keep my rice either in the big bag or in a big ceramic crock. Either way, put a few whole bay leaves in there - that will keep the buggies out. Then just roll the bag top down as tight as you can and you should be good to go. I've never had a problem with storing rice at all, and it doesn't seem to take any special tricks.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#6366 - 04/17/03 05:55 PM
*Melissa*

Oh thanks so much Heather! That was one of the problems I was worried about. I did have problems with the buggies once a long time ago. What a disgusting mess!

You're the best!

#6445 - 04/19/03 06:04 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

How did you get rid of those disgusting buggies? I started putting everything in tupperware and right now I haven't seen them but the warm weather is coming.

#6446 - 04/19/03 06:58 AM
*Melissa*

Well, it was a long time ago, when I was younger & less prone to pay attention to food storage. I lived on my own in an apartment, and basically ate out most of the time, if at all. (Yes, this was way prior to my IBS days.)

I think my rice came already infested with them. One day I went to use the rice, and there were these little worm things in there. They had turned into moths and gotten all over my cupboards. I threw anything out that I was afraid was infested (wasn't much, didn't keep much food in the apartment back in those days) and scrubbed all the cupboards with bleach/water. It worked thankfully, but it was sssoooooo gross!! I actually ran to the bathroom and threw up when I saw them in the rice.

The small pkgs of rice I was getting came in a resealable bag (like zip-lok), so that's why I was a little leery about this big bag. I'm going to go out and get Tupperware to store it, plus use the bay leaves. You can never be too safe, I've learned.

Hope this didn't gross you out too much!

Re: What to do with all this rice? Depends on where you live... new
      #6452 - 04/19/03 07:41 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Mags, et al: I think it depends on where you live, too. There's nothing you can do about food being already infested when you buy it. But, getting a little protein in with your starch can't hurt LOL!

Up here in the mountains, I don't have half the problem with food storage that I had in the Bay Area--it sure was a lot damper down there. But, from living there so long, I always keep everything in Tupperware or sealed by my Food Saver. That plastic is so thick, I don't think the bugs can penetrate it--that is unless there's a Bug Jaws of Life that we don't know about LOL!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Edited by SharonMello (04/19/03 07:42 AM)

#6466 - 04/19/03 12:00 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

The only suggestion no one else has made is a giant glass jar. This is what my parents have always used (and not just for rice, but for flour, dried beans, etc.). They use the bay leaves, too. But the best things (IMHO) about the glass jars are that 1) you're not exposing the food to plastic for long periods of time AND 2) you can SEE any bugs if, heaven forbid, there are any. I know once we had some moth-y Cream of Wheat, but it wasn't TOO gross b/c I picked the jar up, noticed some flying things, and just took it outside and dumped it in the garden. Don't think I've eaten Cream of Wheat since, however...

Re: That's Perfect! new
      #6482 - 04/19/03 05:18 PM
*Melissa*

Thanks SO MUCH!!! I forgot I have this humongous glass jar that my uncle gave me a long time ago to make pickled eggs in. Never got around to doing that, but I did pack the jar way, way in the back of some cabinet somewhere. I'll have to dig it out now. That's just perfect!

Thanks again!

#6493 - 04/19/03 08:10 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Tess, tupperware is much,much better aqnd glass breaks. Take it from me, get some good tupperware. Go to my.tupperware.ca to find yourself s good rep.

#6547 - 04/20/03 01:20 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Louise,
This is not the place to get into lifestyle choices that don't have to do with Heather's diet, but plastic can leach chemicals into food (Tupperware is prolly some of the safest plastic, but still), and besides, I already keep tons of food in glass with nothing broken so far--I've got jars of barley, lentils, channa dal, brown and white rice, grits, etc. stored in glass. Canning jars are pretty darn sturdy, and I'm not exactly throwing them down stairs. Thanks for your concern, though.
Amelia

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 184 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5799

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review