Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Irritable Dead Bread Syndrome!
      #49937 - 03/12/04 09:24 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hello!

My poor boyfriend "Steve", who has never baked a crumb in his life, has tried twice now to make bread in our new Breadman Ultimate, which he bought for me for my birthday. The machine resides at his home in Silicon Valley, California so I can make bread when I visit there. (I had been unable to find bread there that I could tolerate.)

Both of Steve's bread-making attempts have resulted in the dough not rising.

Steve has so far tried two different brands of yeast, one of which was well within the expiry date, and the other of which had no expiry date.

Steve has asked me to post this message to see if anyone could recommend a good yeast that is reliable. He wants to ensure the machine-making machine is working properly so that I will be able to make bread when I visit him again next month.

Thank you in advance for any recommendations!

Belinda

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Irritable Dead Bread Syndrome! new
      #50104 - 03/12/04 02:47 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi- my guess is that he's killing the yeast. Is he using very lukewarm water - not at ALL hot?

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#50114 - 03/12/04 03:23 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

To make sure my water isn't too hot I nuke the water in the microwave for 40 seconds.

#50129 - 03/12/04 04:08 PM
angelwhispers

Reged: 12/12/03

I have been making bread in my machine for many years. In fact I've gone through 3 bread machines and I find that "bread machine yeast" is the best and I use a candy or meat thermometor to make sure my water isn't too hot. Temp. guide lines are on the yeast package. Water should never be hotter than recommeded.

Interesting! new
      #50179 - 03/12/04 08:27 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Heather et al:

Your replies are very interesting! Steve mentioned he didn't have a proper thermometer to test the water temperature and he wondered if temperature could be the problem.

However, Steve is very "frugal" (!) with his electricity and water heater, so I didn't think the water temperature could possibly be too hot (I didn't think it could actually get hot!) -- but perhaps temperature is the problem.

Here's what Steve wrote to me late last night when he was contemplating whether temperature was the culprit: "...The manual says to get the water temperature to 28C (84F) before adding it to the mix. I run the water until it is lukewarm. Cooking thermometers which I've seen in stores don't register below 100F (38C). I have a bathroom thermometer somewhere but don't know if it registers as low as 28C, since normal body temperature is 37C."

Anyway, I have forwarded your replies to Steve. Please let me know if you have any other insights/suggestions and I will forward them to him as well.

Thank you so much!

Belinda

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 841 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1461

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review