All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
carmel sauce-help Heather!
      #47800 - 03/03/04 05:47 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03
Loc: iowa

Heather I have tried twice to make the carmel sauce in Eating For IBS-it just has sugar and water. The first time everything was fine till I added the 1/2 cup water at the end. Part of it congealed into a sugary ball and would not blend back in so I threw it away. Next it didn't get so brown, but didn't thicken and is just sugar water. Any suggestions? I followed the recipe as it is in the book.
Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: carmel sauce-help Heather! new
      #48027 - 03/04/04 03:30 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - is this the caramel sauce in the Vietnamese recipe?

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#48102 - 03/04/04 07:41 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03
Loc: iowa

Yes Heather, that is the one. Is it to be thick or thin?

#253707 - 03/22/06 09:22 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I'm having the same "problem". It doesn't seem to turn brown or thicken, and is more like a sugar water. How long do you cook on low before it turns brown? I finally gave up on it and used it watery, and it came out good, but seems like it's supposed to be thicker.

#255061 - 03/28/06 06:51 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Oh geez...itt has been so long since I've made this recipe, and I can't remember having any trouble with the sauce.

There is another way to do it - you add just the sugar to a dry skillet and melt it over over low heat without stirring until it's gold brown, then stir in the water.

I think with the way it's written in the recipe, you just have to make sure you dissolve the sugar in the water by stirring it well as it heats, and then once it's at a boil you just keep it there till it reduces and turns golden. It shouldn't take that long at a full boil to start to caramelize. You want this happen before you turn it to low, and then keep it at low till it's golden brown. If you don't get it to really start to change color on high heat first, it won't caramelize enough on low. But, as soon as it changes color, reduce the heat to brown it so it won't burn.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 299 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1961

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review