All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cane sugar
      #37259 - 01/13/04 04:48 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03
Loc: iowa

Is this IBS safe? Can it be substituted in baking recipes? I heard that it is more nutritous than regular beet sugar.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cane sugar new
      #37279 - 01/13/04 06:03 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - cane sugar is interchangeable with beet sugar. There's no nutritional difference. Brown and white table/baking sugars are from either cane or beets - they're very highly refined sugars, with virtually no nutritional benefits. They're just simple carbohydrates.

The only pure sugars for cooking with that have some nutritional value are those that are unrefined - maple syrup, honey, barley malt syrup, brown rice syrup.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#37289 - 01/13/04 06:47 PM
joanmarie

Heather,
Have you had any success in cooking with Brown Rice Syrup?

#37293 - 01/13/04 06:56 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Only in special recipes that specifically call for it. I have a vegan dessert cookbook that I haven't really played around with, but the few recipes I've tried have been good. The book is great because it has terrific info about cooking with alternatives to refined sweeteners, and how they're not all interchangeable, and how to use each type, including brown rice syrup. I do find it kind of a pain to try and use these things instead of refined sugar, because each recipe seems to call for something different (maple sugar, barley malt, brown rice syrup, etc.). And they are all really, really expensive. The maple sugar cost almost 12 bucks for a little jar - I used the whole thing in just one recipe. The cake was good, but seriously - that was just too pricey. I have the barley malt in the fridge and need to try some recipes with it. Don't have the rice syrup on hand any more.

The book is "Great Good Desserts Naturally" by Fran Costigan if you want to check it out. Personally, I've found it easier and cheaper to just make my sweets less often and use real sugar.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#37296 - 01/13/04 07:16 PM
joanmarie

Heather,
Thanks for your honest opinion. I would be very interested in knowing what you have found to be your favorite recipe books.
Thanks,
Joan

Brown Rice syrup new
      #37313 - 01/13/04 08:47 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I've used it and can tell you 2 things. It ISN'T very sweet, and it's low on the glycemic index. I've used it in place of corn syrup, like in a pecan pie, and for that it's a-ok. I've used on pancakes and waffles and it just isn't sweet enough (unless you don't like your syrup very sweet). I've used it in plain yogurt and said to myself, "what's the point?" Sooo, unless you have a specific need for it don't bother paying the extra price.

Now cactus syrup (made from the agave plant) is another story. I really like it but can't see the point in the extra cost either.

Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 101 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1510

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review