All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Canadian shortening substitution
      #31202 - 12/10/03 05:43 PM
LindaLouise

Reged: 07/20/03
Loc: Toronto, Canada

I'd really like to make Heather's chicken and dumplings, but I live in Toronto and can't find Spectrum or Soy Garden shortening for the dumplings. I"ve tried the major and some minor health food stores downtown. Anyone in my area had any luck?? Is rice butter the same thing? Or is there anything else that it would be called besides shortening??
Linda

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Canadian shortening substitution new
      #31230 - 12/10/03 07:46 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

rice butter usually has less fat and calories and is a different consistency.

you could simply cut the amount of shortening you use by 1/3...

good luck!

btw, what type of psychotherapist are you? where were you educated? what type of patients do you work with? just curious ... psychotherapy, counseling, and psychology are fields which interest me.

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Re: Canadian shortening substitution new
      #31317 - 12/11/03 09:33 AM
LindaLouise

Reged: 07/20/03
Loc: Toronto, Canada

Thanks, Shanna. Actually, the recipe calls for soy shortening (it's Heather's recipe from one of her recent newsletters) so I was hoping to use either that or something equivalent in soy or rice . . . The soy brands you get in the US don't seem available to me here in Toronto.
I am an MSW (Masters of Social Work) with a clinical focus from a school in Waterloo, Ontario. I initially had an MA in English Lit, but some MSW schools like mine have special 2-year programs for folks who don't have an undergrad degree in social work. Terrific program. I work 4 days a week in an intensive clinic with adults with eating disorders, doing group and family therapy. One day a week I have my private practice with a variety of clients including some with eating disorders. I really love what I do! Thanks for asking!
I notice you are studying Spanish and planning some time in Spain. I did a sort of Peace Corp thing in Mexico one summer, in community development, that was wonderful, and then lived in Mexico for two years later in my life when I was involved in yoga. I also loved travelling through Spain. So I envy you your time coming up in Spain! Enjoy!!
Warmly,
Linda
P.S.: I'm not sure, but I think we're not supposed to take space for this much personal stuff? Can someone set me right on this?

The occasional post on this is just fine.... new
      #31445 - 12/11/03 03:13 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

the Living Room is for when a thread just spirals off-topic and starts including a lot of non-forum related posts. Don't worry - you're just fine.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 748 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1373

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review