All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Lard questions
      #30169 - 12/05/03 10:04 AM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

I make buns and it calls for lard. What is the best to use? I have used Tenderflake which is lard and done ok with that but was thinking of switching to Crisco as it's vegetable based shortening. And I can use it in cookies and so on. What are your thoughts?

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lard questions new
      #30183 - 12/05/03 11:38 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Well, I'd avoid the lard completely! I can't think of a fat that would be more difficult to digest - it's gotta be even worse than butter.

Try a non-hydrogenated soy margarine like Soy Garden, or for baking you can also use Spectrum Spread. These are much healthier fats than lard (or butter), and less likely to cause GI upsets. But - here's the catch - they are still fats, and all fats are GI stimulants, so too much of them is not a good thing.

If your bun recipe is lowfat overall (say, no more than 25% of calories from fat) then you should be able to use these soy options without problem. If the recipe is high fat, then even with these healthy fats you could still face IBS problems from the recipe.

Also - for some baking, lard will give you the lightest, flakiest results, so the soy options might not produce the texture you're used to. I don't really know a way around that - it's definitely not worth using the lard just to get the texture.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Lard questions new
      #30438 - 12/07/03 12:43 PM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Thanks for the suggestions Heather, but up here I can't get those things. I've been using a lactose free margarine for most things. The only soy one I can find has whey in it. Go figure. I would say the recipe is fairly low as it's only a 1/4 cup of lard to 7 cups of flour. They haven't been bothering me anyway. I love these buns and they are at least as safe as I can make them for myself. I've also found that goat's milk is going quite well. And it's so yummy! It is much closer in flavour to cow's milk so it doesn't alter the flavour in my recipes as much. It's expensive though...

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 301 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1602

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review