All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Appetizer suggestions for a potluck lunch
      #289979 - 11/13/06 11:21 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

We are going to a potluck lunch next Sunday at a friend's house. We are each supposed to bring some kind of appetizer. I'll be bringing a safe sandwich and chips for myself, but I'm trying to come up with a yummy safe dish I can take to share. We will be going straight there after church, so it needs to be something that will be okay to serve cold, to reheat quickly, or to take in something warm like a slow cooker.

Any ideas? Please only suggest things that you have actually tried and KNOW will be yummy!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Appetizer suggestions for a potluck lunch new
      #290046 - 11/14/06 11:42 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I love the White Bean and Almond Dip in Heather's EFI Cookbook. I serve it with small toasted slices of baguette rather than with the larger chunks Heather suggests.

I also love ShellMarr's Artichoke Hummus. It's super easy and super good with pita. If you can warm the pita that's nice but as long as it's fresh not really necessary.

Both of these are fine - probably best - at room temperature.

HTH. Enjoy yourself.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#290058 - 11/14/06 01:20 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Can the appetizer be something sweet? If so, the peanut butter brownies in the recipe archive are fabulous. The Junior Mint brownies are almost as good.

Otherwise, the only appetizer recipe in the index that I've tried and liked are the Chinese meatballs. They were really good (my husband and I ate the whole pot full in one sitting -- oops). I made them in my crock pot.

You can also do baked Tostitos with salsa and/or guacamole if you're feeling more basic. You can buy safe salsa but you'd probably have to make the guacamole yourself. (I feel like I'm misspelling that.)

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#290067 - 11/14/06 03:04 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I was also going to recommend Shell's artichoke hummus. It's super easy, and you could carry it in one of those insulated lunch box things... I like to add a dash or two of cayenne to spice it up a bit!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Hummus questions new
      #290082 - 11/14/06 04:39 PM
Julie E

Thanks for the great suggestions! I think I'll try the hummus. I've never eaten it before, but I've seen it talked about a lot on here. Do you always use the canned garbanzo beans? I have a can, but I also bought a bag of them. Just wondering what I can do with them now... The beans are SF, right??

Also, tahini... I thought I'd heard on here somewhere that it wasn't safe. Just curious. If it is safe, it sounds like it would make the hummus taste even better. Also, that is what has kept me from buying hummus in the store... always has tahini in it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think this will be yummy!

Tahini can be safe... new
      #290084 - 11/14/06 04:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it's high in fat, so treat it like peanut butter or some such. It's a very strong flavor, so you don't have to use much at all. It's wonderful in hummus!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Tahini can be safe... new
      #290098 - 11/14/06 05:44 PM
Sand

I agree with Heather - it can be yummy in hummus (hummy?). But I wouldn't use it in the artichoke hummus - I think it would overwhelm the artichoke taste which is pretty delicate.

I always use canned garbanzo beans in hummus. Well, okay, actually Joe is the hummus maker in the family, but he always uses canned garbanzo beans. He says he drains them first - I don't know if the recipe specifies that or not.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#290165 - 11/15/06 08:03 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Actually, there was talk on the original recipe thread of replacing some of the oil with juice from the artichokes and garbanzo beans. I believe I only use 1 tablespoon of oil and use ~2 Tablespoons each from the cans of artichokes and garbanzo beans. Cuts down on the fat and adds a little more flavor!

I like to eat mine with Guiltless Gourmet baked corn chips.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#290185 - 11/15/06 10:46 AM
Sand

You know, I posted the stuff about substituting liquid from the beans and artichokes. Sigh. There's nothing like total absent-mindedness.

I love Guiltless Gourmet chips, too.

--------------------

#290220 - 11/15/06 02:56 PM
Julie E

Great, thanks! For this lunch, I think I'll try the artichoke recipe replacing some of the oil with the liquid. I'll try the tahini in another recipe later. Believe it or not, I've never eaten garbanzo beans before... I went out to lunch with my mom today, and there were garbanzo beans on the salad bar. I grabbed a few and tasted them... not to bad!

I bet this hummus will be delicious!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 129 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4796

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review