All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather- why is the fat in the spanish almond romesco sauce so high& why is this OK for IBS?
      #25589 - 11/05/03 09:35 AM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Do the almonds add this much fat? If yes, would it work to reduce the amt of almonds or eliminate them? If not, I'm wondering why we IBS-ers can eat something that has such a high fat content? I think it'd be great if we could, b/c I'm always hungry w/in 3-4 hours after each meal since starting your diet, . I'd like to get more fat into my diet but I'm concerned that it'll flare up my C-IBS. I very definitely don't want to do that, b/c I've been feeling GREAT for almost 2 weeks now, after being on your diet faithfully - I feel like a religious zealot about your diet - since first week of August.

BTW: as you advise others- you probably already know this-my impression from my personal experience and reading this board for 3 months, is that the longer one has had C-IBS symptoms and the worse they had become over a long period of time, the longer it takes for your approach ie:diet/supplmts/teas/lots of H2O/Beano to clearly prove that they do make a BIG diff. So hopefully you can use this feedback to encourage others to be PATIENT and CONSISTENT, b/c if they are your approach DOES work!!

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

It's only 32% calories from fat, and the soluble fiber is really high... new
      #25636 - 11/05/03 11:11 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

It's the almonds and the olive oil that provide the fat, but the almonds also have soluble fiber. So does the pasta, and the bread in the sauce, so the total combo, even though it's at the limit of what I'd give for an IBS meal (30% fat max in general) is still a safe meal.

I actually almost didn't include this recipe in the book because I didn't want the numbers to scare someone - but it's one of my favorites, and unless you're sensitive to tomatoes it should be totally safe. Romesco sauces in restaurants are always olive oil based and almost nothing but fat - this is the only safe version I've ever had, and I just love it, so I put it in the book after all.

You should be okay to gradually increase your fat intake to 30% overall - that's a good number when you're stable. And almonds are a great source, especially finely ground. Try baking with finely ground nuts of any kind, or sprinkling them on pastas or even on top of soups. And increase just a wee bit the amount of canola and olive oil amounts you're cooking with - say an extra 1-2 teaspoons per recipe. Also, try fatty fish like salmon and tuna - great calorie sources, very filling, and still IBS safe.

Thank you for the vote of confidence for IBS-C. I have noticed that this takes a lot longer to resolve than IBS-D, and I think you're right on the money that the longer someone has had constipation, the longer it will take to get their gut back to normal. I've wondered if this is because folks with C are likely to have resorted to laxatives, stool softeners, and other artificial means that can disrupt their natural bowel function even more. But I think some of it is also just inherent to the IBS-C problem itself - it's a gradual process of resolution through diet and supplements instead of an instant success as with most of the IBS-D folks.

I'm so glad that you are doing better!!

xxoo
- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 299 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 983

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review