Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: need ideas for using tvp.please nt. new
      #24854 - 10/29/03 07:17 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Louise - if you do a search, a ton of stuff comes up, but here are two posts that I found that I thought were the best to help get you started: TVP? and TVP Recipes

Personally, I've only tried it so far in sloppy joes, which were pretty good by the way!

#24867 - 10/29/03 10:42 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

thanks mags; Heather suggests rehydrating it in water. What does that mean to rehydrate? It is sort of dry stuff, is it to moisten it somehow, or what exactly?

#24869 - 10/30/03 03:48 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Yup, that's exactly what it means. She also said you could use flavored liquid - I guess that means something like FF chicken brother or something. Like I said, I've only used it for sloppy joes so far.

Shell told me before that about 1 1/2 cups of TVP = 1 lb of ground meat. So, if you wanted to use TVP to replace 1 lb of ground meat in one of your recipes you already have, use 1 1/2 cups TVP & mix it with 1 1/2 cups water. I think you let it sit for a few minutes to soak all the liquid up. Then, just use it like you would regular ground meat.

Make sure the liquid is boiling, or at least very hot... new
      #24952 - 10/30/03 11:06 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it will rehydrate the tvp better. And any flavored liquid will do - broth, water plus lemon or lime juice, you can mix in soy sauce, tomato paste, herbs and spices, taco seasoning, etc. Just key the liquid to whatever kind of recipe you're using the tvp for. It can take about 15-20 minutes to totally reydrate, and it's best to cover it while it soaks and fluff it with a fork every 5 minutes or so.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 608 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1452

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review