All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
crystallized ginger and seeding cucumbers
      #22693 - 10/07/03 11:52 AM
CarinaK

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Texas

I saw the recipe for the pumpkin muffins in the newsletter this time. I'd really like to make them, but what is crystallized ginger? Where do I buy it? Can you tell I'm clueless in the kitchen?
Also, in Heather's books, she mentions that cucumbers are safer if peeled and seeded. How does one seed a cucumber? It seems to me that cucumbers are mostly seeds!
Thanks in advance for your forbearance.
Clueless in the kitchen,
CarinaK

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: crystallized ginger and seeding cucumbers new
      #22696 - 10/07/03 12:05 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi, and welcome! Crystallized ginger is really neat - it's whole thin slices of gingerroot that are dried until they're moist and chewy, then cooked in sugar syrup until they're crystallized. If you've ever had candied orange peel or glaceed apricots, it's basically the same thing, but made with ginger.

You can buy the ginger in bulk bins at health food markets, spice shops, baking supply shops, and some grocery stores. It sounds like more of a specialty item than it really is. Health food markets tend to have the cheapest prices. The ginger is pretty strong, so you don't need to buy large amounts. It's also good to chew on like candy, and this is really helpful for settling your stomach if you're nauseous.

To seed a cucumber, just peel it and cut it in half the long way, then take a teaspoon or melon baller and run it down the center of the cuke to scrape out the seeds. Very fast and easy!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: crystallized ginger and seeding cucumbers new
      #22712 - 10/07/03 01:08 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Yes, I can't wait to try those muffins too! The only thing I don't have it the crystallized ginger...

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Cucumber new
      #22723 - 10/07/03 03:10 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

You can also use English cucumbers. They are also known as seedless cucumbers. I think they have seeds, but they are very small. I haven't tried one yet, so I'm not sure.

Re: crystallized ginger new
      #22858 - 10/08/03 03:49 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I just found the crystallized ginger at safeway.... it was in the produce section with the other dried fruits...like to make fruit cake with. It came in a little 4oz tub like the pre made hummus comes in. It was only $2.29!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 508 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1430

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review