All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather: Reposting re: fresh prunes with 2 follow-up questions please
      #20417 - 09/11/03 08:26 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Fantastic news about the prunes being OK in a smoothie for C-IBSer like me!!! Are their skins OK too in the smoothie??? That'd be extra cool!

I'll give the powders a try too (for my getting "backed up" despite following your diet) as you suggested. In the past any psyllium product has given me problems. I know from your bks and this website that many others have this same experience, so I'll try Citracal if Metam causes problems again. I chose the pills b/c at Costco they had a much less expensive storebrand by Kirkland that's exactly the same thing as the name brand Fibercon. The pills were much less than the Citracal and I basically had ruled out Metam b/c of past experience.

However, Costco has a store brand ( Kirkland again) of Metam that's only about 1/3 the price of name brand, so I'll give Metam one last try. If it still causes me problems ( primarily gas and bloating) I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay the steep price for Citra. Is there a generic, and thus less expensive, version of Citracal?

Thanks also for your reply. I truly don't know HOW you have the time to get to it so many of us every day but I sure do appreciate it! You're amazing!

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather: Reposting re: fresh prunes with 2 follow-up questions please new
      #20420 - 09/11/03 08:38 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Since you're blending the prunes into a smoothie keeping the skins is fine. Actually, trying to take the skins off prunes sounds like a tough job. As long as they get finely blended you should be fine.

I don't know of a generic Citrucel. Walmart or Kmart or Target might make one, or perhaps another drug store. But I've never seen one.

I'm a few weeks away from offering organic acacia (gum arabic) on the website, which is a pure soluble fiber supplement that does not cause bloating or gas. It's comparable to Benefiber in taste/texture, but much less expensive. That might be an option for you if can't find generic Citrucel.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#20494 - 09/12/03 11:08 AM
lithelady

That sounds great about the organic acacia! I've never heard of it and don't recall reading about it in either of your books? If it doesn't cause gas or bloating AND it's organic and less expensive than Benefiber or Citracal, I'm so glad that you'll be offering it here. THANKS!!

--------------------

#20504 - 09/12/03 11:35 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I just learned about it. There are lots of soluble fibers in the world - gums, pectins, etc. - but the vast majority of them aren't actually packaged and sold as "fiber". Many of them are used in commercial food mixing as thickeners, binders, because they give body to foods, a smooth texture, that type of thing. I've been looking for a good soluble fiber to offer for a while, and this was by far the best one I found. The only organic one, too. The company that makes it is the largest gum arabic provider in the whole world, and they've got all sorts of research studies showing the benefits of the acacia. It increases the good flora in your gut in the same way acidophilus does, and it's got a "good gastro-intestinal tolerance" - which basically means they did clinical studies and found that it didn't give people bloating and gas. Always a nice benefit!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#20515 - 09/12/03 11:57 AM
lithelady

Wow, it sounds like the perfect soluble fiber! Amazing that it hasn't been marketed yet by some big corporation but then again I'm not surprised b/c it probably doesn't have enuf of a profit margin for them to bother. Hope I don't sound too cynical but......I AM about BIG BIZ!

PS: just so you don't think I'm brainless, the prunes are fresh so that's why I was wondering about the skins needing to be peeled or not, b/c they are almost the size of plums so it wouldn't be very hard to peel them but I'm still happy to know I don't have to do so!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1361 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1610

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review