All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather-Smokey BBQ Sauce
      #2017 - 03/06/03 09:58 AM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

I was hoping to make pizza tonight with your BBQ sauce from the cookbook, but didn't see any Chipote seasoning in Fred Meyer. I really want to make your BBQ sauce then use bottled, so if I can't find the seasoning, can I use something else in place of it?

Thank you,

Sheri

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather-Smokey BBQ Sauce new
      #2026 - 03/06/03 11:24 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - You could omit the chipotle, but that's the smoky part. If you have any Mexican or Hispanic markets around, they'll surely have whole chipotle peppers, which you can then grind yourself. Easier, if you have a health food market or spice shop that carries bulk spices, is they'll probably have the stuff already ground. You could also substitute smoked paprika if you see that.

If you can't find anything, try your grocery store for something called liquid smoke. That stuff has been around forever - it is literally just a liquid form of smoke, don't know how they even manage to bottle it. One bottle will last a lifetime. It's usually way up on a top dusty shelf with condiments somewhere - but every grocery store I've ever seen does carry the stuff. Add about 1/8 t to the recipe, and taste. A little goes a long way, so be careful...

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Hey, I forgot you're in Seattle... new
      #2027 - 03/06/03 11:27 AM
HeatherAdministrator

If you're in the U district, Whole Foods carries ground chipotle in their bulk spice section. I think PCC Markets or the health Market on Madison have it too, or Rainbow natural market on 15th in Capitol Hill. If you're near Pike Place, there is a Mexican grocery in one of the alleys and they have every kind of pepper you can imagine, including chipotle. I love that place!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Heather-Smokey BBQ Sauce-one more thing new
      #2032 - 03/06/03 11:53 AM
Peanut

Hello again. No, I live across the water in Port Orchard although it's only a ferry trip away. I will remember the next time I am over in Seattle to check out Pike Place. I am really excited to have every day access to Pike Place once I start school in Sept.

We have Tabasco brand Chipotle Sauce. Could I use 1/8 of a tsp for that instead of liquid smoke? I think just in case I will pick up some liquid smoke if we don't have any in the cabinet.

Looking forward to the support meeting in the up coming months.

Thank you again for your great help!

Sheri

--------------------

Re: Heather-Smokey BBQ Sauce-one more thing new
      #2033 - 03/06/03 12:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Oh, I forgot about the chipotle Tabasco. That might work really well - you'll probably need more than 1/8 t, but start with that and just keep tasting. Let me know how it comes out!

- Heather

--------------------

Re: Heather-Smokey BBQ Sauce new
      #2035 - 03/06/03 12:25 PM
Peanut

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. You know what it's like when you are excited to try a new recipe.

I will let you know tonight how it turned out.

Sheri

--------------------

Re: Heather-Smokey BBQ Sauce-Made it! new
      #2059 - 03/06/03 05:11 PM
Peanut

Hello again. Well I made a great pizza dough with my bread machine and then tried your BBQ sauce with the Chipolte Tabsco sauce. I thought it had great flavor and will definetly have it again, but I need to control myself with it since it was on the spicy side. That was the first time I had had BBQ sauce on my pizza which consisted of: cooked and cut up carrots, 1 veggie dog cut up into bits, 3 each frozen and cooked broccoli & cauliflower, which I shredded as much as possible, and just a tiny bit of soy mozzarella and soy parmesan which turned out good! Already looking forward to having the leftovers on Saturday.

Thanks for the great recipes, because so far all of the ones that I have tried have turned out brilliant!!

Sheri

--------------------

For Peanut- could I have bread machine pizza dough recipe?? new
      #16506 - 08/06/03 05:10 PM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

Hi! I noticed an old post where you mention making pizza dough with your bread machine-that sounds a whole lot easier to me than Heather's recipe. I'm just not that motivated, though it sounds good! Could you post your bread machine recipe? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! Linda

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Here it is new
      #16758 - 08/08/03 07:07 PM
Peanut

Here is the pizza dough recipe for you and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

1 cup whole wheat, oat, or barley flour (I use unbleached flour, somtimes for both cups and it works fine)
1 cup bread flour
3/4 cup skim milk or water (I use water)
1 1/4 tsp yeast
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp whole fennel seeds (Sometimes, I like to mix it up a bit and use crushed Italian seasoning instead)

Roll out and top with your favorite ingredients and then bake in oven 475 degrees for 10 minutes.

Let me know how you fair with this.

Sheri

--------------------

Re: Here it is-thanks, Sheri! I'll try it and let you know. (nt) new
      #16786 - 08/09/03 09:34 AM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 566 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3170

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review