All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New England Clam Chowder
      #18222 - 08/22/03 04:42 PM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

I made the chowder in Heather's IBS cookbook and just wanted to say how great it tasted! I did have to substitute some veggie broth (1 cup) for the clam juice and used the drained juice from the clams tins. I was a little worried with what it would taste like. I LOVED IT!!

Heather, once again, my hats off to you and your great recipes!! It has been years since I have had clam chowder and it felt great to make it and have total control of the ingredients.

Sheri

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thank you! I'll tell you a trick I found by accident... new
      #18231 - 08/22/03 05:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I was totally out of soy milk but half way into the recipe before I realized this. I had a packet of silken tofu, so I threw it in the blender with enough water ( a lot of water ) to make it the consistency of soy milk. I added that to the stock pot and had to cook it with all the other ingredients for a good hour or two, but eventually the beany flavor disappeared altogether and it tasted exactly like regular clam chowder. Odd but true.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Thank you! I'll tell you a trick I found by accident... new
      #18234 - 08/22/03 05:11 PM
Peanut

Hello. Don't you just love it when it works out like that? I know it sounded a bit weird when I explained my chowder this morning to my asst. manager (who was a chef, but got burnt out) that I used soy milk. He looked a bit digusted, but had to remind him that I don't have a choice since I am lactose intolerant.

I will remember the tofu if I am ever in a bind.

Sheri

--------------------

Heather-Wanted you to know new
      #18374 - 08/24/03 07:45 AM
Peanut

I just thought I would let you know that my grandma (my toughest food critic)loved the clam chowder! She is house sitting and couldn't figure out how to work their microwave type machine, so she ate it cold. I always love it when people love our IBS recipes and then when I tell what was in it, watching their face.

I am going to try the Maple Pie plain first and then the next time add the apples.

I will keep you posted,

Sheri

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 295 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1500

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review