All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I'm too young to die.
      #360094 - 08/02/10 08:26 PM
CovertCallie

Reged: 08/02/10

I'm a highschooler that can't seem to control ibs stress in school. It's come to the point where I've become anti-social because I never know what my stomach will do. I've come to want to do online school, but I don't want to be shut off from the world forever! The diet is hard for me to follow because my family doesn't like buying "special" ingredients and bready food isn't cutting it, but it's all I have. I'm stuck without a future and I'm tired of grinning and bearing it, as everyone asks me to do. Any advice?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm too young to die. new
      #360095 - 08/03/10 04:32 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

You have come to the right place .Lots of people have been and are where you are right now.
Know you aren't alone.
Have you been to the doctor ?
Are you struggling with D or C?
You don't really need to eat specialty foods,you can make do with what is in your cupboard.
For instance,to help get back on track,try potaoes,cooked carrots,fresh white bread,peas,pretzels as snacks,rice.
Do you find certain foods ok and others not?
Have you kept a journal?
Going through this really sucks,no doubt about it but you will find help here.
Ask some specific questions and see what you get.
Which ever family member you are closest with, you should bring them here and show them,it's not easy,lots of people deal with ibs .If might help if they knew it wasn't a madeup issue.
HTH a bit
Chris

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Would your family support you getting gut-directed hypnotherapy? new
      #360139 - 08/06/10 02:59 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

That is the best thing to break the cycle of stress/anxiety and IBS. You can see a therapist in person - there is a list by state here http://www.ibshypnosis.com/IBSclinicians.html or you can use an audio program at home - there is info and samples to listen to here http://www.helpforibs.com/shop/books/hypnoibs.asp

The at-home program also has an intro that is specifically meant for your family to listen to, so they can understand what IBS is and what it means for you to have to deal with it.

Some insurance plans cover hypnotherapy as well.

Hang in there...IBS is actually easier to deal with as an adult when you're on your own and in total control of your own life.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#360154 - 08/07/10 04:37 PM
CovertCallie

Reged: 08/02/10

Bread ends up being my crutch and I eat too much of it. I've figured out my diet pretty well with the help of Heather's books and website, but I'm still getting used to eating out.
The biggest fear is not knowing what will happen with my stomach when I go out. It can be anywhere doing almost anything with friends or family, but I'm always worried about having to use the bathroom or getting a bloated stomach ache. Papaya pills just doesn't cut it when I'm out. Sitting for a long period of time, like in a movie, can bring anxiety. A friend invited me to her birthday in Seattle for a play and dinner after, but I was afraid to sit through the whole play and bring my own food. I wish I was more confident about this.

#360206 - 08/10/10 06:00 AM
LindsayW

Reged: 08/06/10
Loc: Indiana

Hi there. I am new to the board but have already found really supportive people. Are you able to joke about it with your friends? I have been a long time IBS-D sufferer but was just now diagnosed this year. For years I didn't know what was wrong and I spent soooo much of my time in the bathroom (I'm finally getting that aspect in control). Are you able to joke about it with your friends? I used to get really anxious over it too but "joking" about it helped. The most embarrassing thing was when I would be out on a date and my stomach would flare and I would end up running to the bathroom and barely making it on time. But I would just try to joke about it and if the other people around me couldn't accept that was me, then I didn't hang out with them anymore.

#360842 - 09/08/10 12:19 PM
Kenny

Reged: 01/03/05
Loc: Valley Village, CA

Quote:

I'm a highschooler that can't seem to control ibs stress in school. It's come to the point where I've become anti-social because I never know what my stomach will do. I've come to want to do online school, but I don't want to be shut off from the world forever! The diet is hard for me to follow because my family doesn't like buying "special" ingredients and bready food isn't cutting it, but it's all I have. I'm stuck without a future and I'm tired of grinning and bearing it, as everyone asks me to do. Any advice?

Callie, I was there where you are about 19 years ago. I had so many absences from school, but luckily I was able to do my homework and be there for tests. My friends did kid around, but I knew they loved me. It got a bit much sometimes.

Back then, my doctors didn't really know too much about IBS, and I was ignorant. I didn't realize why I was on the toilet all the time. I mean, I was eating the same as all of my friends! "Well THERE'S your problem," I know now.

See what you can do with the food in your house, even if that means cooking for yourself separately. You can do it, and you should. Maybe make a list of the foods that are good for IBS and present it to your parents. They might have a change of heart when they see it's not "special" food at all. Do most of the work for them, so they don't have to.

--------------------

IBS-A: Gas, Bloating, Occasional Reflux, Panic Attacks

When the bathroom is rockin' don't bother knockin'!

#360953 - 09/15/10 07:18 AM
Ace1337

Reged: 09/15/10

IBS is not nearly as bad as Chron's for example so be happy. Do your research and you'll be able to manage your symptoms like I did. I'd say I'm 80% cured from IBS.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1138 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6526

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review