All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
Re: As my family would say... new
      #232954 - 12/20/05 05:15 PM
TommyNY

Reged: 04/29/04

HEYYY! That must be a Canuck thing! Tina uses that term all the time!!!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Shannon, some questions if I may new
      #233025 - 12/21/05 07:33 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

actually, i've seen it[PMing] as a secret way to lend support to someone who's suffering, in my Mom's bard for example. We've secretly sent flowers etc. to moms when they've had a loss through PMS. And yeah, gossip is inevitable, and that is life, but taht would happen through email anyhow. Pms help me actually feel MORE connected to the boards. i would not be as willing to email someone as I would to PM them. maybe the anonymity is nice for me, even though i use my actual picture and hometown....

Since you're actually using PMs on another Board, maybe you can help me understand them better. When y'all got together on your Mom's Board to send flowers, how did you know who to PM to go in on it? Or is there just a sort of "broadcast" PM so everyone hears about it?

If your Mom's Board is more technical (like the Diet Board here), do you find that people are using PMs to ask and get information that could be helpful on the Board or does that just pretty much not happen? If your Mom's Board is more like The Living Room here, is there a problem with people talking to each other via PM and leaving the Board less active than it might be? (I'm afraid I'm sounding accusatory and I don't mean to, but these are the problems I worry about with PM.)

Just out of sheer curiousity, how do y'all collect the money and find the address to send flowers?

I was struck by your comment that you would be more comfortable with PMing than with emailing because anonymity is important to you. I can understand that. I use a "fake" email in my profile just to weed out any wackos. If I'm going to send an email cold to someone from the Board, though, or if I get into an extended email exchange with someone from the Board, I switch over to my "real" email with my real name - it's seems not quite right to keep hiding under those circumstances. So, to me, my "fake" email is just like PM - it preserves my anonymity until I'm ready to let it go. I guess it's just a matter of different people drawing the anonymity line in slightly different places.

Thanks for your help in sorting this out.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Ruchie, you are a living doll!!!! XXXXXOOOOOO -nt- new
      #233068 - 12/21/05 10:07 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Thank YOU Heather! new
      #233085 - 12/21/05 11:03 AM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Ruchie, this is such a sweet post. I think a lot of us feel as you do and have been helped and inspired by you as well. -dan (sitting here reading while having a random and hopefully mild ibs attack!)

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Oh no Dan!!! new
      #233117 - 12/21/05 12:41 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I hope your mild attack goes away pronto!!

I hope we see in the LR more often!! You're voice is more than welcome here Let us know how you're feeling...and if we can do anything to help with that attack

Have a super day!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Oh no Dan!!! new
      #233201 - 12/21/05 06:47 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Well a nice nap took care of it - my wife was nice and let me keep napping after our daughter woke up from her nap. Thanks for the kind words- for the last year I've read almost every post here and in the eating and hypnosis boards too. I'm just a quieter member of the boards ! Anyway I feel fine now, thanks for your concern... Dan

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Re: Oh no Dan!!! new
      #233202 - 12/21/05 06:52 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I'm glad you're feeling better! Sounds like your wife is terrfic! It's ok to be quiet Just as long as you know that when you do speak up...you're voice is much appreciated here!

Take care,

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Sand, Some answers, if you will..... new
      #233223 - 12/21/05 08:52 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Hi sweetie. Here are my answers...
AS far as my moms board goes, it's become much more of a friendship than anything technical, and what the PM gets used for in that respect is lending a deeper amount of support to a specific mom, offering a phone number to call, or discussing how to help someone in need or help them see their behaviour is not OK. We exchange Christmas presents so we have addresses for everyone, and we've been together for three years now. That being said, the gift we put together once was a scrapbook, and the one person just had stuff sent to her address and compiled it and sent it on. Then again, we've had pie-in-the-sky ideas that never came to fruition too.

My mom's board is pretty slow as is, but PMs do not detract from the action on the boards. I prefer to click a PM for a person to doing all the work of emailing them, so it's more convenient for me.And if we need to do a surprise for a mom, we just PM the people we know would be most interested, and don't worry about the rest. PMing everyone on here would take FOREVER!!!

You said:

I was struck by your comment that you would be more comfortable with PMing than with emailing because anonymity is important to you. I can understand that. I use a "fake" email in my profile just to weed out any wackos. If I'm going to send an email cold to someone from the Board, though, or if I get into an extended email exchange with someone from the Board, I switch over to my "real" email with my real name - it's seems not quite right to keep hiding under those circumstances. So, to me, my "fake" email is just like PM - it preserves my anonymity until I'm ready to let it go. I guess it's just a matter of different people drawing the anonymity line in slightly different places.

My response is that yeah, I guess I don't mean anonymity as much as I mean....this is sort of a less real world for me, not as tangible, and I've met people I met on the Internet before and have had some very bizarre visits, so I guess I feel safer in the realm of PM, soryt of like there's still that safe distance. I don't care that anyone knows I'm Shannon Webb, but coming to actually meeting anyone still makes me nervous. I have attachment issues.....lots of therapy going on for that. I have had a hard time trusting, so PMing is like getting personal but still having the safety of the Internet to protect me. Stupid? I don't know. I've had stalkers before though.

I hope I was of some assistance. You guys are all very important to me, even though I like to keep it on this plane of existence.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Phew, another thing to cross off the therapy list!LOL! new
      #233224 - 12/21/05 08:54 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

We canucks are mouthy little brats.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Shannon - thanks and perfectly put new
      #233251 - 12/22/05 07:15 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Thanks for the info on how PMing works on your Mom's Board - I think I have a better feel for it now. I have to say that, always having been the "geek" in life and never the "clique", the possibility of that aspect still makes me nervous. On the other hand, a lot of what you're talking about doing sounds very kind, generous, and helpful. Lots to think about - I'm finding your posts are doing that to me lately. Hmmm.

Speaking of thinking, I thought this:

Quote:

My response is that yeah, I guess I don't mean anonymity as much as I mean....this is sort of a less real world for me, not as tangible, and I've met people I met on the Internet before and have had some very bizarre visits, so I guess I feel safer in the realm of PM, soryt of like there's still that safe distance. I don't care that anyone knows I'm Shannon Webb, but coming to actually meeting anyone still makes me nervous. I have attachment issues.....lots of therapy going on for that. I have had a hard time trusting, so PMing is like getting personal but still having the safety of the Internet to protect me. Stupid? I don't know. I've had stalkers before though.

I hope I was of some assistance. You guys are all very important to me, even though I like to keep it on this plane of existence.

was perfectly put. My Internet-specific email address still works for me in terms of connection combined with safety, but I can see how PMing would tie in better to that other plane for some people. Like I said, you're giving me stuff to think about.

Thanks again.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2570 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 31052

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review