All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Holiday Traditions.
      #127964 - 12/06/04 05:11 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

There a plenty of us who come from different religious backgrounds. It will be fun to read how we all celebrate the holdidays.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Holiday Traditions. new
      #127967 - 12/06/04 05:19 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

You know I don't think we have any!!! The only thing I can think of is everyone gets to open one present Christmas eve and it is New PJ'S!! Been doing that since I can remmber. Oh and I buy a dated ornament every year one for me and one for Kenna!! My mom did that with me to!!

I don't if those count as tradtions realy!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Chanukah... its a minor holiday.. but... new
      #127980 - 12/06/04 06:18 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

we always make sure to be together for candle lighting... and up till this year anyone at the house- jewish or not, child or adult... lit a hanukiah (tradition from my folks, but as our collection of hanukiot grows we can continue it!)... this year with the house on the market I'm not removing the curtain from the center window and putting a table there to light on with all the chanukiot, just getting down one for me to light....

we normally have tons fo dreidles- have them, may not get them out this year... and play all kinds of games.. we open fun gifts- not a huge gift thing, but we always try to have soemthing for each other at some point during the holiday- mostly gaggy stuff that the other will use.. and same from mom... and once a year we go to the havurah's party - pot luck dinner with tons of chanukiot nd lots of kids and fun for all...

As to Christmas (DH;s family does this...) we do a gift exchange with his mom, bro, sis and their families on one day- either new years day... or this year on 12/18.. just family dinner and gifts.. no religion... resolves the Jews, Christians and mormon's under one roof thing...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#127984 - 12/06/04 06:48 AM
XXXXX

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: South East Texas

I have bought a Christmas ornament for my children every Christmas. That way when they get married, their tree won't look all empty like ours did waaay back in 1986!

We also have a "Happy Birthday Jesus" cake every year.

This is the first year that our kids don't believe in Santa anymore which is kind of sad but I think we will still put out milk and cookies for Santa and carrots for the deer!

#128000 - 12/06/04 07:10 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

My family has sorta bizarre traditions- every Christmas Eve we go out and get Chinese food and then go to a movie. I guess a lot of Jewish families do this too- so I've heard from many friends who ask me if we're Jewish when I mention that (we're not, I don't think). Then Christmas morning we have two breakfast casseroles, both made safe for the vegetarian.

#128015 - 12/06/04 08:16 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Our xmas is on the 24th, when we open our pressies under the tree after dinner and a buche de noel (yule log). Then we put out our shoes the night before the 25th, and pere noel fills them up with sweets, trinkets, and cash in the morning. We have a family dinner at 1pm, then we relax and go out to see a movie around 7pm.

Epiphany is on the 6th of January and that's when we exchange more gifts and have a turkey and a special cake (a "gateau des rois" aka King Cake)with a trinket hidden inside of it. The one who gets the trinket (usually a baby or a fish) is the king or queen for a day.

~nelly~

Hmm.... new
      #128023 - 12/06/04 08:45 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I had a lot more "tradition" going on when I lived closer to my parents and spent every holiday with them. It started with always going to the same tree farm and picking out the family tree in October - yes, October! - then picking it up 2 weeks before xmas and decorating it, all of it a group activity. Christmas Eve was always spent with my father's side of the family - my great-aunt would throw a party and put out a HUGE spread of Lebanese food, yum. Then I'd go back to my mother's, where my stepfather would stick a glass of wine in my hand and "make" me wrap all the gifts he bought for my mother, because he claims he's spastic and can't wrap. (Gee, I have no idea who does the wrapping now!)

Christmas morning, of course, is all about tearing into the presents, usually with coffee/hot cocoa and cinnamon rolls. Then breakfast, usually ham and eggs and mimosas. Then the rest of the day is spent lounging around in pajamas.

This will be the second year in a row that I'm not going "home" for the holidays. Adam and I don't really have any traditions yet, beyond putting up the tree the day after Thanksgiving... but we will, eventually.

#128025 - 12/06/04 08:55 AM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

I did this for many years too- especially the decades when I was doing a church gig and usually had a 4pm and a 10pm or midnight service; went out for Chinese between services. I remember a few years ago was the first C'mas eve in about 25 years that I didn't have to do church; 4pm rolled around and I got confused. I didn't really know what people do on C'mas eve!
Another holiday tradition that I love is going with my school's madrigal singers (I'm a music teacher) to a retirement home for Franciscan nuns. We sing for them and then at the end the gals raise their hands and sing (in their tremulous 90-year old voices) a blessing to the kids. We try to tell the kids how moving it is; they always go "uh-huh, sure", and then sure enough, all of them have tears running down their faces when it happens. It's a very sweet holiday moment that I cherish every year.
"That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown."

#128056 - 12/06/04 10:22 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

When I was little at home still, I also got to open one present christmas eve also and it was also fuzy, warm PJ's!! I'm going to do this for my kid, hopefully by next christmas, I'll have a baby to start more traditions!!

Since I got married 5 years ago, we always travel 4 hours up north to my husbands parents. We usually arrive x-mas afternoon. We usually have some wine and catch up since we don't get to visit too often because its such a long drive. I'm not religious but I go to his families little country church on x-mas eve and sing songs. Christmas morning, Wills parents, two brothers and us get up and someone will play santa and pass out the presents. We sit in abig circle and drink coco or coffee and open the presents one at a time. Wills parents usually make a really nice meal for christmas afternoon and we just sit around and visit!

Will and I usually have our "christmas" the weekend before at our house and exchange our gifts. Later in the day we usually have our frinds over for a nice dinner to celebrate.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#128065 - 12/06/04 10:51 AM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

On Christmas Eve, we get in the car (except my brother since he's a spoil-sport) and go for a drive through the local neighborhoods looking at Christmas lights. We started doing this as a family a few years ago cause my mom wasn't feeling well and wanted to go to bed early so my dad had to get us out of the house so she could wrap all the presents. While my brother didn't really enjoy it, my dad and i did (we have very little in common and lots of issues) so we keep doing it just to spend some time together. The last few years, I've wrapped everybody's presents when we got home from this excursion (and by everyones' I mean my presents to my family, their presents to eachother, and their presents to me). It sort of takes the surprise out of Christmas morning (but since my mom wont buy anything unless I'm with her it really doesn't matter) and if I didn't do this, there wouldn't be any wrapped presents under the tree. Usually, by the end of the night I'm going senile from all the wrapping so I start making funny tags for the presents (To: Chris From: The Dust-Bunnies Under Your Bed). I must say, no one else appreciates my sense of humor .

Meg

#128069 - 12/06/04 10:58 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Well, no that us kids are older it is different...
Now, Christmas is kind of like thanksgiving #2 with presents. Christmas Eve we all open one present at my BF's house, than his mom makes the "Seven Fishes" dinner. Christmas day, it is ham dinner at BFs, and turkey dinner at my parents.
Living by myself, I did not get any presents under my little prelit tabletop tree last year.
I told BF that this year he should put my present under my tree. And he better stuff my stocking! I filled his with all kinds of goodies last year, and he forgot mine
He has been alot more of a caring guy this past year so I am sure he'll remember this time!

--------------------
-Sheri

#128091 - 12/06/04 12:23 PM
SLiCKsGiRL

Reged: 06/20/04
Loc: Western Washington

Heather! My mom did this for me too! She would get me new Christmas p.j's and wrap them up and say they were from Santa's Elves. Then she would always put them on the front porch or in the fireplace (unlit ) when I wasn't looking and say something like "I wonder who could be at the door" or "what is that over in the fireplace??" It was a lot of fun - I plan on doing it for my kids too!

My mom and I didn't have any set times for things, but we always used to bake and sing carols and go look at lights and visit friends and family. On Christmas day I would do presents with my mom and then go to my dads for the afternoon with my half-sis. Unless we were w/mom's family in Cali ...

--------------------
~*Amber*~

nelly new
      #128103 - 12/06/04 01:22 PM
Sheri01

I take it you are an immigrant nelly? Or from a family of recent immigrants?
Your version sounds so much cooler!
My BF and I are trying to make up our own holiday this year, I suggested we celebrate a version of yule, since iwould still get my tree!

--------------------
-Sheri

Heather! new
      #128115 - 12/06/04 02:09 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hiya!
We do the same thing - open a gift on Christmas Eve that is always PJs! I thought that was just a thing we did, how cool!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

We do Chinese Food on Chistmas Eve too!! -nt- new
      #128117 - 12/06/04 02:11 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: nelly new
      #128128 - 12/06/04 02:46 PM
Nelly

LOL! I'm totally American, but my mom is one of those from a long line of athiest roman catholics who stuck around because they liked the Latin!! She's from France so we (my brother and I) were raised on the fun traditions, but we never went to church or practiced a religeon or anything!

You'd never guess I had a French passport tucked away in my sock drawer next to my American one. Even my French cousins don't really believe I have American citizenship, as I don't speak French with an American accent... I'm one of those "sneeky europeans."

~nelly~

#128129 - 12/06/04 02:49 PM
Nelly

I appreciate your sense of humor, Meg!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course I've been known to decorate my xmas tree with mardi gras beads and toy handcufs...

~nelly~

chinese is def. a jewish tradition... new
      #128130 - 12/06/04 02:55 PM
khyricat

at least for christmas eve, but this year we're doing Indian and a few years we've done ethiopian (my havurah goes as a large group and the owner of the ethiopian restaurant is a member.. adn the indian place will stay open espoecially for us this year...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

funny tags.. new
      #128131 - 12/06/04 02:57 PM
khyricat

Bill's mom does that.. when all 3 kitties were still with us we got things from the m,m&m gang.. now its the M&M gang... and she does other things like that with the gifts at her place...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Our Christmas traditions new
      #128132 - 12/06/04 03:05 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

we have quite a few of them in our house...

Christmas Eve we panic like crazy as my Dad tries to finish the decorating he started the day before, while my Mum rants and raves about getting everything ready on time. THe young kids hang stockings and leave a carrot, some milk and a mince pie for Santa and then those kids who are old enough to go to the pub meet up with our cousins in the local pub, Then we have to be home by midnight so Santy can come!

Next morning we are not allowed to get up to see what Santy brought us until 7.30. We go downstairs and Dad has to be the first one to open the dining room door and he won't do this until every one of us is downstairs. Then we file into the dining room and go through our Christmas stockings. Santa still comes to all of us, even though we are 28,26,22,28,13 and 11. Then we fight over whose turn it is to shower and we go to 11 o clock mass. We meet the same families every Christmas day and when we were little we used to be allowed to bring one toy to Mass with us. We go to the crib after mass and light a candle. Next we drive to the next village after mass and visit my Dad's parents' grave and usually put a holly wreath on it. We used to always call in to Granny and Grandad after mass so this was the natural progression as we had them both for Christmas 1990 and neither for Christmas 1991.

When we get home from Mass we give each other presents in the sitting room. We all sit around a huge fire and the youngest gives their presents first to everyone in order of age. Usually Mam decides she needs a cup of tea and everyone goes crazy as she is holding up the whole show!

We have dinner (starter: corn on the cob, prawn cocktail or melon, main: turkey, ham, Mam's homemade stuffing, brussel sprouts, cauliflower with whitesauce and cheese,carrots and parsnips, mashed potato, potato croquettes, cranberry sauce dessert: pudding and brandy butter or pavlova

After dinner we play with whatever toys the kids got and sometimes go for a walk on the beach, then we laze for the rest of the day and usually watch a movie together about 6pm. After that we often play a board game, last year it was Trivial Pursuits, the longest game EVER!

On St Stephens Day (26th) we call to my Dad's brother's place 5 mins drive away around lunchtime and then head to my Gran's an hour's drive away. There we visit and swap presents with an unmarried aunt, and the aunt and cousins who live next door to Gran.

St Stephens night is the biggest night out over Christmas and usually all the locals will be around. The four of us who are old enough to go out usually go our separate ways but I always go out with my cousins Aileen and Aine.

That is pretty much my Christmas for the last 25 years or so! This year will be a little different as I am working Christmas Eve and my brother is going to collect me, usually I go home 23rd.

Padhraig and I are invited to the evening reception of a wedding near home on 27th so he will drive down the 5 hours to my place to come to that. I am working 30th and 31st (work is closed 25,26,27,28,29 and I work for a bank!)

OK, think that should do you! If anyone has any questions about an Irish Christmas just ask!

--------------------
S.

wow that is long! n/t new
      #128133 - 12/06/04 03:07 PM
cailin

--------------------
S.

Re: Our Christmas traditions new
      #128140 - 12/06/04 03:23 PM
heather7476

Loc: South East Michigan

Loved reading that!!!! It must be so nice to have so much family so close!! I envy you!!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: Our Christmas traditions new
      #128155 - 12/06/04 04:25 PM
cailin

We all live on top of each other, especially my Dad's family. Some of my cousins are like sisters to me!

Although during the week my brother and I live in Dublin, our parents live in Wexford, my other brother lives in Galway and my sister lives in Limerick.
its like this

GALWAY--------140Miles------->DUBLIN
! !
V ----------------- ---------------- V

65 miles ------------------------- 105 miles
V V
LIMERICK------95 miles------->HOME

My Dad has three brothers and a sister, we live in the village where he was born, two brothers live three miles away, his sister lives ten miles away and his other brother lives 35 miles away (he has a summer house in our village!)

Mam's family are a bit more spread out. The village we live in is an hour from Gran's (gran lives halfway between where i live and where my parents live) My aunt lives next door to Gran and my uncle two miles away from that. Another aunt lives in Dublin, about five miles from me (50 miles from Gran, 100 miles from my village at home) and the furthest away is my Mam's youngest sister, she lives in Mayo about five hours from home/four hours from Gran/three hours from me. Mam visits Gran every two weeks or so, depending on if she is working.

We have only had one Christmas where one of us was away, my brother was in Australia. We only have the eight of us for Christmas Day. When Granny and Grandad were alive we had them for Christmas Dinner once, but they used to call down for their tea about 6 o'clock

Really in the Christmas mood now!

--------------------
S.

#128163 - 12/06/04 05:00 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Technically I'm about to break some of ours. Normally we all go to my in laws house for dinner on christmas eve and open the family presents and have dinner. We drive round on the way home and look at christmas lights around Canberra and come home (and in keeping with my childhood) leave a carrot and some water for the reindeer and a letter, biscuit and a drink for santa (I left a beer one year when I was about 9 and we couldn't understand Santa's letter the next day. Seems Santa had a bit more beer than was in his glass!)Christmas morning the kids open their presents.Then on christmas day my parents and brother come over (we used to go there but with 8 of us in a 3 bedroom house it became a nightmare) we open my side of the family's gifts and eat roast pork, mangoes and mums creamy potato salad for lunch (this is the part I'm about to break) and spend the afternoon sitting round too stuffed to move! Oh and of course there's always the christmas pudding with custard (guess I'll have soy custard on mine this year!)

--------------------
Amy

Edited by doubletrouble (12/06/04 07:06 PM)

Re: Sinead-Your tradition............... new
      #128165 - 12/06/04 05:02 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I loved reading that too! It sounds just so fun and neat. I'm Irish but obviously do not celebrate in the official Irish way.
First can I say Corn on the Cob? I never heard of that for Christmas. Walk on the beach? Do you live near a beach? That's awesome. It's not warm in Ireland at Christmas is it?

Your brother is going to "collect you"? Does that mean pick you up? Oh my gosh I love, just love reading how you and "unhappy tummy" Steph talk. It is SO neat! I wish I could hear you actually speak.

Santy and mum. Loved that too. And when you say light a candle at the crib do you mean baby Jesus's manger? I'm sorry for so many questions but you said.....any quesions about an Irish Christmas just ask! I'm so interested in it.

6 people fighting for the shower Christmas morning? That must be interesting.

Thanks for sharing. I LOVED IT!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Nelly again! new
      #128219 - 12/06/04 08:36 PM
Sheri01

athiest Roman Catholic, that is too funny... describes alot of Catholics, sadly, but not all. I was raised Roman Catholic, so I am used to Christmas, but kinda found atheism and left hte church, but I am trying to not be hypocritical and celebrate the birth of Christ, if you know what I mean. I learned in school last year that Yule was orignially a pagan holiday where they brought in evergreens to ensure that plants would come back after the winter (origin of the Christmas tree)
I will have to ask my sis about your French customs, she was living in France for Christmas last year(she was studying for a semester there). She loves it there.
(No one please take offense to anything in this post! Just my beliefs!)

--------------------
-Sheri

#128264 - 12/07/04 05:34 AM
cailin

Quote:

First can I say Corn on the Cob? I never heard of that for Christmas. this may be a my family tradition as prawn cocktail and soup is traditional but my brothers didn't like prawns when they were kids so Mam got inventive

Walk on the beach? Do you live near a beach? That's awesome.
Yes, we live about 100m up a hill from the beach, our house overlooks the beach.

It's not warm in Ireland at Christmas is it?
No, its cold, but not too cold, hats and scarves weather but not thermal undies!

Your brother is going to "collect you"? Does that mean pick you up?
Yip

Oh my gosh I love, just love reading how you and "unhappy tummy" Steph talk. She's Canadian! And I americanise a lot of my speech on here, as do Linz, Natalie etc, for example we would never say "I guess" we'd say "I suppose" It is SO neat! I wish I could hear you actually speak.

Santy and mum. Santy is a very Irish thing, I call my mother "Mam" which is a very rural Irish way to do it. Small kids say "Mammy" but if I was saying "My mother" I's use Mum. The English Mum and Mummy are quite popular here too but the real Irish ways are Mam and Mammy

Loved that too. And when you say light a candle at the crib do you mean baby Jesus's manger? Yes, every church has a nativity scene with statues and its called the crib. There are holy candles beside ours that you light to offer a prayer for someone I'm sorry for so many questions but you said.....any quesions about an Irish Christmas just ask! I'm so interested in it. No problem Lisa, keep em coming!

--------------------
S.

I love close families!!! new
      #128283 - 12/07/04 06:50 AM
Natalie1985

Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Sinead my family is like yours too...though not quite as big....the irish are renowned for having big families I know...my best friend who has the house in achill has a massive one and theyre all so close too!

I love having a close family...they may do your head in sometimes but I wouldnt swap any of them for the world! All my cousins are like sisters and brothers to me too...Ive always seen more of them than most of my friends seem to do of their real brothers and sisters! We all live literally round the corner from each other...infact the furthest away is prob 10 mins in the car!

We go away with each other for 2 weeks every year aswell...this last summer was the 20th year in a row that Ive gone. We stay in a big old welsh farm house on the LLeyn Peninsula....there was 18 of us in there this year! Its my mums side we go with, me, mum, dad, my brother, sister, 3 cousins, nan, grandad, 4 aunties and uncles and this year my auntie and uncle from canada with their kids! Only one bathroom aswell...it was a bit of a nightmare....would drive most people crazy I know...but we all love each other so much that we get on...the only fights are over what we watch on tv!(we call my grandad the fat controller...cos it never leaves his hand!lol!)

The farm house is on a hill overlooking the bay too...which is gorgeous...its a really picturesque area. My mums been going for 41 years now....they used to go with their cousins and bring their boyfriends etc...mums hoping we'll all do the same!

This year we're having xmas on my dads side and boxing day with my mums....I can't wait cos I havent been home from uni for 5 weeks now...so Im missing them loads!! I break up a week today...wahoooooo

--------------------
Natalie

Edited by Natalie1985 (12/07/04 06:52 AM)

Re: Chanukah... its not a minor holiday in our house... new
      #128327 - 12/07/04 08:59 AM
Casper

Reged: 10/16/04
Loc: Memphis, TN

In our house it has become a big deal as far as celebration is concerned, but we do't go crazy with the gift giving. (Most of the gifts for the kids come from grnadparents aunts and ucles. This year we did pick up some nice things for them in Israel though.)
I make Lakes form scratch ONLY ONCE on the first night. Anyone wanting latkes after that can eat the frozen kind. I also make dreidle sugar cookies and buy jelly dognuts for the kids (who normaly hate jelly doghnuts but for some reason must have one on Chanukah.) We have quite an exstensive handmade menorah collection (my oldest is in sixth grade and she's made one every year since Kindergarten and I have two other kids as well....) Everyone picks which one they want to use and uses it.
Last year we started a new tradtion in our new house. We sent the kids on a treasure hunt to find thier gifts. They love that more than they love the actual presents and this year my kids saved up thier allowance and bought gifts for eachother (which I thought was cool because it wwas totaly thier idea, thier money, I just supplied the transportation to the store.)
And then there's the parties. The school has one, the synagogue has one the family has one and by the end of the week I am all partied out but we love it.
The thing that realy overwhelms me though is teacher gifts. My kids have 20 teachers between them and Oh My gosh shopping for this can be a nightmare. I'm always afraid I'll forget someone. This year I got insulated travel coffee cups and filled them up with an assortment of tea bags and chocolates. I felt this HUGE relief when I handed them out today. Like a huge monekey off my back. I normally like giving out gifts but I find this to be quite a chore.
Wow I've rambled on quite a bit haven't I. Sorry Have a Happy holiday whatever you celebrate.
Chany

Re: Holiday Traditions. Question for BarbS new
      #128330 - 12/07/04 09:04 AM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Barb,

I was looking at the birthday list and noticed that we have the same. Can I ask what year you were born? Thought that might be the same too because I have a son that is about the same age as yours. For me 9/25/67, 9:29pm. Just thought it would be fun to find out!

lj

#128500 - 12/07/04 04:30 PM
LittleLisa

Thanks for sharing with me of your traditions! I'm so glad you don't mind. Just like you want to see us "american's and how we decorate" outside,(BTW I'm working on gettin a pic of our house decorations outside for ya!),I like to hear all about what you do and say in Ireland.
My sister visited Ireland a few years back and loved it. She brought back a lot of nice things. She got each of my boys an official rugby shirt, me a 14K gold Calada(?sp)ring for my pinky and a wool sweater. Oh she actually bought my nephew's christening outfit from a magazine called "Creative Irish Gifts". The poor child looked like the pope! You'd die if you saw it.

We have candles at our church that you can light every day if you wanted to to say a prayer for someone. You go to a Catholic church right? When I was younger, we attended Midnight mass on Christmas Eve. Do you have that tradition?

Does it snow in Ireland ever? Have you lived in Ireland all your life? Sorry if I sound nosey but I just find it so neat that I can converse with someone half around the world in such a beautiful and wonderful place and do it for free with no phone bill (ha ha).

Ok, now getting back to the outside decorations picture for you, I have joined photobucket and figured out how to get pics in the albulm with them, however, I have no clue how to transfer those pics to this site and a post. Could you help me out a bit? Step by step cause I am so computer illiterate when it comes to photos!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#128511 - 12/07/04 05:05 PM
cailin

Quote:

We have candles at our church that you can light every day if you wanted to to say a prayer for someone. You go to a Catholic church right? Yes, our candles happen to be beside the crib at Christmas When I was younger, we attended Midnight mass on Christmas Eve. Do you have that tradition? Yes, although we don't all go Christmas Eve as we are doing last minute prep. Also our "midnight mass" has changed to 9pm in my parish!

Does it snow in Ireland ever? Yes, some parts get snow every year, we get a heavy snowfall every four or five of years but we haven't had a school snow day for a long time! We get slushy snow sometimes, and if it snows its usually mid January. We have a moderate climate and cannot cope with extreme heat or extreme cold or extreme wet here, the country closes down! Have you lived in Ireland all your life? Pretty much. My parents rented a house in the village where I am from (Duncannon in County Wexford) when I was born and bought our current house when I was 8 months old. I lived there full time til 1993 when I went to college, I spent 5 years in Limerick in college and have lived in Dublin for 6 years. During college I lived in Paris for eight months and New York for three months, but home has always been Duncannon Sorry if I sound nosey but I just find it so neat that I can converse with someone half around the world in such a beautiful and wonderful place and do it for free with no phone bill (ha ha). like I said before, no problem at all

Ok, now getting back to the outside decorations picture for you, I have joined photobucket and figured out how to get pics in the albulm with them, however, I have no clue how to transfer those pics to this site and a post. Could you help me out a bit? Step by step cause I am so computer illiterate when it comes to photos! Its easy!
See the blue writing that says URL on the photobucket page under the pic you want- cut and paste this.
Then start a boards message, when you want to insert the pic click the "image" button under Instant UBB Code. A pop up box will appear. Paste the address in here. That's it! Any further questions just ask!

--------------------
S.

Re: Sinead-Thanks it worked!!!!! new
      #128534 - 12/07/04 06:04 PM
LittleLisa

Let's try this pic... Yeah it worked it worked!!! Sorry so big!!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Edited by LittleLis (12/07/04 06:28 PM)

Re: Sinead-Thanks it worked!!!!! new
      #128748 - 12/08/04 01:11 PM
Nelly

OMG, Lisa-- Are you a Redskins fan????????

~nelly~

Lis new
      #128796 - 12/08/04 02:39 PM
cailin

love the "I believe in Santa" on the fireplace, and also the big Santa on the left.
Your boys are so cute, how old are they?

--------------------
S.

Re:Nelly...why yes I am! new
      #128932 - 12/08/04 04:37 PM
LittleLisa

Doesn't go over well in our household but I can handle all these hostile Eagles fans! One reason I can't stand the Eagles. The fans are absolutely horrible!!!!! You can not even take children to the games because the fans are so horrible.

I became a fan about 10 years ago or so. My good friend moved to VA and I visited a couple times and just kinda jumped on their ban wagon since I never liked the Eagle's!

Eagle's VS Redskins this sunday!!!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Lis new
      #128936 - 12/08/04 04:43 PM
LittleLisa

Sinead, that is my favorite decoration too! "I believe in Santa". My mom made both for me. The big Santa out of wood and the blocks. She's very crafty!

That picture is actually from last year but I decorate my fireplace the same pretty much every year. My hubby took our digital on a business trip yesterday so I can't take current pics of our outside and inside till he returns! I'm SO SO excited that I can use the photobucket now. Thanks a bunch for the instructions!!!!

My boys, Kyle is 10 and Ryan is 6. Even have a boy dog, golden retriever who's name is Reilly. Finally got another female in the house, "cupcake" who is our new kitten.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

So do we!! -nt- new
      #128959 - 12/08/04 06:37 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#128961 - 12/08/04 06:56 PM
BJake66

Reged: 10/17/04
Loc: PA

At our house we celebrate Hanukkah. Bruce and I shop for the girls - Gabriella (7) & Shayna(5). We light the Menorah and say the blessings. I usually make one night of latkes (couldn't yesterday - still was in and out of bed with this attack - arrrhhh). Tonight though I made zuchinni latkes for Bruce. He loved it. Bought the girls jelly munchkins at Dunkin Dohnuts. How's that for eating something with jelly!! After dinner (or sometime after school - lol) the girls open another present. Before the week is through I want to play a driedel game with our family. I also want to bake some cookies as I bought some stars and driedel cookie cutters at the Temple Judaica shop. If only my body/stomach will allow!! Friday night my daughters second grade Hebrew class is doing a special part of the service for Hanukkah. And, this Sunday we will go to a Hanukkah dinner at the Schule. We exchange presents with some relatives. For Christmas Eve. we go to our best friends parents house (now retired minister - they live in Vermont). We exchange presents with them and spend time with them. What ever holiday you all celebrate may it be happy and healthy.

--------------------
Lisa

IBS-C, pain predominant

Lisa, Eagles fans, horrible???? new
      #128983 - 12/08/04 08:10 PM
Sheri01

Hmmm.... just because we boo everyone that is not with us doesn't mean we're nasty! you are ok if you try to blend at the Linc! Things are alot nicer now that we have the new stadium, I never went to an Eagles game at the Vet, but I heard the stories. Some people get carried away, but it is all in good fun. The heckling is the best part of going to the games! The thing to do if you see someone wearing garb from another team is to exaggeratedly (is that a word?) point at them and chant "A****LE......A****LE..." until they are out of site. No one gets it worst than Cowboys fans though! They are really hated.
My dad has season tickets, and they are very good seats, section 135, so I have been to alot of games this year.
Since I am from South Jersey, I am real close to the city, and a fan of all philly teams!
Eagles are going all the way this year, I just know it! They can't keep teasing us, it'll happen!

--------------------
-Sheri

Eagles might go to the Super Bowl this year. new
      #128984 - 12/08/04 08:13 PM
Lefty1

Philly is a tough market for fans and players. Like Boston.

Re: Eagles might go to the Super Bowl this year. new
      #129040 - 12/09/04 05:16 AM
LittleLisa

God help me if they do!!!!!!!!! I know I should be routing for the team of the city that I live in, however, there is no law saying you have to like them is there????? My husband says to at least like the Steelers cause they are a Pennsylvania team but in all honesty, I like the Redskins! I'm tired of hearing about how the Eagles will go to the Superbowl EVERY year for the last 4 years and then they screw it up! Pretty much like every Philly team for that matter! Maybe they will go to the Superbowl but I highly doubt they will win!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Lisa, Eagles fans, horrible???? new
      #129045 - 12/09/04 05:29 AM
LittleLisa

Sheri, Sheri, Sheri.......It is all in fun, I agree and believe me I take the heat but really, I can handle it. I think it helps that I'm a girl too. They don't seem to be quite as "horrible" to me. I ask for it though. Like last Eagle's vs Redskins game I wore my Jersey and my boys wore their T.O. jersey grocery shopping. We got 6 comments from both men and women. All in fun comments, nothing bad but it's so funny the controvery it causes!

I've been told that if I wore my Jersey to an Eagle's game that I'd be seriously in trouble. It shouldn't be that way. There isn't a law to say that you HAVE to like the team in the state that you reside so why should anyone care right?

I'm surrounded by fans. My dad, HUGE Eagle fan and always was. I can't actually remember when I started straying from being an Eagle's fan. I can say though that I really hated when Randall Cunningham was quarterback. He carried that team and I kept saying how it's not right that the quarterback make all the touchdowns! I did admit though the other day to a fan that I have grown to like Donovan. He's an excellent quarterback who has not let himself get too cocky and has stayed pretty much grounded. I do like that about him and he's the star right now!

My team is not doing the best this year and they were expected to so it is disappointing, however, at the end of the seaon I will still like my team and route for them next year. Unlike SOME Eagle's fans that I heard last year actually say they were tired of the Eagle's letting them down and were picking a new team! Of course, they are back routing for them again this year but still...........can't turn on your team no matter how bad they do!

I'm sure we'll be talking come January!!!!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re:Nelly...why yes I am! new
      #129080 - 12/09/04 07:18 AM
Nelly

Hey LittleLis! That is so cool that you're a redskins fan! I think redskins fans are the BEST fans in football, for the simple fact they have good manners for fans and a good sense of humor!!! OMG, the Hoggettes?? Those guys are the BEST!! And they really put the fun back into sports. I mean why do people argue over football anyway? It's not like we live in a village and it's the village's best against that other village's best. Redskins players are from Tulane and Penn State. Why can't the fans be as well?

You go girl!

~nelly~

Re: Holiday Traditions. Question for BarbS new
      #129357 - 12/09/04 07:12 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Hi LJ,
Yes we have the exact birthday, except my twin sister and I were born an hour before you.

#129368 - 12/09/04 07:51 PM
stevensa

Reged: 09/12/04
Loc: Texas

I agree with your husband, go Steelers!!! (Coming from a die-hard Steelers fan transplanted in Cowboys territory)
Here's to a PA Super Bowl in January!

#129454 - 12/10/04 07:34 AM
LittleLisa

To be honest with you, If it comes down to the Steelers or the Eagle's at the superbowl (that can happen this year right?) I will be saying GO STEELERS just because I'm so ANTI-Eagles! I'm so bad.....can't help it!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4101 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9106

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review