Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Fiber Supplements
      #9919 - 05/25/03 05:54 PM
Teg

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi Everyone
I have a question about Fiber supplements. I have started taking Metamucil (the wafers) and take one packet a day, I was wondering what is the recommended dose for IBS? Also what is the best time of day to take it???? I find that it causes gas and bloating sometimes, it is not intolerable though, and the benefits of taking it definitely outweigh the problems, I just thought that maybe I am not taking enough or maybe I am not taking it at ideal times. Also should you take your supplements at the same time every day or does that matter??
Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
T

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fiber Supplements new
      #9965 - 05/26/03 08:57 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I've never tried the wafers, so I'm not sure how much a dose a packet is. Can you use this info web page to try to figure it out? Or maybe someone else uses wafers that can help you?

Some people like taking their supplement before meals, while I've read some like it after. Also, I've seen if you take certain meds that they are not as absorbed into the body if taken with fiber.

#9984 - 05/26/03 01:43 PM
Teg

Thanks Mags for the info, I am still not sure how many of these wafer packets (Metamucil) I should be taking a day. Are you supposed to take a supplement with every meal??
T

#9989 - 05/26/03 03:28 PM
*Melissa*

OK...I got this info from the Metamucil website:

Product Dosages:
Smooth Texture Orange......................... 1 tablespoon
Original Texture Orange......................... 1 tablespoon

Smooth Texture Sugar-Free Orange........... 1 teaspoon
Smooth Texture Sugar-Free Regular.......... 1 teaspoon
Original Texture Regular................................ 1 teaspoon

Apple Crisp Fiber Wafers.............................. 2 wafers
Cinnamon Spice Fiber Wafers..................... 2 wafers

New Capsules................... 5 capsules when used as a fiber laxative
2-6 capsules when used as a fiber supplement
6 capsules when used for cholesterol reduction

Judging from this (BTW: I've never used Metamucil, so any Metamucil users out there, please feel free to help here! ), I would guess that most would use "Original Texture Regular"? So, going by web page to go up to 2 T. twice per day, I would guess that eventually you would be at 12 wafers a day? I don't know...that sounds like a whole lotta wafers!

Does anyone else have any advice here?

I don't think you have to take it with every meal. I take Citracel or Benefiber 2 T. in the am and 2 T. in the pm., before breakfast & before dinner.

#9999 - 05/26/03 05:18 PM
Teg

Hi Mags,
Again thank you so much for tryig to help me figure this out.
I have a question though : If you are supposed to work up to 2T which would be like 2 packets or 4 wafers, and you are supposed to take it twice a day wouldn't that be 8 wafers not 12 (still seems like a lot to me). Or did I read something wrong?
Maybe I should just try the powder, although the thought of drinking it makes me gag, the wafers are so much easier.
Thanks again
T

#10000 - 05/26/03 05:29 PM
shelly6686

Reged: 04/03/03
Loc: south carolina

I dont know about the wafers but I take 6 of the new capsules each day. I tried the wafers but did not like them.
Shelly

Re: Fiber Supplements--Heather, please help! new
      #10008 - 05/26/03 06:06 PM
*Melissa*

No problem! I love a challenge!

Here's how I got the 12...1 tsp. of Original Texture Regular = 1 dose, and 2 wafers = 1 dose, and I know there are 3 tsp in 1 T, so that would be 6 wafers, etc. Like I said before, I'm not really sure. We need Heather for this one.

Don't go to the powder just yet. I know you're in Canada, and you've got to work with what you got, because unfortunately you don't have as much selection up there, so let's see if we can figure out the wafers.

Re: Fiber Supplements--Heather, please help! new
      #10101 - 05/27/03 09:31 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Mags - I think your math is right on, and 12 wafers would be the equivalent of a 2T powder dose. Wow, that's a lot of wafers to eat!

Try having two wafers before each meal, and that will give you six per day. Then snack on them two at a time in between meals, and before bed. That'll be 12 for the day, which is actually still half the dose of what you could take for the powders (2 T twice daily). But - this is still all dependent on the "dose" quantity given by the Metamucil site, which doesn't specify if they mean a 1 t or 1 T dose, as it varies with their different powder formulations.

Try the 12 each day and see how you do. Do they have a maximum amount of wafers per day on the side of the box?

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#10103 - 05/27/03 10:12 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

hI Mags; When you take your fiber what do your meals consist of,ie; do you have a lot of fibre with it . I have found thst sometimes when I eat my bread at mealtimes , a supplement seems to be to much.

#10111 - 05/28/03 03:47 AM
*Melissa*

Hi Louise! I eat fiber at every meal/snack. In the am I drink Citracel when I first wake up, work out, then eat breakfast which is typically a small bowl of cereal (prob 1/2-1 c cereal or so--I just pour it in the bowl till it looks good). Lately, I've been having it with a few diced strawberries on top. Then, around 9 am or so, I have a banana, then around 10 am a snack of either grahams, muffin, or a slice of one of Heather's bread. I don't take my supplement again until around 5:30 when I get home from work while I'm preparing dinner. I usually have rice, pasta, or French bread with dinner for my fiber. An example of a typical dinner for me would be chicken breast, rice, & beets. I guess I just kind of count my supplement as part of the meal, because I don't really eat big meals? I tend to just graze throughout the day.

Hope this answers your question!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1543 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2960

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review