All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: I need someones help new
      #10144 - 05/28/03 01:23 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Jessica - I agree with the suggestions you're getting from posters - it really does sound like you've got something going other than (or in addition to) IBS, such as celiac or a food allergy (to wheat, corn, etc.).

Try to get your soluble fiber from rice and the supplements for a while. Rice is a very unlikely allergen (though it can be - it's just rare) and it will get you the soluble fiber you'd need for IBS. Check for posts on the board about celiac and gluten-free diets - there have been a lot to Ruchie, as she's dealing with this. And definitely go back to your doc and ask about tests for gluten intolerance and food allergies.

Try drinking strong hot fennel tea in the meantime - it will help with the bloating and gassiness.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#10151 - 05/28/03 01:55 PM
Joanna

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta

Hi!

I'm brand new to this forum and don't know anything yet, except what I've been able to figure out in the last ten years with TONS of trial and error! I've ordered Heather's book and am looking forward to reading it -- I can add it to my library, which must contain at least fifteen others on diet -- everything ranging from Eat Right 4 Your Type to the Zone to the Hays diet to Gluten free cookbooks to Dr. Atkins latest.

There are some things I've noticed cruising this board:

1. My problem is not as serious as a lot of people here, and for that I'm grateful and sympathetic (although it seems to be getting worse, which is what led me here).

2. A LOT of people seem still to have a problem with bloating and gas, even though they're following the diet. The only thing I'm absolutely SURE of with all the trial and error I've been through is that I really can't handle wheat, or any of its relatives. I don't have celiac disease or divertiulosis, or Crohn's -- I've had all the tests, but I know for sure that as soon as I start eating wheat I start having real problems. And if I keep on eating it I get pretty miserable.

I know I can't really offer advice at this stage, but I would say that if you're doing everything right and you are still miserable and bloated, stop eating all wheat products for a week or so and see what happens. Can't hurt.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot here, and hope that I can finally sort myself out!

Joanna

Welcome to the board! new
      #10152 - 05/28/03 03:01 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hope you're feeling better soon and that you find good info here. You're right, bloating and gas do seem to be the toughest symptoms to address. If you haven't yet, try drinking strong hot fennel tea throughout the day - it's one of the very best things for bloating.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#10153 - 05/28/03 04:30 PM
joylyn44

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Ohio

Joanna,

Welcome! We sound so much alike. I cannot tolerate any wheat products either. I've also had all kinds of tests run and they found nothing, so they said it was IBS. I've suffered with it for years, but didn't know that was what I had. The doctors I went to years again said it was a nervous stomach, but I know now after reading Heather's books and reading posts on the IBS message board, it's been IBS all along. You'll learn lots from her books and from everyone on the boards.

Good luck
Joy

#10185 - 05/28/03 08:05 PM

Unregistered

Jessica, I feel exactly the same way - your not the only one out there. Hang in!! I know how hard it is - I myself strictly follow my diet, but yet D always seems to find its way in and I never know why! I also know how especially hard it is to be young (I'm 22) and have IBS - none of my friends really understand and it is extremely embarrasing - as I'm sure it is at any age. I agree with everyone else about the exercise and yoga - I'm about to try it myself. Might as well give it a shot, right?! Try not to stress too much about it - I know easier said than done - I want to gouge peoples eyes out when they say that, and you know they are always the ones who don't have IBS and have no problems!! I hope you feel better soon! Hang in there! : )

Shauna

#10330 - 05/31/03 05:27 AM
joylyn44

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Ohio

Kris,

I ordered sublingual B12 vitamins, but haven't tried them yet as I have been on anitbiotics for a step infection and since the antibiotics usually hurt my stomach, I've been afraid to try the B12 since I didn't know what they would do to my stomach. I do feel better knowing that you like them and they haven't hurt you so far. Do you have more energy? Have you been sick at your stomach at all since taking them? How much do you take each day? I know you said a high dosage, but just wondering how much that is? Thanks for any info you can give me.

Hope you're having a good day,
Joy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2382 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3388

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review