All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather's diet
      #9644 - 05/21/03 10:42 PM
kcj44

Reged: 03/23/03
Loc: Elk Grove, CA

I read about a lot of you following Heather's diet. Where is this diet? Is it in one of the books? I have the Eating for IBS book. Truefully I haven't read the whole thing, as I just haven't had the free time.

Thanks, Karen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather's diet new
      #9645 - 05/21/03 11:07 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

The basic principles of the diet are in Eating For Ibs, and a bit more detailed I think in The First Year. It's just the dietary guidelines that Heather recommends, rather than a 'set in stone' diet plan.
I must admit, at first I was treating the plan as a diet rather than a healthy way of eating that didn't trigger off my stomach, but a lot of the advice falls within healthy eating guidelines anyway, eg low fat, cutting down on red meat.
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#9696 - 05/22/03 01:27 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Karen - Yes, it's the dietary guidelines in Eating for IBS. There's summary dietary info in the First Year IBS too but more details in Eating for IBS. The info is also excerpted on the websites. In a nutshell, it's the low fat, high soluble fiber, careful with insoluble fiber, avoid trigger foods rules. The details are at web page

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9851 - 05/23/03 10:13 PM
kcj44

Reged: 03/23/03
Loc: Elk Grove, CA

Thank you! I thought this was what everyone was talking about, but wasn't sure. I have read through this part. I still get a little confussed about the insoluble and soluble fiber, but I'm learning.

Karen

Soluble vs. insoluble fiber... new
      #9853 - 05/23/03 10:33 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Everyone's confused at first! But it's not so tricky, really.

Most all grains, cereals, legumes, and tubers have an outer insoluble fiber layer, and a soluble fiber interior (and the same is true for some fruits and vegetables, such as apples and zucchini). It's very easy to actually see this with your own eyes. If you take a cooked grain of brown rice, wheat berry, kernel of corn, potato, or bean you can separate the tough exterior (the bran, skin, or shell) from the creamy interior. When the bran is removed from wheat berries and they're milled the result is white flour; when the bran is removed from brown rice the result is white rice. There aren't many similar common commercial processes that remove the insoluble fiber exterior from legumes, fruits, or vegetables, but finely blending, pureeing, or peeling these whole foods will greatly minimize their trigger risk.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 450 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 639

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review