All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Snacks and quick foods list
      #95744 - 08/05/04 06:48 AM
Ibsed

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Switzerland

This list is great if you live in the states but not so good for the rest of us.Only a few of the items are known to me.Aren't there any more international products?(I mean things produced by the - dare I pronounce it - Multinationals,like Nestlé,Kellog's etc?)

--------------------
C. with bloating,getting steadily worse over about 14 years.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Snacks and quick foods list new
      #95756 - 08/05/04 08:07 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I'm the one who compiled the list in the first place. I did the best I could. They were suggestions volunteered by memebers of this board. I tried to include brand names to help folks. If you can't find a particular brand name, I suggest you take the general idea from the list and do the best you can.
IE I recommended Motts Fruitsations Applesauce cups. So try to find a brand of applesauce cups in your area.
Hope this helps.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#95831 - 08/05/04 11:52 AM
Ibsed

Well,not really."applesauce cups" is a phrase that means nothing to me.Also,many of the names on the list ,as I don't know what they are,are difficult to find eqivalents of.They are obviously well-known to people in the US but,be aware,to people outside,they are just names.
It's like "Digestive Biscuits" in the UK - a person in France wouldn't necessarily have any idea what that was.It's a huge thing in Britain,but a person on the Continent might well think it's some kind of health food(it isn't ! )

--------------------

#95889 - 08/05/04 03:07 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Well, the list you see was graciously generated by someone who took her personal time to do it as a favor. And we are very thankful that she did so.

My suggestion would be that you could either a) google the item and find a picture or b) help us out and make a list for England. To be honest, there are quite a few people from other countries on the board and they've never mentioned having a problem with the list before.

Re: Thanks for the support, Chinagrl! -nt- new
      #95894 - 08/05/04 03:54 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

--------------------

#95981 - 08/06/04 05:45 AM
Ibsed

Yes,I do realise this person was very kind to do what they did.I'm not knocking it.
As for stuff from England,that's not the point.I don't live in the UK.That's why I suggested international brands.Maybe other people do find the list a problem in other countries but they just never said so!Or maybe there aren't a lot of users abroad?
I wish I had the time to prepare a list as you suggest,but as a teacher and with a very sick partner (plus my own health not so good) time is rather limited.
Anyway,I don't think my question is really going to get anywhere,so I think I'll drop it.

--------------------

Suggestions new
      #95990 - 08/06/04 06:39 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I know you said you were going to drop it, but I'm going to make suggestions anyway.

The snack foods on the list are mostly commercially-prepared soluble fiber foods. Have you read the IBS diet guidelines, including the information on soluble fiber foods and trigger foods to avoid? If you haven't, do. Once you understand the diet, choosing safe snack foods is a matter of reading labels and exercising a little common sense. Most of us do that instinctively, rather than relying on someone to hand us a list, which is why - I'm sure - this has never come up until now, even though we DO have a good number of international users here.

Good luck!

Re: Thanks Atomic Rose! I agree totally .... new
      #96037 - 08/06/04 09:38 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

It was not my intent to exclude anyone when I compiled THE LIST. It was only meant as a guideline for folks to get some ideas going. It was compiled by a broad base of members on this board, and they were not just American. I am personally Canadian, and can't access all that is available in the US. Still, I found the suggestions others made to be on the most part helpful.
The only reason this list was created because it was a common question posted on the boards which was basically asking for quick, safe foods. My intent was to help, not offend.

I would be happy to add any suggestions anyone has onto the list. Just e-mail me at hansolo890@hotmail.com
I hope that answers your question.

--------------------

IBSers UNITE! new
      #96062 - 08/06/04 11:24 AM

Unregistered

maybe some of our friends overseas can do some research on their own to compile the "european snacks list". I know it would be very helpful for all of us travelers out there.

Just an idea.
Dina

#96070 - 08/06/04 11:38 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Just wanted to say welcome. Sorry to hear about your partner's ill health. I myself am ill and I know how much strain that puts on my partner.

We've had a few international members over the months but I haven't seen them post lately. There was someone from Mexico and someone from Japan. I've been trying to think of Nestle and Kellogs products that come to mind but all I can think of are Rice Krispie treats and I bet you don't have them ready made there like we do. Do they sell granola bars or breakfast bars where you are? That's my all time favorite easiest snack. I never leave home without one.

Anyway, hope you keep coming back. There's lots of help and support available here and goodness knows we all need all the help we can get!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#96088 - 08/06/04 12:10 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I live in the US and don't really even try to buy the brand name snacks on the list. I haven't put the effort in. I do eat a PB wrap for lunch along with a Luna bar (and I am glad to have those) but I don't buy the other brands of stuff so much. So please don't feel too left out. I also snack on FF pretzels, baby carrots, bananas, red licorice and even junior mints/peppermint pattties since they don't bother me. If you look around you will find things you can have but it isn't easy for any of us. Getting away from processed wrapped foods is the best thing to do. I noticed in the UK snacky food is as fattening as anywhere! So it is tough, but if you put some time into reading labels you will find stuff. Make it a challenge and it will be like you won when you find things.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Anyone in the UK, Australia, or other countries is welcome to volunteer for this! new
      #96091 - 08/06/04 12:16 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I'd love to be able to post a snack list for folks outside of North America. Since I live in the US I'm not really able to do this myself, but if we have a board member who is familiar with international brands who would like to compile such a list, that'd be swell. You could just post a respose here and give an email where folks could send you suggestions, and when you have a list just send it to me (an email is fine, I'll do all the html formatting and such).

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#96128 - 08/06/04 01:54 PM
Ibsed

Hey,that was nice of you to answer - and so kindly too.
Not sure about those bars - but do they not contain a lot of insoluble fibre?I don't know them,but I know a lot of the cereal bar type snacks tend to be high fibre - and not the type we're supposed to maximise.
By the way,I didn't realise there were so few non-US users(I go to an IBS website where I've been used to seeing lots of posts from other countries.I just assumed this was the same)

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 435 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2348

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review