All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS C but no pain/spasms ,just bloating.Can diet help?
      #95743 - 08/05/04 06:40 AM
Ibsed

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Switzerland

I have read lots of stuff about the IBS diet and how it can help people with C.But,though I have been told by my doc. I have IBS(have had tests for other stuff),I'm not a typical sufferer.
A lot of the info. on the diet talks about people with IBS C. who have pain.I don't have pain,just C. and bloating.It makes my life miserable.I'm desperate for something to help me,but I'm wondering if the diet would be a good thing.
I tend to get very windy if I have too much starch - and the advice for "immediate relief" on the website,advises 3 days on just soluble fibre like white rice,white bread,pasta etc.I fear that if I tried that,I'd just get very bloated and gassy.
Anybody help - PLEASE ?

--------------------
C. with bloating,getting steadily worse over about 14 years.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS C but no pain/spasms ,just bloating.Can diet help? new
      #95775 - 08/05/04 09:23 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Welcome to the boards IBsed!! I am also a C, and although sometimes I do have some pain, my main symptom is bloating. (to the point that I look like I've swallowed a basketball!) This diet has truely made a difference in my life. I've been following it for a little over a month, and already I've experienced 1 week of stability. (it would have been longer, but I ended up sick with Pertussis and had to be put on antibiotics and cough syrup with codeine, both of which can cause C!!) It's imparitive that you consume soluble fiber, here's why.. web page as well as taking a Soluble Fiber Supplement (SFS)... web page . There are quite a few people on the boards that use Heather's Acacia powder (which is odorless, tasteless and grit free), but I use Benefiber. (The Acacia powder made me more bloated.) You wont get bloated from consuming the soluble fiber, what does it to most is too much insoluble fiber. (Which is also very important to have.) With the insoluble though, you need to be EXTRA careful. web page (This is where you'll get most of your vitamins from.) You need to very very slowly incorporate the insolubles into your diet. On the upside to this, this is what will help you to go!

I hope this helps you out. Don't be afraid to keep asking questions! I'm sure there will be others that will be happy to dish out the advice as well! Good luck!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#95825 - 08/05/04 11:46 AM
Ibsed

Thanks a lot for that.However,I'm still not sure as,as you say,YOU have pain and I don't,indicating something different is going on for both of us.
I'd still like to hear from someone like me.

--------------------

#95982 - 08/06/04 05:50 AM
Ibsed

Heather,do you have any ideas about this?I'd appreciate some imput from you,if that is possible?At the moment,I'm going around in circles and getting a bit depressed not knowing what to do for the best.

--------------------

#96087 - 08/06/04 12:09 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

IBSed, welcome again. A lot of us have different combinations of symptoms and almost all of us have been helped tremendously by Heather's diet. Why not try some very small, gradual changes in whatever you think you can handle and see how it goes? You've got nothing to lose and better health to gain, right?!

Good luck and keep coming back, okay?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

If you check the IBS Glossary you'll find the IBS entry new
      #96096 - 08/06/04 12:25 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

which gives the Rome Guidelines for diagnosis. Abdominal pain is a possible symptom but, though most folks have this, it's not a requirement. Constipation with bloating (and I'm assuming discomfort) would fit the bill. The degree to which people say they experience discomfort, versus pain, varies tremendously. This is typical for IBS.

The diet should help to just stabilize your gut, regulate bowel function (diarrhea, constipation, or alternating), and regulate bowel muscle contractions. That's why it's helpful for (and aimed at) all symptoms. If you address your constipation, you'll likely help the bloating as well.

Have you been tested for celiac? For food allergies? I'd double check that they've ruled those out. Are you taking a soluble fiber supplement? Try a variety till you find the one that you tolerate best. Use fennel tea for the bloating, and maybe peppermint caps too. Also check the yoga section of the site for poses for constipation and bloating.

Try using just rice for your soluble fiber food for a bit, and see how you do with that. Rice is the most tolerable grain for just about every GI disorder in the world, and it's also very rare for someone to be allergic to it. Use rice cereals, all kinds of white rice, rice noodles, etc. That will get you the soluble fiber foundation you need but not cause wind.

Do make sure you're following the rules for adding in enough insoluble fiber - that's really important for constipation. The diet faq addresses this.

I'd agree with Laura Sue - give the diet a try and see what happens. You don't have to go to the breaking the cycle diet - that's really meant to calm down the gut when someone is having severe spasms, and obviously you're not. Just try adopting the general guidelines - no trigger foods, soluble fiber basis, careful with how you add insoluble, and make sure you're drinking helpful herbal teas. I'd add in to drink plenty of water (double what you think you need) and get exercise, even if it's just walking, every single day. Plus those yoga poses.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#96123 - 08/06/04 01:39 PM
Ibsed

My reasons for being anxious about trying this are that I have tried zillions of diets over the years(to relieve my symptoms).As I have an eating disorder,dabbling in diets is a bit risky and can lead to me getting depressed and focussing on food again - which is not good.For this reason,I'm wary of trying anything that puts restrictions of any kind on my food unless I'm pretty sure it has a chance of helping me.You see the problem?
At the same time,I'm so miserable right now having so many digestive problems and being bloated all the time.I'm a bit stuck really.
Do you know if it's possible to email Heather directly with my question?

--------------------

Re: If you check the IBS Glossary you'll find the IBS entry new
      #96124 - 08/06/04 01:46 PM
Ibsed

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.
I've been tested for allergies but not for celiac - mind you,when I've heard about that condition,I didn't think I fitted the description.
I'll try to follow your advice.Just one thing though ,I have had relief from constipation(with Zelmac)for periods of months,but the bloating never really goes away.Also,I don't really have a lot of gas.
Sorry,I posted a reply to someone else about this before I'd seen your answer(I'm still not sure how these boards work !)

--------------------

#96125 - 08/06/04 01:47 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Ditto what Heather said. Try the diet. Heather made me a convert 3 years ago with this simple thought: You've tried things before that did not work. You've got nothing to lose.

She's right. And it did work.

Thanks, Heather!

~nel~

IBS sufferer since 12 y.o., 21 years suffering and counting

#96126 - 08/06/04 01:48 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

LOL! S'ok!

~nel~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 972 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3883

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review