All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Soluble Fibers
      #94980 - 08/01/04 07:27 PM
steve333

Reged: 08/01/04

I have a question regarding other forms of soluble fiber and how they can affect IBS. Yerba Prima has a product called Soluble Fiber that includes Psyllium husks, acacia, oat bran and apple pectin.
I know you recommend only acacia but I was curious if the other forms, such as oat bran and apple pectin might be bad for IBS?
I have already used psyllium and I know it agrees with me and I have found it helpful. I use the capsule form-4 caps at a time. I am curious as to the other ingredients. Do you think straight acacia is the way to go?
As for the acacia that you sell are there any plans for selling it in capsule form (vegi-caps)? Thank you all for your time

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soluble Fibers new
      #94995 - 08/01/04 08:21 PM
bigblue

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: New Jersey...USA

Acacia for sure. It`s tastless in bottled water & you can sprinkle it on food. You need to drink alot of water. So might as well mix the acacia in. It has helped me a great deal.

#95016 - 08/01/04 11:36 PM
RGS

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: Queensland, Australia

Hi Steve, I have been using one called Fibre Boost, made by Natures Sunshine, contains psyllium, acacia, oat bran, apple, and a whole host of useful calmative herbs. Works well for me, i used to use metamucil, but think this one just has a bit more to offer.

Ralph

#95026 - 08/02/04 02:16 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Psyllium can be a bit harsh and is usually best for IBS-Cers. Oat bran sounds like it would be insoluble (all bran is). Pectin is just what they use to "set" jam and should be fine.

Overall, I'd say this sounds like it might be good for IBS-Cers, but I'd be careful. It's also likely to give some bloating I reckon.

We are working on Acacia tablets - should be out soon! -nt- new
      #95105 - 08/02/04 11:19 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#95186 - 08/02/04 06:32 PM
steve333

Thanks for the replies. perhaps I will try the soluble mixture first and if it gives me problems switch either back to plain psyllium or to the plain acacia.

Heather, wouldnt tablets be harder to break down than a capsule?

Re: We are working on Acacia tablets - should be out soon! -nt- new
      #95666 - 08/04/04 06:06 PM
steve333

I spoke to someone at yerba prima and he said that acacia is non-bulking. Wouldnt that make it less effective than psyllium at moving along roughage and making evacuations easier? I also find that citrucell doesnt help as much as psyllium, maybe for the same reason?

#95668 - 08/04/04 06:16 PM
HeatherAdministrator

I'm not sure what he means by non-bulking. "Bulk laxatives" is the term the FDA gives to soluble fiber supplements, basically meaning that they bulk up stools (all soluble fiber, including Acacia, does this) and thus relieve constipation, even though they are not actually true laxatives.

He might mean the viscosity, which is the degree to which soluble fibers gel liquid. Psyllium is very high viscosity (which is why it turns to jello in your glass), Acacia is low viscosity. This has nothing to do with their solubility, which is the degree to which they can hold water, and which is what makes them effective in the bowel. This is really getting into the chemistry of the fibers, and not something I'm super adept at explaining, unfortunately.

Anyway, all soluble fibers will help both diarrhea and constipation. Which variety works best for you is going to be an individual thing. Psyllium works better for you than Citrucel, for example, but there will be a dozen folks on the board who will have the exact opposite result. You just have to try a variety of the supplements and see what you prefer.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#95669 - 08/04/04 06:19 PM
steve333

Actually you explained it very well. I believe that was what he was trying to say. He, for some reason, prefers to use psyllium, although their soluble fiber product contains psyllium plus acacia.
I have a feeling i will use both together, but I will try the acacia by itself first.
Have you tried psyllium alone? Did you switch to acacia because it worked better for you? Do you use only acacia now or do you sometimes use psyllium also?

I personally tolerate psyllium just fine, but I'm in the IBS minority here.. new
      #95678 - 08/04/04 06:27 PM
HeatherAdministrator

I don't like the stuff at all though because I find the plain whole psyllium seeds darn near impossible to choke down in a glass of water. Metamucil tastes okay to me, but I don't like all the garbage they add to it. If I'm taking a soluble fiber everyday, I do not want artificial colors, sweeteners, and other junk in there. Acacia is my favorite because it works really well for me, and I can add it to any liquid or soft foods (I am always sprinkling it on my meals). So I stick with that. The only other supplement I like because it doesn't contain junk is Benefiber. But, it's not organic, and they partially hydrolize it, and I'd much, much prefer to have something that's a lot more natural than that. The Acacia fits that bill perfectly. I also think Benefiber is ridiculously overpriced.

Psyllium does have about 1/3 insoluble fiber in it - just be aware of that. Virtually all fiber supplements are marketed as laxatives, so adding insoluble fiber to them is quite helpful for constipation if you have a normal gut. If you have IBS, then by definition you do not have a normal gut, and it's a much safer bet to stick to a completely soluble fiber supplement.

- H

--------------------

Re: I personally tolerate psyllium just fine, but I'm in the IBS minority here.. new
      #95680 - 08/04/04 06:32 PM
steve333

Thanks for the info. I have been using psyllium husk capsules from natural companies like yerba prima and natures way. I know Im not getting enough fiber this way because I only take 4 caps but it has improved my condition somewhat. I agree with you on the powders though-I remember hating metamucil. yerba prima makes a natural psyllium husk product that they say is easier to get down than the powder because its flaky. I may try it or just stick to the capsules.
First off, I need to order your acacia powder and try it. I know you mentioned you will come out with a tablet form (although I wish it were vegicapsules form). Any idea when this product will come out?

Re: I personally tolerate psyllium just fine, but I'm in the IBS minority here.. new
      #95682 - 08/04/04 06:35 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - it's several months away - there are other projects I have to wrap up first.

I want to make chewable tablets because I think they're more effective than capsules swallowed whole. Equalactin is a good example of this - Citrucel caps are the perfect bad example. So if people can chew the Acacia tablets, and have a glass of water with them, they'll be able to get the closest thing to taking the powder.

- H

--------------------

#95683 - 08/04/04 06:40 PM
steve333

OK. Good luck on getting it to taste good! Unfortunately with tabs you have to add sweetners and binders, etc. But who knows?
I have found the psyllium capsules to be surprisingly effective, I admit I was surprised myself.
I just ordered your acacia powder. I'll report back after I try it. My sister is coming for a visit next week so I will probably wait till she leaves to try it. It can be a little nerve wracking trying something new when company comes!

#95755 - 08/05/04 07:49 AM
JMT

Reged: 06/25/04

Is acacia available in most health food stores? I looked in one yesterday but they didn't have it? Thanks, Judy

#95778 - 08/05/04 09:37 AM
jenkins

Reged: 02/12/04

I'll be anxiously awaiting the acacia tablets... be sure to let us know when they are available. I currently take Citrucel tabs and would like to switch to Acacia, but have avoided it because I do not want to be bothered with the water and powder.

#95787 - 08/05/04 10:18 AM
danaskull

Reged: 08/05/04

For me, tablets are what I try to avoid. Tablets for any meds make my tummy hurt more. I prefer liquid, gel caps and such. Penetrates the tummy faster and I get the bennefit better. But, I just may have a more sensitive tummy than others. Tablets have always bothered my tummy, even before I was diagnosed with IBS. Which I inherited from my mother.

No, it's not in stores yet, just through the website. -nt- new
      #95809 - 08/05/04 11:22 AM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

#95886 - 08/05/04 02:55 PM
steve333

Im not a fan of tablets either if they are compounded with calcium phosphate, which is basically rock. My multimineral is a tablet and doesnt bother me at all. I prefer capsules for fiber because they break down almost as fast as the powder.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4365 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4708

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review