Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
So Discouraged Tonight...
      #94330 - 07/29/04 05:34 PM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

Hi
I am so discouraged tonight and about at my wits end with this IBS. I'm IBS-D and have been trying so many things to try and stablize. I've worked up to 5tsp of acacia/day now and have been taking Librax every morning to stop the spasms. My latest 'test' was to drop all my vitamins and supplements and estrogen to see if I noticed any improvement. Well, not much; maybe a little. What I have noticed this week is much more gas pains and the last couple of days severe bloating after eating. Can only eat a very small amount. With all my IBS I've never had this problem. Plus, have experienced more nausea in the mornings when my usual IBS attacks come. My husband thinks the time has come to have my doc send me to a GI and do a series of tests to see if there's something else going on. I have scoliosis and the chiropractor has been working on my back with the idea that that is causing my IBS which I think could be to a certain extent. I do know when you can't get ahold of the discouragement, it's hard to fight this thing. Now I'm wondering if the acacia is causing the gas and bloating;yet, up until I started my vitamin/supplement test a week ago, I seemed to be tolerating the acacia ok, although it wasn't totally eleminating my IBS symptoms. Any ideas? I'm certainly open to anything tonight.
Thanx for listening. I just dont' know where to turn or what to try next. These gas pains and bloating are so miseralble
Janene

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: So Discouraged Tonight... new
      #94334 - 07/29/04 05:42 PM
mspaschal259

Reged: 05/28/04
Loc: North Carolina , USA

Sorry you feel so bad... It is a pain in the a## to have IBS. Hang in there , we're all kinda in the same boat..

--------------------
-----Marilyn-----

I agree with hubby! new
      #94335 - 07/29/04 05:43 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

You really should have all the necessary tests done to make sure there isn't something else that's causing your problems. web page Here's the link that will discuss in further detail the kind of tests that need to be done to illiminate all other possibilities.

As far as the SFS goes, I can't tolerate the Acacia. I use Benefiber, but I'm also a C not a D.

Good luck and I hope you're feeling better soon. {{{{HUGS}}}}

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Edited by BeckyT (07/29/04 05:44 PM)

Have you tried stopping everything you're taking and just new
      #94336 - 07/29/04 05:44 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

doing the breaking the cycle diet? Basically nothing but plain soluble fiber foods and plenty of strong peppermint or fennel tea. That should stabilize diarrhea very quickly, and from there you can try adding back the Acacia, carefully adding insoluble fiber foods, and working back into your vitamin supplement.

Has your doc not tested you for other problems like IBD or celiac?

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

So sorry, Janene new
      #94339 - 07/29/04 05:52 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Sounds like you are having a rough time. I thought for sure not taking the estrogen would help at least the nausea. Actually, I think nausea is the most gosh awful thing to have and I hate it.

Some more suggestions....

Maybe try to quit the acacia....I know Bev had a lot of problems with SFS bloating and I can't take them either.

Do you think the Librax could be causing this?
Maybe you are having some side effects from it.

Have you tried OTC Phazyme for gas? It helps me. Have you tried ginger for the nausea....I've never tried that but others say it really helps.. I use Pepto bismol and eventually it helps a little. Also, maybe take a pepcid for acid before bed.

Are you eating more than just crackers? Like small amounts of rice, mashed potatoes, bread, pasta,etc?

I'm so sorry that we can't seem to find out what will make you feel better. I may have already mentioned some of these things to you but I can't remember.

BTW, do you feel better later in the day?

Keep me posted
Barbie

--------------------

#94369 - 07/29/04 07:56 PM
kemulvey

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: Mass.

Janene,
I am basically in the same boat. I had D for five straight days last week, couldn't keep anything down, was nauseated, and the gas was killing me. (Gas-X is overrated as far as I'm concerned.)

I called my GI-doc on Monday who can't see me for 2 weeks. On Tuesday I saw my PCP who put me on a diet consisting of "bread, bagels, rice, apple sauce, no roughage whatsoever" and I did that for about 4 days and the gas isn't great, but I'm feeling better in terms of stablizing. This is similar to what Heather has suggested.

They are currently testing to see if I have a hyperactive thyroid or a parasite, and in the meantime I just sit and wait.

I know exactly how you feel. I've been weak, exhausted and not felt like doing anything.

It may be a parasite... you should probably call your doctor and get tested to at least rule it out. I've had the same symptoms you describe (almost) and I'm on a different SFS than Acacia completely.

Karen =)

Karen new
      #94374 - 07/29/04 08:25 PM
jeenerz

Yes, my daughter is a nurse and she agreed with my husband to at least schedule a consult with the GI and see what he suggests. So guess I'll get that in motion tomorrow. It gets so tiring trying to figure out what is causing what, doesn't it? It does help to know you're not along--that there are actually others who truly know what you're going thru. Sure hope your doc can get to the bottom of your problem..I too am going on a very bland diet for awhile.
Thanx so much for your note!
Janene

Thank you all for your encouragement! new
      #94375 - 07/29/04 08:39 PM
jeenerz

I'm going to go ahead tomorrow and try to have my reg doc get me in to see the GI. I had a colonoscopy done 7 yrs ago, which is when the GI diagnosed me with IBS. So guess it's about time for another one Thanx for your suggestions, Heather. I don't have diahhrea. My present problems consist of the spasms/urgent bms in the mornings when I get up. I never have watery d, just gets real soft and the spasms keep them coming. This week I haven't had alot of spasms that go into the attacks, just lots of rumblings and then all this gas pain and bloating. I've always been able to tolerate reg. yogurt which has been my evening meal w/ a banana for months. However, I'm just wondering if I did perhaps pick up an intestinal bug from my hubby (He had it a couple of weeks ago) last week and it has totally messed up what little stability I had. Make any sense?
I do plan on going on a very narrow, but careful diet and see if I can't get regulated. I plan on putting the vitamins back into my regiment tomorrow, but will stay totally away from dairy for a few days and see if that makes a difference. I don't know what I'd do without you all. Thanx
Janene

A Question for Heather new
      #94377 - 07/29/04 08:41 PM
jeenerz

Do you think I should drop the acacia (I was up to 5tsp/day which took along time to get there ) right now and then start all over again later? Or should I just keep on with it and just go on the breaking the cycle diet?
Janene

Re: Karen new
      #94390 - 07/30/04 12:46 AM
daliatree

Loc: Manhattan, New York

I am currently experiencing a similar thing...after ten years of ibs c, after a tummy bug I caught ten weeks ago I have attacks, just like the bug, that come every ten days or so and stay about four days. The nausea is the worst part. I finally convinced a doctor yesterday to let me (funny how you have to dictate to the doctor!!!) submit a stool sample to check for parasites etc.....I also got anti nausea meds. I will take anything to get rid of it. Good luck.....get your poos checked...you never know !!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Barbie: re: dropping estrogen new
      #94450 - 07/30/04 08:19 AM
jeenerz

Thanx for your concern; when I went to see my chiropractor today, he wasn't aware that I dropped my estrogen about 3 days ago on top of dropping my vitamins/supplements a week ago. He said is was a BAD idea to drop my estrogen cold turkey like that and to get back on it. He wants me to stay off all the vitamins/supplements (I was going to start back up today) for another week yet and see what happens. He said sometimes nutrition will mask the real problems and he said he wasn't too concerned with the extreme bloating and gas pains that I'm having this week. I told him when I didn't have my yogurt yesterday I didn't have the gas pains or bloating as bad. His take was that it's very possible the vitamins/supplements were helping break down the little dairy I was eating , so that I didn't notice any of that. Without the vit/sup the dairy can't cope. So at this point, I'm off all dairy.
Don't think it's the librax; have been on that for about 3 months now and it never has caused that. Don't think it's the acacia either as I had slowly worked up to 5 tsp over several weeks and also didn't have the bloating gaspains that have suddenly come on. I may cut back some on it tho, right now, as I can't seem to drink as much water as I should when I'm so bloated and have the gas pains.
I am going to call my doc today and see if she will get me in to the GI. It usually takes so long to get scheduled with those guys, so guess I will get the ball rolling.
One thing I've noticed the past few days is that even tho the nausea seems to be worse 1st thing in the mornings, the muscle/cramp/spasms aren't near as bad. I usually go 2x and even tho things do still 'churn' abit, it seems to quiet down quicker. I told my husband this morning, I sure do get tired of always trying to self-analyize what MIGHT be the problem. So what's new, huh???
Have a good day
God Bless,
Janene

I'd stop everything... new
      #94578 - 07/30/04 12:01 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

just go to breaking the cycle. When things calm down, try adding back in the Acacia at a lower dose. If it doesn't bother you, you should be able to raise back up to your previous dose pretty quickly. But this way you'll know for sure what it is that's setting you off.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanx Heather; one more question.... new
      #94581 - 07/30/04 12:11 PM
jeenerz

I'll do that for a few days and see what happens. Being with out the vitamins has seemed to help the spasms/attacks in the am, but just don't know where all this nausea,bloating and gas pain is coming from, seeing I have very rarely had these symptoms. Went and bought some fennel, ginger and peppermint tea, so we'll try those over the weekend and will stay away from dairy, which normally is not a trigger for me (yogurt) My chiropractor today, said that the vitamins/supplements could have been helping breakdown the yogurt I was taking in and without them, the bloating/gaspains could be happening. He'd like me to stay off them (vitamins) for another week yet and see if my body evens out from detoxing from them. He did say to get back on the estrogen right away; that it wasn't good to get off that cold turkey. With my severe scoliosis and back problems, he has been a real source of help and seems to have some good advice. Hope he's right on this.
What do you think?
Janene

#94589 - 07/30/04 12:58 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Janene, so sorry you're not doing well. Hope you're a little better today.

Karen, nice pic!! You got it posted while I was away!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Saturday Update new
      #94809 - 07/31/04 11:56 AM
jeenerz

Hey Guys,
Thought I'd let those of you who responded know how things are going. First of all I did make an app't with the GI for Aug. 30, so the ball is rolling on that one. Heather suggested going on the 'what to eat when you can't eat' diet, which I've been on for the last couple of days, which has been good. However, I think the culprit may be dairy which blows me away, seeing I've been able to have yogurt every day forever. I am dropping all dairy for a couple of weeks to do a real test, but the gas pains and bloating seem to have died down. I still can't eat very much at one time without feeling full and bloated. My chiro. told me yesterday that very possibly the vitamins/supplements were helping in some way to break down the dairy products I was eating and that without them, it just all fell apart. Who knows??? Oh yes, I also went out and bought lots of different teas yesterday. I HATE tea, but thought maybe it would be in my best interests to develope a taste for it. So that may be helping as well. Anyways, just wanted you guys to know how much I appreciate you and your interest. Guess we're all in this thing together, arent' we.
God Bless,
Janene

Re: Saturday Update new
      #94827 - 07/31/04 02:17 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Sounds like you may be on the road to recovery??? I sure hope so. Keep us posted.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

dairy crisis new
      #94908 - 08/01/04 09:32 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Janene,

I know what you mean about being shocked about dairy. I was a regular yogurt-eater and would even just eat chunks of cheese by themselves as a snack. Since eliminating it from my diet ( ), I have realized that when I do have it, at a minimum I am very gassy. I can tolerate small amounts of milk products in other foods, but what a shock that it really does bother me!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

It's so discouraging, isn't it? new
      #94949 - 08/01/04 02:20 PM
jeenerz

I am also a dipper; by that I mean I dip everything (well almost) in ranch dip; can't have my carrots without it, etc. Well, you know what no dairy means....I'm hoping after being off it for a week or two, that if I try a little dairy, that I'll be able to tolerate a little. Have you ever tried lactaid? Does it allow a person to eat any dairy? Just wondering.
Janene

Dairy new
      #94950 - 08/01/04 02:26 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Be careful with dairy...having stablised, I can tolerate a little bit every now and again, but I still feel bad effects. Could you try something like houmous or Heather's guacamole instead? Or how about low-fat mayo? I have that with practically everything!

Ranch dressing! new
      #94969 - 08/01/04 03:54 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I know there's a couple safe ranch dressing recipes floating around... here's one from the recipe index, but I think there's another one too. No need to give it up completely; you just might need to give up the bottled stuff.

Edit: I knew I'd find the other one! Kree's Dairy-Free Ranch Dressing

Lactaid pills new
      #94974 - 08/01/04 06:10 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Janene,

I can tolerate a small amount of dairy if I take a lactaid pill. Not everybody is that way, though, so I don't know how you would react. I also use lactaid milk in my oatmeal.

Barbie

--------------------

#94982 - 08/01/04 07:40 PM
steve333

Reged: 08/01/04

Hi, I find that taking the right types of supplements helps somewhat. I have tried many different brands and formulas and here is what i have found:
Minerals are hard on the gut especially unchelated forms. I take a multivitamin(without minerals) with breakfast, and a good multimineral with dinner. This has helped tremendously since the morning is my worst time.
I also take fiber just before dinner so by morning i can go before going to work. It seems to time out that way.
Another thing is to take digestive enzymes. I have found that most of the vegetable based enzymes on the market are too strong and can actually cause cramping and irritation (the one exception is a product called 'Absorbaid'. I personally take pancreatic enzymes, but I also use absorbaid on occasion.
This is what my supplement schedule looks like, maybe it will work for others here also:
AM:
Vitalife Multiforte
Jarrow CoQ10
Primary Sources OPC (antioxidant)-pycnogenol
PM:
Source Naturals Life Minerals without iron
Solgar Bioascorbate
Solgar Dry E 200IU
Jarrow MSM
Jarrow Pancreatin or Absorbaid
Spectrum Fish Oil Caps
Policosanol (for cholesterol)
Green Magma Barley Tab (to keep alkaline)
Before Dinner:
Psyllium Capsules (may switch to acacia)
Garden of Life Goatein Collostrum Tabs (From Goats Milk, predigested-Goats milk is easier to digest than cow)
I order most of my vitamins from www.vitaminshoppe.com
Hope this helps

Re: Dairy new
      #94983 - 08/01/04 07:46 PM
steve333

I can handle Turkey Hill Frozen Yogurt, but everyone is different.
One thing I find that cuts my cravings for dairy and carbs is a good chunk of dark chocolate. My fav is Trader Joe's Pound Plus, however there are plenty of milk free dark chocolates out there. As long as you can tolerate chocolate of course.

Re: Have you tried stopping everything you're taking and just new
      #94986 - 08/01/04 07:56 PM
steve333

I would also suggest adding a good probiotic supplement, such as Culturelle. I also find Garden of Life Goatein Colosstrum to be helpful. Eating a peeled apple for the pectin is useful (I prefer Gala Apples), and coconut macaroons have been shown to be antidiarrheal(healthfood store brand best). And using a digestive enzyme such as absorbaid would most likely get rid of diarrhea unless it is caused by a bacteria. In this case i have found grapefruit seed extract in capsule form to help kill the germs.
I also have to add activated charcoal capsules, which absorb all the gas and bad stuff in your system and pass it out through your stool (which will turn temporarily dark so dont worry. I always keep charcoal on hand in case i get a stomachache or gas. Ginger root caps are good for breaking up gas also.

There is a relatively new product on the market called 'Mastic Gum' which is in capsule form. It has been proven to kill the H. Pylori bacteria which can cause ulcers and other GI Tract problems.
Hope Im not loading too much info here!

Re: Saturday Update new
      #94988 - 08/01/04 08:02 PM
steve333

I cant eat yogurt for anything, but I can eat Turkey Hill Frozen Yogurt for some reason.
Tea is really great for you but i would recommend decaf. My favorite regular decaf tea is Liptons. However, the most gentle tea i have tried is Long Life Decaf Green Tea. It is organic and I let it steep for 2-3 minutes. I have started adding honey to it because honey has natural antibiotic potential and wont hurt your teeth like sugar can. Pretty much any brand decaf green tea will suffice. Try some different brands and see which you like best-personally I use Long Life even though its more expensive than the other brands. I drink a cup with breakfast every day-Im hooked on it!

Re: Lactaid pills new
      #94992 - 08/01/04 08:15 PM
kemulvey

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: Mass.

I use Lactaid all the time for cheeses and yogurt etc.
My doc has me on no milk at the moment because of the recent flare up... but they work for me and I am super sensitive to dairy.
Karen =)

Thanx Casey! new
      #95002 - 08/01/04 08:46 PM
jeenerz

Thanx so much--you can be sure I will look up those recipes. I just can't imagine life without ranch....
Will be thinking of you tomorrow at your doc. appt.
Janene

So Many Pills??? new
      #95161 - 08/02/04 03:50 PM
jeenerz

WOW! How do you remember to take them all. I just quit all my vitamins and supplements a week ago and cut way back on the acacia and am trying to build up from scratch. That's a heck of alot of stuff to remember to take, but, hey! If it works for you, you go for it...that's the key here, right. Thanx for your interest.
Janene

Re: So Many Pills??? new
      #95187 - 08/02/04 06:36 PM
steve333

I'm used to it. I have the bottles lined up so i know when to take them. i find they have helped me quite a bit. It took years to find this proper combo and making sure none of them upset my stomache. I found the key is to take the minerals at dinner. And this particluar formula is the best for me.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4665 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5428

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review