All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I'm confused and will do anything
      #9236 - 05/16/03 01:09 PM
wac

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Casselberry, FL

Hey there everyone. Hope all are well. I've been doing a SEARCH of the boards for about an hour trying to find a way to help myself with my gas and bloating problem. It happens everyday and most days I wake up with it. I need some help clearing up the following advice: what are papaya enzymes with chlorophyl and where can I get them? On the same note what are digestive enzyme supplements - lactase? Also - Colpermin Peppermint Oil Capsules also referred to as MINTEC or enteric coating peppermint capsules? I also read that Creon a digestive enzyme can be helpful. What in the world is that? A couple more questions (as if I haven't asked enough) the following were recommended: fennel tea, burned toast and aloe vera juice. Any thoughts? I haven't been able to pinpoint my gas problem but I have been eating A LOT more sugar. Just white table sugar but I've been putting two TBS in my oatmeal in the am (with 1tsp brown sugar), atleast 2 TBS in my am peppermint tea. Could that be the culprit? Please help - I'm about to float away.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm confused and will do anything new
      #9241 - 05/16/03 02:13 PM
Andie

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Western NY

Gas has been my main IBS symptom. I am happy to say that doing hypnotherapy with Mike's tapes has made a big difference. I still can't quite believe it, actually. I was pretty skeptical but tired enough of IBS to give it a try. But, foodwise - sugar was a serious culprit for me, but mostly baked in things. I could occasionally eat a piece of hard candy and be okay. I have been "testing" myself lately with jelly beans left from Easter and have been fine. Do you avoid dairy and high fat foods? They were absolutely the worst things for me. Try not to get too hungry, too, because the air builds up in your stomach and gets pushed through once you do have food in your system. You should avoid carbonated drinks also. As for papaya tablets, they can be found in health food stores. I assume they are literally enzymes from the papaya plant and chlorophyll is added. There are MANY digestive enzymes, not just lactase. Go to a health food store and ask to see that section. Just read labels to get a sense of what's out there. I have used many and believed they were helping. I don't take any now and am doing better than ever, which I think is due to the hypnotherapy. I am only through 47 out of 100 sessions. You might want to consider it. Hope this helps.
Andie

#9247 - 05/16/03 02:44 PM
headyna

Reged: 05/12/03
Loc: Michigan

I have been taking the GAS AID by Imodium, does no contain any anti-diarrheal, I also read on the box today that one of the inactive ingredients is peppermint oil! May can kill two birds with one stone????? Good luck!

#9253 - 05/16/03 03:37 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I hope this does not add to your confusion. Some people (like myself) find oatmeal difficult to tolerate for some reason. That may be your culprit right there. Try some white toast with a bit of honey or seedless jam or a little bit of peanut butter. See if that's different. Sugar should not be a problem if you have IBS. I do know that some people can be sensitive to glucose (a kind of sugar often in fruits, etc.) but plain old white sugar should be OK. Fennel tea is excellent for bloating. You can just brew fennel in boiling water (if you mash it up a bit with a mortar and pestle, it becomes more potent )
I would also encourage you to read the section on this website that outlines the "trigger" foods that you should avoid. Here is a link to it: web page
Hope this helps.
Burnt toast I would guess would be for the carbon (a lot of people take charcoal supplements but I don't know much about them).
Take care and take heart. You CAN feel better. Post any more questions you have.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

So glad to hear you're doing better!!! -nt- new
      #9266 - 05/16/03 06:25 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#9267 - 05/16/03 06:31 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi there - For your questions:

What are papaya enzymes with chlorophyl and where can I get them?

These are digestive enzymes, and they're available at health food stores or drug stores.

On the same note what are digestive enzyme supplements - lactase?

Lactase is a digestive enzyme for lactose (milk sugar) which you probably don't need since you should be avoiding dairy entirely. Most digestive enzymes contain quite a few different enzymes, some aimed at fats, others for carbs, others for proteins.

Colpermin Peppermint Oil Capsules also referred to as MINTEC or enteric coating peppermint capsules?

These are all the same thing. Enteric coated peppermint capsules come in many different brands, all comparable.

Any thoughts - fennel tea, burned toast and aloe vera juice?

Fennel tea is one of the very best things for bloating and gas. I'd try that before anything else - drink hot cups of it all day long. The burned toast can help gas, but aloe vera juice can trigger gas and bloating. I'd avoid it for now.

I haven't been able to pinpoint my gas problem but I have been eating A LOT more sugar.

Most folks with IBS do just fine with refined table/baking sugar, which is sucrose. Fruit sugar (fructose) can cause problems though. But, if you suddenly and drastically upped your sugar intake it could be causing gas - and it's really not doing your health any good no matter what.

Can you make your oatmeal with vanilla soy milk and reduce the sugar you put on top? And try stevia to sweeten your tea, or a little bit of honey (if you're not fructose-sensitive, honey should be just fine).

Also - avoid carbonation, chewing gum, and try to be active as that will expel gas.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Aloe Vera Capsules.. new
      #9276 - 05/17/03 08:48 AM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

I just started taking the Aloe Vera Capsules a couple weeks ago and have you heard if they cause gas too?

Thanks for all the help new
      #9322 - 05/18/03 01:59 PM
wac

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Casselberry, FL

Thanks everybody for all the posts. I'm going to stop eating the oatmeal in the morning and see what happens. I've noticed that I feel better on the weekends than during the week and I think it's because I get up later and eat lunch right away (maybe eggs whites on toast as a sandwich) rather than the oatmeal. I definately increased my sugar A LOT because I wasn't drinking the tea before and I put sugar in my tea EVERYTIME I drink it. So - I'm going to lay off that as well. I'll see if the gas subsides this week. Wish me luck! Thanks again for all the posts!

Also.. new
      #9405 - 05/19/03 04:13 PM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

which is better for your digestive system, aloe vera caps or peppermint capsules? I have reflux every now and then and haven't tried the peppermint capsules.

Re: Also.. new
      #9409 - 05/19/03 04:36 PM
HeatherAdministrator

I'd be careful with the aloe as some people find it makes things worse, not better. Peppermint capsules shouldn't cause reflux - they're enteric coated, which means they don't dissolve in the stomach. They don't dissolve until they reach the small intestine. At best the peppermint capsules should really help you. At worst, there shouldn't be side effects, you just won't notice much improvement.

Best,
Heather

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7031 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2196

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review