All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acacia
      #91729 - 07/20/04 06:29 AM
Aunti Mo

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Lake Station, Indiana

I am wondering, I see where some people are using the Acacia plus another fiber suppliment. I am confused. The Acacia does not work for some or is it just a boost to get it all working?

--------------------
Aunti Mo

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia new
      #91734 - 07/20/04 06:49 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't know for sure, but I think some people use 2 fibers out of habit (they were switching from one to the other, for example, felt good on the combination and decided to stick with it), or because one is more convenient than the other (pills vs powders). All fiber supplements work the same way in the system, so it's just a matter of finding the one you like... and if more than one works, super!

I know the Acacia doesn't work for some, but in those cases, you typically stop taking it altogether and go with a different supplement. (As is the case with any other brand, too... I had trouble with Citrucel, for example.)

#91735 - 07/20/04 06:49 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Some of us who are C-predominant find we get better results when we alternate fiber supplements. I haven't noticed a huge difference, but sometimes I'm just more in a Citrucel mood than an acacia one.

--AC

#91736 - 07/20/04 06:53 AM
Aunti Mo

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Lake Station, Indiana

Thank's all, that is kind of what I thought. Sometimes it is easier to take a pill than mix the powders. Say at work. Ha Ha. I am going to hang in with the Acacia for awhile and see how that does. I have only been on it for 5 days and haven't noticed any real changes. I am an IBS-C.

--------------------
Aunti Mo

#91744 - 07/20/04 08:06 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I LOVE my acacia, but not because it makes me go..........I'm a "C" ....but because it has no additives and acts as a prebiotic and a buffer before meals. Nonetheless I mix brands up and take tabs or chewables when out and Acacia, Citrucel and Konsyl at home. The Konsyl (straight psyllium that makes you bloat so I take it at night) seems to be the only thing that moves the bowels the next day.

--------------------

Try gradually increasing your dose... new
      #91925 - 07/20/04 05:58 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

constipation often requires higher doses of soluble fiber supplements, and you have to work up to that, so be a bit patient. Get yourself up to 3 rounded tablespoons a day and see how you're doing (and it can take a few weeks to get up to that dose, so don't rush it - if you go too far too fast with a fiber increase you can get gas/bloating).

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3900 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 979

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review