Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fasting before surgery?
      #9169 - 05/16/03 01:39 AM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi everyone,

I have to fast for six hours before my surgery on Monday. It is at 10.30 so i won't be having anything to eat from about 8 pm Sunday night right up to early afternoon Monday.

The hospital has been great about all my food requirements and have ordered me a "special" sandwhich of chicken breast and avocado on french bread.

I'm worried about how my tummy will cope when eating after being empty so many hours. Should I take some benefiber with me to drink before I eat do you think? It's already upset and really gassy (I think my swollen ovaries are pressing on the colon and intestines?)

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fasting before surgery? new
      #9204 - 05/16/03 09:54 AM
NewYrsBB

Reged: 04/15/03

Hi Kerrie!

I've had a couple of surgeries before, and what helped me was "easing back into" eating - watch not only what you eat, but how much. Start with half of your usual portion (perhaps even less than that). Taking Benefiber in addition to will also help.

I'm keepin' ya in my thoughts & prayers!!!!

--------------------
++++++

Re: Fasting before surgery? new
      #9221 - 05/16/03 11:16 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Kerrie - I would definitely ease back into eating with a dose of your Benefiber, and also some peppermint or fennel tea. Take that first, keep drinking the tea, and then have a little snack of just some plain white bread or pretzels or such. Then an hour or so later have a bit of your sandwich, with more tea. Keep up the small portions of safe foods and teas for a day or two and you should be good to go.

Best of luck - with everything!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1809 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 515

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review