All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
My daughter
      #91682 - 07/19/04 10:38 PM
daisy2

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: Washington

Hi - I am new here and this is my first time using a message board. It took me awhile just to figure out how to post this message. Anyways, I'm here because I'm trying to help my 9 year old figure out if she has IBS. It all started about 5 months ago when she started telling me she didn't feel good. I took her to the doctor and she ran all kinds of tests on her and they said she was just fine. That whatever she was feeling was normal for her. Well, that didn't go over too well. She said they don't know what I am feeling and that she wasn't making it up she just doesn't feel good. When I asked her to describe it she said she felt like throwing up all the time. Anyways, to make a long story short, we just got back from a vacation where after reading this website I truly believe it's IBS. She had one bad attack after she had a shirley temple to drink and fried chicken fingers and french fries. She went right up to the bathroom had an attack and could hardly even talk to me and then almost threw up. It is happening everyday now where she tells me she doesn't feel good. She also had a bad attack on the airplane after I figure out now that she was drinking ginger ale which is a tigger food. Anyways, I just wonder what my next step should be. Should I take her into a gastro doctor? I have had her on the soluable fiber diet since we got back two days ago. She says the peppermint tea makes her feel better. She is still so full of gas all the time. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks so much.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My daughter new
      #91683 - 07/19/04 11:01 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Hello, and welcome!

It breaks my heart to hear that such a young person has to deal with IBS and all the problems that come with it. Thank you for looking out for your daughter!

I definitely think a gastro doctor would be a good next step. My recommendation would be to just go and present her symptoms and see what diagnosis the doctor comes up with. She might have IBS, but it wouldn't hurt to have the doc check for other things just to be sure.

In the meantime, do keep your daughter on the IBS diet. If she's having problems with nausea, I recommend having her eat often (every two hours or so). It really helped me until the nausea passed.

Best of luck!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#91698 - 07/20/04 02:09 AM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Keep her off of the fried foods and carbonated drinks.
Make an appointment with a good GI right away.
Keep up the IBS diet with plenty of peppermint tea at least until the doctor can help you figure out for sure what it is.
Being nine, your daughter may not be truly heard by some doctors. You will need to make sure that they pay attention to her symptoms and do not ignore her because she is young and just having "tummy aches".
You may want to start giving her a soluble fiber supplement like metamucil or citrucil. I highly recomend the Acacia fiber that you can order on this site.
I hope that you can find out exactly what your daughter has so that she can start getting help as soon as possible.
This site is very beneficial for people with IBS, I hope that you find the answers you need here.

#91726 - 07/20/04 06:23 AM
daisy2

Thanks for much. I will make an appointment for her today.

#91728 - 07/20/04 06:29 AM
daisy2

Thanks for the info. I will make an appointment today.

Oy! new
      #91738 - 07/20/04 06:56 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Your poor daughter. I'm so glad you're going to get her to see a gastro (I just read your replies to the others). 20 years ago, that could have been me. The difference is that my mother took me a pediatrician once, he said I had the flu, she took me home, and that was the end of it. Since I wasn't taken seriously, I didn't complain again until I was 17 (and that doctor didn't take me seriously either). I don't blame my mother for any of this at all, but my childhood and teenage years could have been a lot more pleasant if I'd gotten the medical attention I needed, you know? Your daughter has a huge advantage on her side - she has *you*. Good luck with the gastro!

#91753 - 07/20/04 09:23 AM
Brendarific

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: The Northwest 'Burbs Of Chicago, IL

Oh, this just breaks my heart! I can't imagine having to go through the symptoms at such a young age!
((HUGS)) to your daughter and ((HUGS)) to you for being pro-active with getting her properly diagnosed!

--------------------
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Re: Oy! new
      #91934 - 07/20/04 06:44 PM
daisy2

Thanks for your support and kind words. I made that appointment today and she is being seen in only 1 week from today by a pediatric gastro. She had a pretty good day today. I am looking forward to hearing what the doc has to say about all of this. Take care.

#91936 - 07/20/04 06:51 PM
daisy2

Thanks. I got her an appointment for next week with a pediatric gastro so we shall see. She had a pretty good day today but gets nausa a lot if she doesn't eat a little something every two hours. Take care.

Click on the "IBS Books" link to the left of the page new
      #91937 - 07/20/04 07:05 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and follow the links to the chapters of the The First Year IBS. That will tell you what your doc needs to do to properly diagnose your daughter, plus all the ways she can be helped, plus give you special info on dealing with IBS for children.

I developed IBS at age 9 myself, so my heart goes out to your little girl. She can be spared a lot of years of pain and misery with the right info in hand, though, so that's some good news.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2469 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1980

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review