All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
If you're unstable but can't stick to "safe" foods...what would you eat?
      #90053 - 07/14/04 03:22 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Quick question...as some of you will know from reading my previous posts, I'm not exactly what you would call "stable" right now and am having a lot of pain and D. However, my doctors are very concerend because all I've been eating is bread, rice and the occasional bite of angel food cake, and even that isn't sitting well. THat's why they gave me the oxycodone, hoping that'll allow me to eat so I don't have to be hospitalized to be fed.

So, my question is...I have to get protein and some food with more nutrional value...what would be the best things to try?

I'm thinking things like:
bananas
applesauce
boiled plain chicken breast
organic chicken broth or squash soup

That's about all I've come up with. I would really appreciate any suggestions so that if some of the above don't sit well, I've got other stuff to try.

THanks everyone!
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hmm... new
      #90057 - 07/14/04 03:35 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Foodwise, I'm actually at the same point you are right now. I can't freaking eat ANYTHING, it seems like, and I'm losing a lot of weight, very quickly.

That said, these are the things I've found I can almost always eat without problems:

Chicken breast, even grilled (which is a lot tastier than boiled!)
White fish, like cod or tilapia
Carrots, cooked very very well

Dry cereal, especially Honeycomb - it doesn't sound like it's much for nutrition, but it IS vitamin-enriched, and probably better than eating plain crackers or bread

I also make a "soup" out of chicken broth, rice, leftover chicken, and sometimes chopped-up carrots. It's the same stuff as above, but it makes me feel like I'm getting some variety.

Canned peaches and pears, in natural juice (not syrup)
Mashed potatoes made with broth
Rice, of course, including rice cereal (the baby stuff)

I think that's about it... I do have a weird one or two, too... I can eat garlicky hummus with no problems, but I think that's just a fluke. Also, you might try the applesauce with caution - I know it's part of the "safe" diet, but I (and a few others I know) have a lot of problems with it.

Good luck, Kelly!

I'd add well-cooked sweet potatoes or orange squash to the list. -nt- new
      #90059 - 07/14/04 03:40 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

I thought of something else, too... see if you can find... new
      #90065 - 07/14/04 03:47 PM
atomic rose

Soy-enriched pasta. When I had mono as a teenager, I couldn't eat anything besides crackers and pasta because of the nausea, and my doctor was concerned about me getting protein. My mother somehow found soy-enriched pasta, and it was actually not horrible. LOL! It might have a little more nutrition to it than plain ol' spaghetti.

Thanks! new
      #90066 - 07/14/04 03:48 PM
Vicam

Thanks for the suggestion...I've never heard of that but I'll take a look for it. I wish we could drink things like Ensure because that would certainly help with the lack of nutrients, but I imagine that would make things worse Sorry to hear that you're having trouble too...glad to hear that you've found some things you can tolerate though
Kelly

Anytime! new
      #90071 - 07/14/04 03:56 PM
atomic rose

I know... I spent about 1/2 hour in WalMart the other day, reading the labels of every "Ensure"-type drink that exists, desperately trying to find a non-dairy one... but nope. It would make life a lot easier. I'd almost consider risking it, but I have a lot of days where I can barely even drink water, so I'd better not. LOL

Hope you get feeling better soon!

Oooh, and Amazake rice drinks. They're nutritious and really good! -nt- new
      #90076 - 07/14/04 04:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks Heather! Do you know if you can get these in Canada...or if there's a company who ships -nt new
      #90079 - 07/14/04 04:26 PM
Vicam

Check health food stores... new
      #90081 - 07/14/04 04:31 PM
HeatherAdministrator

the company is Grainassance, they have a website, but I don't know if they ship.

- H

--------------------

Re: If you're unstable but can't stick to "safe" foods...what would you eat? new
      #90217 - 07/15/04 12:50 AM
Jayne in Japan

Reged: 07/14/04

Hi Kelly,
Thanks for your welcome message on my "Hello" post. Sounds like your in a pretty similar state to me. Have you tried Tofu? I eat it mixed in with rice cooked with 4 times as much water as usual. It's really high in protein. It gives me a little gas but at least it stays in for a good few hours. Very dry chicken and mangos both seem to be okay too.
Also I eat everything in really small quantities - about 2 egg cups full of the porridge, a cm square of chicken and a thin slice of mango every hour.
I also drink sports drinks rather than water. If you can't keep any food in then you will get dehydrated by drinking just water. Japan has a lot of unflavoured sports drinks. Not sure if you have them - if not then make sure you put some salt on the rice to help you absorb the water.
Hang in there.

Re: If you're unstable but can't stick to "safe" foods...what would you eat? new
      #90238 - 07/15/04 05:43 AM
ssr

Reged: 06/29/04
Loc: St. Louis, MO

someone mentioned the soy pastas...they are indeed very high in protein and now...thanks to low carb craze easy to find. Look in a regular grocery store for low carb pastas...Atkins makes them, R&F also and another Italian name...Bella something or other. Soy DOES, however, create gas problems for SOME folks...you may be fine, just be on the alert. I am C, so not so hot re. D advice...hope something helps you soon!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5245 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1375

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review