All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sugar Intolerance
      #8963 - 05/13/03 11:53 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

My hubby thinks I might have problems digesting fructose/sucrose/glucose because I might be lacking the enzymes to digest sugars properly. Does anyone know anything about this--is there a name for this? Is it related to Celiac? How can I get tested? Thanks!!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sugar Intolerance new
      #8968 - 05/13/03 12:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I've heard of fructose intolerances, and you can be tested for that. I don't think you could have a total sugar intolerance, though, because all carbohydrates break down into glucose in the body. Glucose is what your brain and muscles use for fuel. So if you couldn't process glucose you'd die.

Try a web search at google.com for fructose intolerance testing and see what comes up. There should be some medical information on that. Might also be other sugar intolerances that pop up (lactose intolerance is quite common, for example, and there may be others).

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#8969 - 05/13/03 12:09 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Heather,

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

(((((big hugs)))))

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#8970 - 05/13/03 12:13 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Ruchie,
This may not be much help but I'll tell you what I know...a girl who lived in my dorm the last couple of years was allergic to, I believe, sucrose. Unfortunately, before the doctors figured this out, her consumption of sugar (in breastmilk, formula, or whatever) caused some minimal brain damage--don't get me wrong, she's very bright, etc. etc., but apparently her brother's just BRILLIANT and she should've been too. Anyway, she has to watch what she eats carefully, and sometimes whatever she eats still makes her ill, and she's borderline underweight no matter what. I don't know how helpful this is, as I don't know the name of the condition, and half of what I have heard is second-hand, but there you go. Best of luck!

#9025 - 05/14/03 05:57 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

Hey Ruchie,

I don't think I am sugar intolerant, but I know I get an upset stomach if I eat too many sweets. I really tend to stay away from desserts. My husband on the other hand has Dr. Pepper, chocolate chip cookies and candy bars for breakfast! LOL I think he does it just to watch me turn green...

Good luck figuring it out!

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3217 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 611

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review