All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
pregnant and IBS-D
      #89305 - 07/13/04 08:30 AM
sphincts001

Reged: 07/13/04

Hello helpforibs veterans,

Heather suggested I tap into your collective experience and wisdom. I've been coping w/IBS (usually D) for about 15 yrs. Am now 14 wks pregnant (1st time) and having chronic D (mild, at least) for the last 3 weeks. In the past I could fix things by eating nothing but rice for a few days, but I am concerned about forgoing the fetus-necessary nutrients (protein, vitamins, etc.). I'm eating IBS-safe stuff now, and while the D is mild, it isn't going away.

Also taking Precare prenatal vitamins (my dr. was hoping the calcium, which constipates patients, would fix my D but no such luck).

What's your advice? I half feel that if I can't get rid of the D by eating rice, etc., I might as well go all-out and eat beans and hamburger and cheese so at least the poor fetus will get enough protein.

(sigh) really sad when you see dog poop on the street and all you can think is, "Wouldn't it be nice to be regular?"

Thanks for your help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: pregnant and IBS-D new
      #89312 - 07/13/04 09:00 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Having never been pregnant, I'm probably not going to be of much help... I alternate between D and C, and what I do for the D spells is probably not going to work for you, because of the baby.

That said, I just wanted to say hi and welcome. I'm sure someone will be along who can answer your questions... it seems like we're getting a slow start on here today!

Welcome! Definitely do a board search for pregnancy new
      #89438 - 07/13/04 12:15 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

with no time limits on posts, and look for posts by HanSolo (a moderator with a special interest in and experience with pregnancy and IBS).

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#89463 - 07/13/04 12:59 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Congratulations and welcome to mommyhood! I am 26 weeks pregnant with my third. I can't believe how fast it flies by. I also have IBS D but I haven't had too many problems during my pregnancy especially a couple weeks into the second trimester so give it a few weeks. I am also taking Pre Care vitamins and I think they are helping me so much.

If you want some protein with your rice just add some chicken and cooked veggies like carrots. That might help. I sometimes make this dish where I cut up some cooked chicken and add it with rice and cooked green beans with some type of fat free dressing. It's good. I'm not the best eater and I don't do so well with my eating for certain periods of time when I'm pregnant. I acutually get to a point where I hate food and I hate eating. I don't think eating just rice for a few meals or a few days is going to effect you baby, especially since you are taking vitamins. Babies seem to do fine despite what we eat. My girls were both very healthy. Your baby will actually take from you so it's you who is missing out. Think about these woman who can't keep anything down and lose weight in the begining and their babies turn out fine. Just make sure you are drinking. I notice I have more problems when I don't get enough to drink.

#89493 - 07/13/04 02:28 PM
sphincts001

Thanks for the pointers & reassurance, torbetta, and congratulations on your 3rd! Yes, I get the impression that my dr's office's daily nutritional guidelines are a bit strict (72g protein, equivalent of 1 qt milk, 7-9 fruits/vegs, etc.) -- you have to wonder about all those poverty-stricken mothers all over the world who get NOTHING to eat for days, and manage to have perfectly healthy kids. They'd probably kill for problems like mine.

As a matter of fact, my mother was just reminding me that she had constant nausea/vomiting for her entire 2nd and 3rd trimesters (sorry, Mom!), plus I'm worrying now about my upcoming amnio, so IBS-D may be the least of my concerns...! What can you do.

Once again, congrats and thanks.

#89507 - 07/13/04 02:45 PM
sphincts001

Thanks! This whole pregnancy process is interesting -- C is a common complaint for most and I had a short bout of it, which actually turned into regularity (a nice 8 weeks), but then my old friend D came back. If you choose the pregnancy path for yourself down the road, I'm sure you'll discover lots of interesting things on your own -- !

#89526 - 07/13/04 03:21 PM
Electra

My sympathies to you!!! Pregnancy can trigger IBS-D my dr said (and both myself and my niece got severe attacks in pregnancy.) I had to avoid ALL fatty foods during pregnancy!

#89535 - 07/13/04 03:33 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Sorry can't help out on this one. My only saving grace was being pregnant twice and my IBS went away each time for 9 months. It was wonderful!!!!
It's all hormonal related for me and I guess somehow my hormones liked me better pregnant! However, this body is done popping out babies!
Good luck with the pregnancy!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#89766 - 07/14/04 08:20 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I would be stressing too about the amnio. I always opted out of it because I never found a reason to have it. The results never mattered and it was just one more thing to do.

I'm not looking forward to my glucose test in two weeks. I usually get very jittery during it and I feel so sick. I also have to have a lovely RohGam shot that day and extra bloodwork for it. The following week will be fun and stressful too because I have to have my 5th sonagram. I found out at 20 weeks I had placenta previa so they are going to check to make sure my placenta has moved up, which I think it has. I am also going to have them double check the sex. I'd hate to get the room all girly only to find out at delivery it's a boy that was being shy.

#89999 - 07/14/04 01:48 PM
sphincts001

Amazing how every pregnancy is so different, isn't it? Well, if D is the worst complaint I end up having, I'll be happy. Thanks for sharing.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5231 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1765

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review