All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Dear all, please read
      #8907 - 05/13/03 05:20 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I'm sorry I haven't been posting as much lately. I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with me! I think I either have Celiac OR an inablitiy to digest sugars (glucose/sucrose/fructose) as I might be missing the enzyme needed to digest them. I am also curious to learn more about connections between ADD and food...if anyone knows any good links/sources, post away!

I'm also sick! I've had strep throat 5 times this year, and this is my fourth cold (the other colds became brunchitis/sinusitis...and I'm hoping this one won't)! So you can just imagine how many antibiotics I've taken this year--and I refuse to take more!!! Does anyone know what I can do to overcome a sinus infection OR bronchitus WITHOUT an antibiotic?

Heather--You're right! Rice is ok for Celiacs! But not for all...many Celiacs have problems with corn, potatoes, rice, soy, and chicken--and dairy too! Did you know corn is in EVERYTHING? There's maltodextrin in my probiotics!!! I couldn't figure out how they were upsetting my stomach until I made the connection (I thought I was NUTS)! Btw, is a casein a milk protein? Heather, thank you again for all your help! I'll keep you posted as I go and let you know what I find out--please do the same! ((((hugs))))

Angela--I'm SO GLAD about your mom--that's WONDERFUL news!!!!!!!!!! I'm SO HAPPY for YOU!!!! ((((hugs))) Please keep us updated! I wish it hadn't taken so long for this to happen--but I'm glad it did! Hopefully your mom will be able to be more understanding now--and hopefully your relationship will grow as well! I am sorry though to know your mom went through so much pain...alone (and your grandfather too)! I hope you and your mom will find the cause of your symptoms and get better soon! (I'm sure you will)! And remember--we're always here for you! ((hugs)) Good luck--take care!

Kerrie--I'm SO SORRY to hear your news! Please forgive me for not being in touch...I'll write soon! How is everything going for you? I've been thinking about you throug out! You're a WONDERFUL person--and a great mom--and I feel strongly there should b more moms/people like you in the world! You're VERY caring! I pray that you have as many children as you want!!! You deserve it! You are VERY STRONG and I'm sure you'll be fine--but if you ever have a weak moment (we all do)! please write! We're here you (((biggest hugs)))

Lorna, Han, H2, Tnchawk, Barb, Mags, and everyone--Thanks for always being there and responding to my posts. I love you all!

Susaloh--I am also concerned about my nutritional health! What with eating potatoes and living on Ensure! I am doing as MUCH reading as I can...I went to the library Sunday (they aren't open on Sunday--I was livid!) in search of nutritional books. I am interested to know exactly what and how much of EVERYTHING your body needs--from protein to sugar to vitamins/minerals! I may end up at an allergist for food testing, a nutrtionist for my nutritional questions--but I am trying to figure out what I "have" first! I hope to try a new GI (I'll see how long an appointment takes) and hopefully that wil help with a diagnosis. If not, I'll be going it solo until I can get appointment! If I get ANY nutritional info. I will be happy to share with you! How long have you been eating this way? I hope you'll be able to incorporate more in your diet soon! Do you have food intolerances (allergies, sensativities)? Good luck--we'll keep each other posted!

BritSarah--Thank you AGAIN for the soup info.! I've yet to try it--I'll have to wait until I feel better again...but I'm very much looking forward to it!

Michelle--How are you doing? How's your plan coming along? We're thinking about you...please write back and let me know how it's going! (((hugs)))

Andie--Sorry I've been absent from the hypno. board. How's it going for you? I also felt like I was trying with the star session...it seemed a bit unnatural--as I've listened more and more I'm beginning to relax a bit--did you find the same? I hope all's well with you, keep in touch! ((hugs))

Rachel/Beth-- How are you doing? We haven't heard from you in a while! I wanna know how the past couple of weeks went for you?! Is the counselor working out? I hope so...and I hope you feel MUCH better! (((hugs)))

GEA--I miss you! I hope you're ok...

LegaGal--Did you get your test results back yet? I'm anxious to hear your news--either way! Please let us know how things are going--what the results show--and your plan of action You have a GREAT attitude and I'm sure things will all work out for you!

I know there are other folks I need to catch up with...and I'll try! Thanks again to everyone here for their support and caring! I hope everyone is doing well!

(((BIG HUGS)))

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dear all, please read new
      #8928 - 05/13/03 07:55 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Ruchie, you are such a dear to ask about me! I have to say it's been harder than I expected. I sort of panicked after Eric took the scale away and went downhill instead of the other way. Now I'm actually on a literal eating plan, and I talk to "mom" during each meal that Eric is not here, when Eric is here he "talks" me through it. It's the thought process that is so messed up around this whole thing. Anyway, thanks for asking - I'm getting there! Still praying through, too! I SOOO hope you start to feel better soon, don't worry about not posting much, I mainly "lurk" these days and just interject when I have something to add to a question, etc. ((((((Hugs))))))))

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Re: Ruchie, Michelle new
      #8935 - 05/13/03 08:29 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Ruchie, that was a great post! How do you keep track of everyone - it takes me a few days to notice if people haven't been posting, and I log on every day. I really hope you start feeling better now on your g-f diet, you are always so concerned for everyone else. It's lovely to know people are looking out for you, isn't it?

Michelle - I didn't add anything on to your previous posts about your weight, but looking at that picture of your gorgeous daughter, just think.. you spend your time making sure she and your other children are healthy, eat well and are good weights - think about what they would want for you. Anyhow, from your picture you look great as well, don't spoil it.

Take care, both of you
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

Re: Ruchie, Michelle new
      #8936 - 05/13/03 08:31 AM
Snow for Sarala

Sarah,

You're SO SWEET! Thank you! I'll let you know how things go for me!

I agree with your comments to Michelle--Michelle, we love you, and your family loves you and needs you! I give you major props for taking care of yourself no matter how hard it is!

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Hang in there Ruchie...and yes, casein is a dairy protein. -nt- new
      #8958 - 05/13/03 11:39 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Ruchie, new
      #8989 - 05/13/03 01:45 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Ruchie,
thank you so much for the utmost positive and wondersul support! I am very glad that me and mom are 'connected' now too, I just wish she was more understanding when I would cry for hours on end in my room because she refused to understand my pain, but oh well, thats in the past now, and i must move on. The possibility of celiacs is very big at the present moment, but everyone can tell im not taking it very seriously because im munching on bread/pretzles/crackers more than ever. Im not sure when my mom will get a positive answer on celiacs or not, but if i find out I do have celiacs, i may just die in shock....lol. Anyway, thanks so much, i will def. keep you updated daily

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: Hugs to you... new
      #9001 - 05/13/03 03:49 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Ruchie,

You would have to be one of the most kind and considerate people I have ever known! Here you are going through such a tough time and yet you are keeping track of other people's cares and concerns and doing everything you can to support them.

I am really hoping you come up with some answers soon and find some foods that agree with you. I am thinking of you every day and only wish ther was something more I could do.

You really give me inspiration and hope in dealing with my own situation.

All the best and hugs for you too!

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#9005 - 05/13/03 05:36 PM
Andie

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Western NY

Wow, Ruchie - you covered a lot of ground in your post! You are so good with keeping up with everyone as individuals! I am so sorry things are not improving for you. It does sound like there is some investigating to do still. The library sounds like a good place to get info, but have you thought about a nutritionist? It might be a good short cut for you with a personal touch (and you are clearly such a warm people-person!!) The HT is going well - I am just letting go on the visualization/star thing. As its been said, its a sub-conscious focus anyway. It does seem to be helping, although today's been a rough day because I ate a meal I thought would be safe last night at a restaurant only to find out too late that it was LOADED with garlic. But in general, my symptoms have been better with way more good days than bad. This has probably been covered already, but are you sure Ensure is IBS safe? As for the strep and the colds/sinusitus/brochitis - sooo sorry to hear about your battle there too. Do you take echinacea or zinc? I have used Zicam (spray) just as I've felt colds coming on and two out of two times, I've been able to avoid them. Preventive measures are your best bet. Lots of sleep, too! You are amazing that you can stay so sweet and energetic sounding in your posts when you are feeling so poorly. You must be such a valued friend and family member to those in your life. You definitely are on this board! Take care - my thoughts and prayers are with you!
Andie

#9024 - 05/14/03 05:48 AM
Snow for Sarala

Andie,

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear about the garlic incident...yikes! I hope you're feeling better already! As for the good days you're having--that's WONDERFUL! *hugs*

I'm glad to hear the HT is going well. I'm on my don't listen days and then it's back to side 2...I guess I'm regressing

About the Ensure, I get the low fat ones. They should be IBS safe. The main thing for me right now is to make sure I have enough nutrition, and to add foods back gradually as per my self-made elimination diet (not sure this is the best way to go...but it will do until my appointment with my new doc on MONDAY!!!! I finally made the decision to get a second and maybe even a third opinion!

Thanks so much for all the compliments--*blushing* I LOVE people and I love seeing people happy!

I know things will get better. It takes time, knowledge, and experience though! Time to figure things out, knowledge to know what questions to ask, and what the answers mean, and experience through trial and error of finding out what works and what doesn't. But boy the wait is LONGGGGGG

I will def. keep you posted as to how I'm doing! I'll also let you know how the appointment goes Mon. Please keep me updated on how things are with you too!

(((((big hugs))))

Ruchie

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#9039 - 05/14/03 07:50 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Hi Ruchie,
I am so impressed with the details you remember in people's lives on the board. You are awesome!!!
Have you had food allergy tests done? Have you found a new Doctor who is willing to listen to you?
My sister-n-law had food allergy tests done a year ago and she found out she is allergic to some of the foods you are mentioning in your post. She does not have Celiac.
I am still researching for an artiacle I read last Fall about other causes for villi flattening. It isn't always Celiac. If I remember right an allergy to chicken and milk can cause villi flattening.
I still believe it is a good idea for you to see a good, caring Doctor. You should have a Professional helping you through the food stuff. I went through three Doctors before settling with my current Doc.
The other thing you can do is going under Google.com and do a search on Elimination Diet. At least that will give you a guide line.
I hope this is helpful. I know I am rambling and hope I made myself clear. I have been sick since Sunday, so I am trying to catch up with personal e-mail and the posts.
Barbara

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2060 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1628

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review