All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Children
      #88706 - 07/11/04 09:13 AM
Children11

Reged: 07/11/04

My son turned 3 in May. His pediatrician continues to tell me to manage my son's constipation and fecal soiling using fiber (never made distinction between soluble/insoluble). My son's been urinating since age 2 using the toilet but rarely uses it for bowel movement, as he seems afraid because of huge voids, which occur about once a week. Is it time for him to see a pediatric gastroenterologist?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Children new
      #88722 - 07/11/04 11:20 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hey there
I don't have a child, but I always believe in 'it can't hurt' in these kind of situations....why not take your child to see the gastro and see if it can help. The younger it is that he learns to manage these issues, the better for him. It must be very hard for you. Good luck.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Re: Children new
      #88729 - 07/11/04 11:52 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

I agree, it might help to take him to a gastroenterologist.

Here is some general info fyi, some might not apply do to his age.

but

FYI

Defecation Anxiety Linked to Functional Constipation in Children

Charlene Laino

Oct. 15, 2003 (Baltimore) — Children with functional constipation have significantly more anxiety related to toileting behavior than healthy children — anxiety. This anxiety makes them more likely to continue to suffer from the problem, a prospective study suggests.

Moreover, some of these children develop generalized anxiety, reported researchers from the Cleveland Clinic Foundation.

"Constipated kids were not generally anxious overall, but among those with defecation anxiety we saw an increase in general anxiety," said Gerard Banez, PhD, a child psychologist at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation. "This does not prove cause-and-effect, but does suggest that those constipated children with greater defecation anxiety also exhibit increased general anxiety."

Painful bowel movements can make a child fearful of pain, Dr. Banez said. That fear can be generalized to sitting on the toilet.

The research was described here today at the American College of Gastroenterology 68th annual scientific meeting.

Up to 7.5% of children suffer from constipation, which accounts for about 3% of visits to pediatricians and up to 25% of visits to pediatric gastroenterologists, according to data cited in the study.

According to the researchers, constipation carries a host of physical and psychological consequences, and defecation anxiety is often implicated as a primary contributor to constipation.

Dr. Banez and colleagues studied 98 boys and girls aged 6 to 18 years who suffered from functional constipation. The youngsters completed the Defecation Anxiety Scale–Self-Report and Revised Children's Manifest Anxiety Scale, which measures generalized anxiety. The parents also rated their children's defecation anxiety on the Defecation Anxiety Scale–Parent Rating Scales.

By both self-report and parent report, children with functional constipation were found to have significantly more defecation anxiety than healthy children or children with asthma, the researchers said.

Overall, 70% of the children reported defecation anxiety compared with 58% of a control group of healthy children and 65% of children with asthma. The parents reported that 82% of their children suffered from defecation anxiety.

In addition, 30% of the children with constipation reported generalized anxiety. The greater the defecation anxiety, the greater the generalized anxiety, Dr. Banez said. Children with defecation anxiety have a higher chance of having generalized anxiety, although some children with no significant generalized anxiety still had defecation anxiety, he added.

Physicians who see children with constipation anxiety should rule out any medical cause, Dr. Banez said. Also, consider defecation anxiety in the differential diagnosis of any child whose parents report that their child seems to be withholding stool, is tearful at the urge to use the toilet, or shows vigorous resistance to using the toilet, he said.

Also, physicians should discuss strategies that promote relaxed toilet sitting as well as suggest dietary changes — possibly with a stool softener thrown in — to promote softer stools, Dr. Banez said.

William Whitehead, MD, professor of medicine at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, said he has had some luck treating constipation anxiety with biofeedback, although he said that studies in Europe suggest that laxatives work just as well as the relaxation technique.

The question now, he said, is whether anxiety is the cause or the consequence of constipation. ?This study doesn?t really tell us, but it is still a major advance, the first trial I know of where they have linked defecation and anxiety directly using such a systematic approach.?

ACG 68th Annual Scientific Meeting: Abstract 723. Presented Oct. 15, 2003.

Reviewed by Gary D. Vogin, MD

Something just to know

Kids Take Sickness Cue From Parents

http://preventdisease.com/news/articles/kids_sickness_parents.shtml

FYI

J Spec Pediatr Nurs. 2003 Jul-Sep;8(3):81-9. Related Articles, Links

Recurrent abdominal pain in children: forerunner to adult irritable bowel syndrome?

Jarrett M, Heitkemper M, Czyzewski DI, Shulman R.

Department of Biobehavioral Nursing and Health Systems, University of Washington, Seattle, USA. jarrett@u.washington.edu

ISSUES AND PURPOSE: Review the etiology and pathophysiology of recurrent abdominal pain (RAP) and its potential role as a precursor to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in adults. CONCLUSIONS: Physiological mechanisms not easily identifiable as an organic cause may underlie symptoms in RAP patients. They may be triggered by psychosocial factors that result in greater functional disability, more clinic visits, and lower academic and social competence. Of these children, 25% will experience similar symptoms as adults; many will be diagnosed with IBS. PRACTICE IMPLICATIONS: Nurses can provide early and efficient management of these children's care if they view the issues of abdominal pain/discomfort from a broader focus that includes the context of the child's experiences.

PMID: 12942886

Mind-Body Technique Eases Kids' Gut Pain

Kids Have Fewer Days of Abdominal Pain When Using Relaxation Technique

webmd

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/72/81542.htm?lastselectedguid={5FE84E90-BC77-4056-A91C-9531713CA348}

and a really good gi health site for kids

About Kids GI Health

http://www.aboutkidsgi.org/

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Yep, he should see the doc... new
      #88868 - 07/11/04 08:33 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

not just to make sure things like celiac or Hirschsprung's disease are ruled out, but also so you can get better info on how to manage the constipation. What you don't want is for your little boy to get really bad associations of pain/discomfort with his bowel movements at such a young age, because that will just spiral into an ever more vicious cycle of fear and worsening constipation.

Ask the GI doc about a soluble fiber supplement, and adding as much insoluble fiber as possible through easy to digest means (blended fruit smoothies, pureed veggie soups and bean dips, etc.). I'd make sure he's not eating any red meat or dairy - he doesn't need it, and it will only exacerbate the constipation. Also ask the GI doc about the youngest age for using peppermint oil caps - they've done clinical studies on their use in children with IBS (check the research library under herbs).

If the problem persists, when he's a year or two older he might be a good candidate for gut-directed hypnosis. I'm not sure what the youngest age can be for that (it wouldn't hurt anything if he's too young, I'm just not sure he'd understand the program enough for it to be effective). You might post about that on the hypnosis forum as I'd bet ShawnEric will know.

Best of luck, and please keep us posted.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

This sounds familiar! new
      #88909 - 07/12/04 06:03 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I just want you to know I had the same experience with my oldest. I didn't get him to use the toilet for bm's until he was about 4! He was so "afraid" (for lack of a better word) that he would literally poop in his sleep! I got up to change pullups at 2-3 in the morning for 2 years! BUT, he did finally get over the hang-up.

At almost 11 years old now, he still doesn't poop very often - twice a week is about usual for him - but he is a vibrant, healthy child. I know we talked to our pediatrician about it at the time, but we didn't wind up needing to do anything special. I am seriously thinking of adding Acacia to his diet now that I've discovered it and it is so gentle to the tummy.

I hope your situation resolves soon. I just thought I'd let you know I have an infrequent pooper on my hands too, and he is thriving.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Yep, he should see the doc... new
      #91766 - 07/20/04 10:20 AM
Children11

Reged: 07/11/04

Thank you, Heather, for your input. Since my initial posting on 7/11/04, I've made numerous changes in my son's diet, including eliminating dairy and red meat, and have introduced the correct type of fiber, soluble fiber. What a difference. He would sweat while he slept until his clothes were drenched. This has stopped, and he even commented! No more fecal soiling. No more huge voids, rather, much smaller--in the toilet, by the way--at about a rate of every 2-3 days. No more tears from pain. I cannot say thanks enough. Not sure if I need to proceed with soluble fiber supplements, but based on the need to rule out other possible ailments, based on your response, seems like I need to get an appointment with gastro just in case. THANKS.

Wanted to add something from a child who had this problem... new
      #91801 - 07/20/04 11:39 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello,

I was happy to read your post saying that your son's situation has improved, I just wanted to add something in case it might still be helpful.

I had a similar problem when I was young. I got severely constipated once as a child and when I finally "went" it was so painful I became fearful of going to the bathroom. I don't remember everything but my parent's said it got so bad that I would do this little dance, and even throw myself on the floor and writhe around, to try and avoid having to go to the bathroom (not good). Anyways, I don't remember a lot of it but I definately think it contributed to some of the problems I had later in life, especially with my inreased sensitivity and focus on BMs.

At one point my parents ended up giving me enemas at the doctors suggestion, and let me just say, if you can avoid it, from a child's perspective, I wouldn't recommend it. I can't remember any of the problems or writhing or anything like that, but I remember the enemas...and I still do...and it was a horrible thing to experience at such a young age.

I sincerely hope that Heather's diet suggestions help eliminate this problem for you...all the docs did for me was suggest prune juice (not real helpful)...so I hope Heather's info helps you

Kelly

Oh, this is wonderful news!! new
      #91845 - 07/20/04 03:10 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I am so happy to hear he's much better - that is just great. Please do keep us posted on any new findings.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Yep, he should see the doc... new
      #91865 - 07/20/04 03:55 PM
jonsie57

Reged: 06/08/04
Loc: dallas, texas

Just to add my 2 cents worth again...My son had the same problem from the time he was born to about age 13....As an infant the stools were so enlarged we had to do certain things to get it to come out. we changed his formula so many times finally ending up with a soy formula....
By the time he reached age 7 to 13 he had impacted stools causing so much pain he was taken to the hospital where they had to remove some of it....Finally he was given plenty of water and fiber foods which seemed to help, but I was told over and over again that his intestines needed to be stretched....something about him being a premie and the intestines were underdeveloped....
but in any case a doctor would direct you, and since he is so young there might be alternatives. Does he drink milk and have lots of dairy? that seems to be a culprit..anyway I hope he gets better soon and you get some help for him..

Re: This sounds familiar! new
      #298382 - 01/29/07 07:15 AM
rimjobber69

Reged: 01/04/07

well it happened to me too ,a lot later in life than you describe ,I was 14 when ibs-c hit me so bad I had to get weekly Fleet Mineral Oil Enemas to keep from going to the hospital it was so painful!!It took 6 years to get off the enemas but they saved my life and bowels for sure

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 634 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2182

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review