All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anyone here had their gallbladder taken out?
      #8835 - 05/12/03 04:46 AM
meg

Reged: 01/29/03

I've not visited in a few weeks. I had my gallbladder taken out on Monday of last week. I won't go into all the details, but WOW am I glad that's over! Anyway, for the first few days I was "going" like crazy, and then I skipped a day and then I went one time two days ago, but I've not been back since and I'm afraid the constipation is coming back. I know it's really too soon to tell, but I am paranoid about the constipation. Everyone tells me that I won't have to worry with the constipation now with the gallbladder gone, but it seems to still be bothering me. Anyone else had their gallbladder taken out? How are you doing now? How long did it take for you to see a routine to your bowel movements, if ever? And especially, how has it affected your IBS and food sensitivities?

I pray someone can answer these questions for me. For once in so many years I actually have hope...

Hugs to all,
Meg

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone here had their gallbladder taken out? new
      #8845 - 05/12/03 08:10 AM
BarbBT

Reged: 04/05/03
Loc: Chicago suburb, IL

Hi Meg,
I debated about whether or not to respond to your questions, because I don't want to unneccesarily worry you, but on the other hand..."forewarned is forearmed" as they say.

I had my gallbladder out 7 years ago. After the surgery I had a lot of digestive problems, but my surgeon said that it would take at least 6 months for my body to adjust to not having a gallbladder.

After several months, I didn't have as many problems, but over the years I've continued to have problems and they have gotten worse. My gastroenterologist had these words of wisdom for me, "Doctors will tell you that you can live without a gallbladder, and you can. What they don't tell you is that it can alter your digestion and can be problematic."

I know that some people never have a problem after they've had their gallbladder removed. Hopefully, you'll be one of them. (My mother never had a problem after those initial first months.) I, unfortunately, wasn't that lucky. Heather's book suggests that IBS can be caused by stomach trauma and surgeries. Now it doesn't help that after my gallbladder was removed, I had another six abdominal surgeries, but I now believe that my IBS was caused (or at least aggravated) by my seven surgeries.

I firmly believe if I had known that this could happen to me, I would have been so much better off. For years I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. My doctor kept blaming all my problems on the removal of my gallbladder. Now I realize that if I had been "on the lookout" for IBS, I wouldn't have been so miserable for all these years because I would have known how to prevent the attacks.

You are in a much better position than I was because you're so well-informed. I think you need to try not to worry too much because it will take several months for your body to adjust to life without a gallbladder. However, if things continue to bother you after several months, your knowledge of IBS will help tremendously.

Be patient with your body...it needs to heal!

Hope this helps!
Barb

Thanks Barb... new
      #8850 - 05/12/03 09:57 AM
meg

You are not causing me any more worry than what I'm already going through. I know MANY people who've had their gallbladder's taken out and they are doing much better. My GB was in bad shape and would have had to come out sooner or later. In fact, I've had gallbladder problems for many years now, so it's for the best for me. I just am unclear about having both the GB out and IBS. I just don't know what to expect. Thanks for your reply...

Meg

#8874 - 05/12/03 03:38 PM
SarahB

Reged: 03/18/03
Loc: Cortland, New York

Meg,

I had my gallbladder removed in June. My symptoms are better than they were but they are not completely gone. My doctor has said that it is very possible that the gallbladder was not the only problem so we are still looking. I know that once you have your gallbladder removed you don't digest fat as easily so you have to be careful, but I honestly though I would feel better than this.

As for the constipation, I still have a problem with that. I was also told that constipation would go away, but it hasn't. I hope that you have good luck and you are one of the lucky one with no problems.

Sarah

Thanks Sarah... new
      #8905 - 05/13/03 05:01 AM
meg

I sure was hoping this would be the answer for me and my tummy. I know I'll always have IBS, but I thought with the GB taken out I'd have at least a fighting chance. It has helped tremendously with some of the indigestion, but the constipation factor is still there it seems. I will go as high as over 30 days with only one bowel movement. I hope the surgery will help to improve on this problem, if only just a little. Thanks again for the support!

Megan

#8971 - 05/13/03 12:16 PM
mystomach

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: los angles

I had my GB out in 92, and shortly after was diagnosed with IBS. I've been suffering every since. I don't know which is worse the GB pain or the IBS. I guess IBS, because my GB didn't have me in the bathroom all the time. This IBS thing is really terrible. If you need the surgery have it. I had 7 stones the largest 9.8mm, so I had no choice. I just wish one day my stomach will be normal. Good luck to you!

Re: Anyone here had their gallbladder taken out? MyStomach new
      #8973 - 05/13/03 12:18 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there! Welcome to the board! I love your username--that's adorable and witty! I just want to welcome you and to say feel free to post any questions you have here. Everyone is very friendly and suportive! We look forward to hearing more from you soon!

Always,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Did you develop IBS after your gallbladder removal? new
      #8977 - 05/13/03 12:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

If you didn't have IBS before your gallbladder removal, and urgent diarrhea is now one of your problems, check this info (it's an excerpt from the First Year IBS book)

Had your gallbladder out?

If your IBS symptoms are diarrhea-predominant, and began after you had your gallbladder or ileum (the last portion of the small intestine) removed, you likely are suffering from a malabsorption of bile acids secreted by the liver. These acids, which are normally stored in the gallbladder, are instead being dumped directly into the small intestines, causing chronic irritation and diarrhea. The prescription drug Questran (cholestyramine), which binds the bile acids in the intestines and prevents them from reaching the colon, can help this problem and should cure your "IBS". The bad news is you'll probably have to take Questran for the rest of your life. The good news is you don't have IBS.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Did you develop IBS after your gallbladder removal? new
      #8979 - 05/13/03 12:44 PM
Wolfie

Reged: 05/06/03

Mine showed up after a nasty bout of salmanella poisoning when I was fourteen. I was "normal" for years, and then it kicked back in when I was pregnant with my older child. Now that I'm pregnant again, it seems to have returned.

#8990 - 05/13/03 01:48 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Sounds like gallbladder influenced IBS is a great thing cause its curable! I also heard that calcium can help with gallbladder ibs.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#8991 - 05/13/03 02:56 PM
BarbBT

Reged: 04/05/03
Loc: Chicago suburb, IL

Angela,

You're right that gallbladder influenced IBS is a great thing...but only WHEN it is curable! My doctor had me on Questran several times over the last several years, and it did nothing for me. I had to have my gallbladder out because I was unable to eat ANYTHING without severe cramps so I don't regret the surgery. However, I never expected to have life-long problems even after the surgery. Oh well...at least I have Heather's diet to help me!

Barb

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4381 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1779

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review