All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: What to eat...Han new
      #8719 - 05/09/03 11:18 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Ruchie - Are you sure about the rice? I've always heard that it's a safe staple for celiac. My aunt is gluten intolerant and she lives on rice. Have you tried just plain white sticky rice or rice noodles?

Also - check your largest health food market for pre-packaged mixes that are gluten free. I've seen these for breads, pancakes, biscuits, etc. Check the label to make sure they're low fat and dairy free, and you should be just fine. I'd also get the Gluten Free Gourmet books by Betty Hagman and modify her recipes to the IBS guidelines (if you're stumped just post the recipe on the recipe board and we'll help you).

Root veggies are good - not just white potatoes but sweet potatoes, rutabagas, beets, turnips, parnsips. They roast beautifully and also make great soups.

I have heard oatmeal may be okay as well - it does have gluten, but recent studies have shown that the gluten does not cause problems for celiac the way wheat gluten does. You might still be cautious here though.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What to eat new
      #8720 - 05/09/03 11:22 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Ruchie,

I remember one snack that someone suggested I try when I was being tested for everything (including Celiac). It was a chip called Cheecha Crackles. I could only find them at health food stores at first, but I've started seeing them pop up at the grocery stores too. The plain variety is boring. My favorite is the salt and vinegar flavoured ones. If you can find them in your area, they make a great snack.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Lorna

Soda...ME too! new
      #8722 - 05/09/03 11:41 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I am in the 5% as well; soda is one of the worst things that people can put into their bodies and I see people drinking it ALL DAY! GROSS! Plus, it doesn't do well for me with the IBS...so that is reason ENOUGH!

-Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Re: Soda...ME too! new
      #8723 - 05/09/03 11:49 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Soda...goes down your throata...into your esophagus, and into your stomach...
It can hurt you...and even burp you...it's really really gross, c'mon, people don't you know?
Carbonation gives you gas...now tell me who wants that? I can guarantee you no one with IBS....

At the Soda...the Soda boycott

(to the tune of Copacabana)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#8726 - 05/09/03 12:54 PM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

WOW! What a talent!!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#8728 - 05/09/03 01:03 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

I agree, soda sucks! lol. When ya look at the label it reads high fructrose corn syrup, caffeine, carbonated water. WHats so exciting about that?My brothers live on soda, and i think its terribly disgusting.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1746 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2146

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review