All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to site and loving it!
      #83822 - 06/27/04 05:22 PM
phinkle

Reged: 06/27/04

Hello everyone! I'm new here, just found the site last week, and I feel like I've found salvation. I've had IBS w/ constipation for 3 ½ years, and I had just been able to give it a name through a ton of research. I know that it is stress from my job, getting up at 3am every morning and working till 3 pm coz it started when I started my job! I've gone in and out of different diets, you name it; they'll work for maybe 2-3 weeks, then I'm right back to harsh bloat, gas, constipation, and horrible pain when I finally do go. I rarely get diarrhea, so I sympathize with those that have it- but these last few years have been no picnic.
I know I'm really going to get it for this, but I have not been to a doctor- I know, I have to! Honestly, my doctor of 9 years makes me feel like a hypochondriac (esp. since I'm youngish-24), so I'm in pursuit of a doctor in the Seattle area that is familiar with IBS and can properly diagnose my symptoms. Can anyone recommend a good female general prac. Doc?
I've tried everything to help my digestive system- from acidophilus, aloe (I just read that article on it- aloe no more!), flax oil, exercise, water; for the past year I've had a steady diet of whole grain/wheat everything, vegetables, little fruit (gas!), yogurt. Come to find out, my diet had been almost all insoluble fiber! So this week I've been experimenting with foods. I'm already a vegetarian, so that was no problem, and I already use soy milk and other products. I rid my fridge of dairy yogurt and cheese, and bought white bread, rice and papayas! And you know what? I have not been half as bloated and gassy this week as I normally am! I am already feeling better, and I have to give a million thanks to this web site and all of your amazing posts, and recipes.
Thank you everyone!!!!
Patty

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Welcome! I have a great general GP in Seattle, new
      #83827 - 06/27/04 05:25 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

her name is Cassandra Giedt and she's at Providence/Swedish on Capitol Hill. She's not a GI doc but I'm sure she'd refer you to one for a proper diagnosis. Can't say I've seen her much for IBS but I think she's smart as a whip, kind, compassionate, and not afraid to admit she just plain doesn't know something when she's stumped. Love her!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Welcome! new
      #83829 - 06/27/04 05:34 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hi Patty! Welcome to the boards! If you have any questions, jump in and ask - everyone here is SO helpful, even if all you need is a virtual shoulder on the bad days.

I'm not even going to start in about the doctor thing, because I know. I haven't been formally diagnosed yet, either - I'm 29, and I've had this, on and off, for years. I had a lot of doctors, when I was younger, treat me like a hypochondriac, too, so I know the feeling. I can't help you with a recommendation, since I'm not in your area, but maybe someone else will have some suggestions for you. I'm glad you do know you do need to see a doctor. (And yes, I finally have an appointment too! Scary!)

So glad to hear the diet's working out so well for you already! That's fantastic!

Re: New to site and loving it! new
      #83839 - 06/27/04 06:33 PM
bigblue

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: New Jersey...USA

Welcome, glad to hear your doing better. On the days you still feel bloated & gassy I can`t say enough about fennel tea. One sugar with soy milk vanilla. It`s worked wonders for me. You can buy it here. Good luck & this site is life changing. Check back often.

#83859 - 06/27/04 08:20 PM
Cathie

Reged: 06/21/04

Welcome-NT

#84004 - 06/28/04 09:17 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

A great big WELCOME, Patty!! Glad you found us.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#84007 - 06/28/04 09:20 AM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

phinkle welcome to the board. we are all here to help you with questions about ibs. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#84085 - 06/28/04 01:13 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Welcome Patty! I'm so glad that the diet is really helping you. Heather is amazing and knows her stuff!! We are all here for you if you need anything.....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1245 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 663

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review