All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Need Help Confused - Heather and Everyone
      #8229 - 05/04/03 08:55 AM
bikingmom

Reged: 05/04/03
Loc: North Dakota

Hi everyone. I just started the program a couple of weeks ago. I have been suffering with IBS forever I think but it has steadily gotten worse the last couple of years to the point where I have constant pain under my left sided rib cage and nausea. I get attacks of extreme vomiting and pain that just totally debillitate me. I've had all the testing done and I have now been started on Zelnorm and it has taken a majority of my pain away which is absolutely wonderful!!!!!!

I have been a candida diet (thinking this was the problem of my pain) for the past two years and am having trouble switching over to this new diet. I have been following the guidelines but find that my body doesn't seem to agree with the foods anymore. I have developed canker sores and my teeth hurt whenever I eat the french bread. I don't know if this is a reaction to having yeast again since I have been yeast free for the last couple of years or what. Plus I have been so extremely tired that I can hardly keep myself awake which is so incredibly unusual for me and have a hard time getting out of bed. I just feel blah...

I am just so confused because I want to rid myself of the pain and nausea on my own and eventually wean myself off the medication with the diet. I have been doing the peppermint tea and taking my supplements and sticking to the basics of the diet but just feel so crappy and need some advice please!!!!! I'm confused if I'm making the right changes in my diet or what?!?!?! Thank you!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need Help Confused - Heather and Everyone new
      #8230 - 05/04/03 09:30 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Hi! Welcome to the board. I think any major change in diet is going to come as a bit of a shock to your body, especially if you were on a restricted diet before. You could just leave out the bread for now, and go for other safe staple foods like rice, oatmeal, pasta and cornmeal.Are you taking a soluble fiber supplement? This should help as well.
I'm sure lots of other people will chip in with more advice that I can think of right now, everyone is very supportive so keep posting.
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#8234 - 05/04/03 09:56 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Bikingmom: I have the same problem but with different foods. I can't tolerate high carbohydrate foods any longer. So foods like pasta and potato are out, which are some of the main items for the IBS diet. Try taking off the crust of the bread and maybe eating it like a bread pudding. There's a recipe somewhere on here for it, click on the search tab and you can find it. I don't eat much bread because of the high carb content and I'm doing fine with the diet. Just accomodate it to your own body, we all process foods differently. There are a lot of choices, find the right fit for you. As for the canker sores, that's odd. Maybe someone here can help out on that one.

#8236 - 05/04/03 11:01 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Bikingmom,

Hi! Welcome to the board!!! Wow, canker soars...ouch! Which tests have you had done (I know you mentioned you've had tons of testing done)? I'm not so sure that canker soars from bread is normal...could you have an allergy to something you're eating? Did you always get soars from these foods or is this something new? Have you noticed other symptoms like itching or spots on your skin? I'm sure Heather can give you some ideas as to what might be going on...I'm just concerned that there might be somehting else to consider?

I agree with everyone else's comments...I would try rice as a starter. See how that does for you. Also, there's something out there called Quinoa, you might look into that (it's lower in carbs I believe).

I wish you lotsa luck! I hope you're feeling better soon! Keep posting! (((hugs)))

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#8240 - 05/04/03 12:13 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

I agree with Sarah. Just take it alittle bit at a time. When I first tried Heathers diet, and consumed more soluble fiber then I ever did before, I got gas to no end! But luckily, my body adjusted to the fiber change, and it worked out for all the better

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Edited by ConcreteAngel (05/04/03 12:14 PM)

#8242 - 05/04/03 03:53 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi,

I agree with what everyone else has said and it does take time to adjust to any change in diet. I would definately do it gradually.

Are you increasing the fiber supps gradually too?

Best of luck!
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#8246 - 05/04/03 05:45 PM
bikingmom

Thanks everyone for your posts. No have really never had canker sores before and when I have they went away within a couple of days. It has been a week now and it is finally going away... I think?! Just seems strange. The fatigue and nausea are what is getting me along with my teeth hurting, sore throat and the headache also when I eat. Very frustrating. I can tell it is a reaction to something of some type.

I have had the colonoscopy, ultrasounds abdomen, CT abdomen and pelvis, blood work, fecal fat testing, etc. Everything has been negative which is incredibly wonderful as I was so worried as the pain is so intense. I was tested for candida and found to have an overgrowth but while on that program my pain, nausea and attacks only became worse and so figured it was time to try something different. It was so hard to go on that diet as it is very restricting but just not helping my pain which is so extremely painful.

It is hard switching to an all new eating pattern after having worked so hard to change my diet before so I question everything I'm doing and get nervous as nothing is seeming to help as of yet. I'll definitely continue on but was wondering if any of this is normal to start out with or not. I just feel like not eating at all anymore as everything seems to be a trigger....

Tami

#8249 - 05/04/03 06:27 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Tami - I've never heard of any of those symptoms (canker sores, teeth hurting, sore throat, headache) for IBS, or switching to IBS diet. In your testing, have you tried allergy tests?

Oh, and welcome to the boards also!

#8274 - 05/05/03 11:43 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there - I'd call your doc to make sure you've been checked for celiac. You could have skin reactions to gluten (which is in wheat) as well as GI symptoms close to IBS if you have celiac. If that's not the case, it may simply be an adjustment as everyone has said.

Do try rice, which tends to be very well tolerated. It sounds like you're starting to improve a bit from your other post, so that's encouraging. Please do ask any other questions you have.

Also -there were some past threads on the candida/IBS theory with a lot of info if you're interested. Here's a post from a whole candida thread

Welcome to the board!

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: More Questions Heather and Everyone new
      #8281 - 05/05/03 12:59 PM
bikingmom

Thanks Heather and yes I have been tested for celiac a couple of times already. Maybe it is just a reaction to the different diet. I just worked so hard on my previous diet and am scared to go backwards again and am hoping that I am making the right decision but I am willing give it a try. Anything to help my symptoms!!!!!

I have really been dealing with nausea today and I have to admit that I am very scared to eat but I know I need to. I am a very active road cyclist and so I need my food to keep me going. The only thing that scares me is that the last few bike trips I have gone on I have gotten extremely sick from the IBS with extreme pain, nausea and vomiting. The last time I had to have the ambulance called in and I leave in another month and am scared it my happen again.

Is it possible that my body is just thrown off balance so bad when I go on these trips and am exerting my body so much? I bike approximately 500+ miles in a week. I am hoping this diet will help turn my life around so I don't have to deal with these episodes and this nausea on a day to day basis. Any advice for my biking?

Thanks,
Tami

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2875 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7664

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review