All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: Need Help Confused - Heather and Everyone new
      #8373 - 05/06/03 01:29 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Do you have a problem with eggplant and peppers? I'm wondering if you're sensitive to foods in the nightshade family. Some people are - it's not related to IBS, but sort of akin to have an allergy. You may have that along with the IBS. That would explain the potato reaction...

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#8378 - 05/06/03 01:38 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Tami,

I can TOTALY relate to everything you put in your mouth being a trigger. Since going gluten free, though, I see improvements.

I was just eating potatoes for about a week. Now I add one more food onto that per day. I have lists upon lists that I've gotten from various webcites citing which foods are gluten free/safe and which are not. Yesterday I added Kasha to my repetoire, today mashed carrots, and tomorrow plain white rice. The difficulty I am having is low nutrtion right now, so I take Ensure, which upsets my stomach. So it's tough to put things in my tummy when it's already upset and trying to figure out if carrots are a safety food! I say start the GF diet now. If you do it BEFORE you have nutrition problems it will make life MUCH easier for you!

On speck of gluten can ruin the whole test! Make sure you keep utensils and your counter top (and microwave/conventional over VERY CLEAN). Go through the lists of what to eat and what not to eat, go to Celiac.com for the lists, and be sure to stay GF! They also have a list of medicines that are GF, cosmetics, and even toothpastes! I'm not saying this easy...it's definately not! But, we can do it togehter! I'm not having fun eating next to nothing and taking Ensure to stay afloat--but I know it won't be this way forever. Some day I will be able to eat what I need nutritionaly--and it will feel GREAT--especially because I'll be pain free!!!!

If there's ANYTHING I can do to help you out--I'm here! If the info. for celiac gets overwhelming, write me and I promise I will write you back! I wish you luck and strenghth...you can do it! Feel good, take care, and Happy Tuesday!

(((((hugs)))))

Ruchie

P.S. Citrucel has gluten in it. If you decide to go gluten free, benefiber is gluten free!!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#8379 - 05/06/03 01:45 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi Ruchie - You may have better luck with Boost. Neither Boost nor Ensure are really IBS safe, and I don't know if Boost has gluten in it, but it's another option maybe.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#8385 - 05/06/03 02:29 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Heather,

Thanks! I'll check Boost out! I think my hubby said he got me Ensure because it has all the nutrients in it--do you happen to know off hand if Boost gives similair results--or is boost just to give you protein? Thanks Heather!!! I really appreciate it (((hugs)))

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#8695 - 05/09/03 06:19 AM
Stacey_Wikle1

Reged: 02/03/03
Loc: Kentucky

This may be a little late, since I am a little behind on everyone elses postings. As far as the canker sores, I get them quit frequently. And they are soo miserable! I have pretty much summed up that I get them when I am either stressed or not eating right. Which in turn is a result from stress. I have not found a cure for them yet. There are a few things that you can try for them. First you can gargle with peroxide, which I know sounds a little crazy, but it helps alittle. Just be sure not to swallow any of it. And second, Rembrandt has this newer toothpaste out that are for I believe the prevention of canker sores. I have been meaning to pick some up, but have not gotten around to it yet. Hope one of these help!

Stacey

Re: Canker Sores new
      #19388 - 09/02/03 03:05 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I've had a horrible canker sore for the past week and was surfing the internet on ways to get rid of them. While searching, I came upon an intersting article from iVillage.com that says there is an association between oral ulcers (which is what canker sores are) and other intestinal diseases, and that they are frequently seen in Crohn's disease.

I was wondering since IBS is similar to Crohn's disease if they are frequent with IBS too. I have about one or two every couple months, which is more frequent than I had before my IBS began. I did a search and found one or two people with canker sores, but was wondering if anyone else has found this a reaccuring problem?

Here's the link to the article, btw: web page

--------------------
- Jennifer

#19392 - 09/02/03 04:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - you should have no worries here. Mouth sores can occur with Crohn's because that is an inflammatory disease of the entire GI tract, from mouth to anus. This is completely different than garden variety canker sores, and also from IBS (which is not an inflammatory disease, but a specific bowel dysfunction).

But - if you notice recurrent canker sores, especially in assocation with bowel problems, running a fever, joint pain, diarrhea in the middle of the night - then please see a GI doc to make sure that you haven't been misdiagnosed with IBS when Crohn's (or celiac) might actually be a possibility.

- H

--------------------

#19453 - 09/03/03 08:29 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Oh.. no, I wasn't worried that I had Crohn's, just found that article interesting and wondered if it could be true for IBSer's too. But thanks for the info!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#19458 - 09/03/03 09:14 AM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

heres what you could put on your canker sore. alovera juice it tastes like water and looks like water. you gargle with each day and the canker soar disapperas. this alovera juice is found in health stores.

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#19496 - 09/03/03 11:00 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Also - you can just gargle with salt water. Be very liberal with salt into warm water. Stir it up and gargle, brush your teeth and go to bed. In the morning it should have decreased. You may want to try it again in the morning.

Sometimes if they are really bad I will rinse quite a few times in a night.

Hope this helps,

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 874 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7937

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review