All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New OTC counter drug for IBS?
      #79622 - 06/15/04 04:21 PM
rachelg

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: Texas,USA

I work at Walgreens D.C. and as I was working I noticed a "New" OTC med that said Digestive Advantage for IBS. It's supposed to help with gas,bloating,diarrhea,and constipation.Has anybody seen or tried this new OTC med?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New OTC counter drug for IBS? new
      #79625 - 06/15/04 04:23 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Bet it's just a new packaging of something old. I'd advise staying away from the OTC "IBS" meds as the pahrmacist won't neccassarily know enough about IBS or ask enough questions to prescribe it safely (ie. without making you worse). You need a doctor checking on your progress when you start a new drug!

#79631 - 06/15/04 04:36 PM
rachelg

That's what I thought,but being a "Newbie",thought I'd see what the "crowd" had to say. My doctor put me on a sub for Bentyl and it seems to be working pretty good. I'm still trying to "ease" the madness of IBS,and have been having flair ups-due to my "Lack of Knowledge" and trying to CHEAT on Heather's guidelines!!!!!!!!!!!I am getting the hang of things I think!!!!!!!!!!!!

Newbie new
      #79632 - 06/15/04 04:38 PM
Linz

It's a lot to deal with a first, isn't it. If you REALLY try and be good for a while, you'll stabilise a lot quicker. Then it'll be easier to cheat with less severe consequences!

Are you on a SFS (soluble fibre supplement) as well? I'd def. recommend this.

#79639 - 06/15/04 04:45 PM

Unregistered

Here's a web link for that product if anyone is interested. I don't see any problem with it. Let us know how it works for you. Are you IBS C, D, or A?

http://www.ganedenbiotech.com/index.php?page=DAIBS

Re: Newbie new
      #79640 - 06/15/04 04:46 PM
rachelg

Yes,it's ALOT to try to GRASP!!!!!!!!!! I am taking 3 metamucil caps at night,seems to be working for me-so far. I'm just really having to watch so closely what I eat and it drives me CRAZY!!!!!!!,but I'm learning that I really PAY for it,when I cheat

#79643 - 06/15/04 04:50 PM
rachelg

I am Ibs-a,but I'm predominate d!

Metamucil new
      #79644 - 06/15/04 04:51 PM
Linz

Sorry, I'm hopeless! I have no idea how much is in those capsules- does it say how many grams of soluble fibre are in each?

You want to start off at a low dose, but then work it up towards 12-15g a day (not everyone gets there and that's okay). You'll probably need to get a powder at some point, cos the capsules don't contain much and they get EXPENSIVE when you're taking loads and loads a day. Plus taking a ton of pills is a pain.

Re: Metamucil new
      #79762 - 06/15/04 08:20 PM
rachelg

I just checked and one serving is 6 pills and that contains 2g of soluable fiber(Yikes). I'm sure I'll be going to powder soon. Thanks for the eye opener!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty sure it's just a probiotic. -nt- new
      #79769 - 06/15/04 09:21 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3256 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1064

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review